Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:41AM

It is not even a religious cult. It is a fraudulent corporation & sociological cult. There is a difference. But a cult is a cult, of course.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:43AM

Well, if the atheists are right, all god based religions are a fraud.

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:52PM

At least atheists are right about religion ----- just wrong on God and an afterlife! Lucky for us religion is not true or many of us on Earth would go to their Hell as a penalty for not earning Heaven by paying for our salvation ------ by our time and money!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 08:02PM

explain to us how Atheists are "just wrong on God and an afterlife".

Date: November 23, 2014 12:09AM

Yeah, just like you are wrong about Zeus, the one true god.

The difference between you and me is that you believe in one less god that I do. You deny thousands of gods, I the same thousands +1.

No, we atheists are not wrong, you just have not put the god you believe in into the same perspective as the other thousands of gods that you deny.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 04:44PM

I suppose that is true to an extent but to me it hits the cult level when it exerts such control over trivial details of members lives and makes it very difficult for members to leave.

Date: November 23, 2014 12:09AM

Let me get this right, are you saying that a church being a fraud is OK so long as they are not a cult?

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:51AM

I know what "religions" are and what "cults" are. But what is a "sociological cult?"

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 07:24AM

There are theological cults and sociological cults. Many Christians consider Mormonism to be both. Personally, I don't go hunting for theological heresy, only for irrationality or deception.

A sociological cult uses mind control techniques to manage the members. All knowing leaders, shaming and shunning, forced confessions, distrust of outsiders, and so forth.

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 01:23AM

Sure it's a religion.
It's a man made piece of BS just like all the others.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 01:27AM

Mormonism 'disproves itself' by the specific claims it makes, but FAILS to deliver on, this is unlike mainstreet groupes (except Catholics).

I attend @ Seattle Mennonite, "religion" is (to me, anyway) secondary to being with others of same RL values. We seldom chat about (claimed ) miracles.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 01:48AM

Other religions are religion. The church is true-th. Jesus is the commander in chief, not that other guy. Thomas Monson is the most powerful man on Earth. You try to get a million people to watch a movie worse than The Dukes of Hazzard.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 06:57AM

Mormonism is a fraudulent religion which was created for the sole purpose of enriching its creators. Human beings have a natural tendency to speculate about the nature of the unknown and over time these speculations are codified as religious belief. Mormonism did not naturally develop in this manner. Mormonism did not originate from an ecstatic experience, a schism in a pre-existing religion, or gradual changes in religious practice over a long period of time. It was deliberately created by a small group of conspirators for an express purpose.

Within the Zion Curtain, it's real as the people inside don't know it's fake. Outside of the Zion Curtain it's a fraud.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 07:33AM

I think Joseph Smith had some ecstatic experiences, but not the ones he said he had. Methodist camp meetings emphasized the guilt-confession-forgiveness cycle, and I think he practiced that on his own sometimes. Joseph Smith, at least when younger, felt a lot of guilt for his personal sins and idle lifestyle.

Any angels he saw were most likely either purely metaphorical or inventions after the fact.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 11:51AM

A cult doesn't have to be religious to be a cult. There can be self-improvement cults, political cults (think North Korea) and even some marriages can be have the characteristics of a cult (mind-control elements.) So you are right on about Mormonism not being a religion but it can be a cult and a non-religion at the same time.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 02:19PM

The only difference between mormonism and say Christianity is the timeline.

So yes it is a religion. A stupid religion like all the others.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 03:40PM

and neither can religions

Therefor any religion claiming divine knowledge of God is a fraud.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 08:03PM

therefore all religious people are agnostics.

Posted by: dsp399 ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 10:16PM

And unless a religious person believes in every god ever presented, they are also atheist. And incredibly arrogant to believe they somehow found the correct god out of the thousands available for worship.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 10:21PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.