Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 09:24PM

Thanks to Book of Mordor for finding this for me!

Lyndon W. Cook, "The Revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith," p. 4:

Joseph Smith Jr. – Son of Joseph Smith and Lucy Mack. Born 23 December 1805 at Sharon, Windsor County, Vermont. Married Emma Hale at South Bainbridge, Chenango County, New York, 18 January 1827. …Sealed to wife, Emma, 28 May 1843.

So, compared against this -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Joseph_Smith's_wives

It puts Emma in with a bunch of teenagers. Nasty Ole Joe was one sick (insert bad word of choice here).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 10:29PM

We need to call what Smith did for what it is "adultry". He violated his temple covenants, degraded the institution of marriage by claiming that these women were his wives, and made fools of the millions of people who would later join his made-up religion. Sooner or later, mormon church leaders are going to have to get real about Smith's actions and what he and Brigham taught.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 10:30PM

Sooner rather than later. Thanks to the internet!

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 10:34PM

Every day I feel like more of a fool for having believed this CR@P.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 02:05AM

Pleased to be of service. That May 28 date is confirmed in a couple of other sources I was able to track down.

Andrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, The Words of Joseph Smith, Note 11, p. 294:

"Then, on successive days (28 and 29 May 1843), Emma was sealed to Joseph, and Hyrum and his wife, Mary Fielding, were sealed for time and eternity (Joseph Smith Diary, under dates given, Church Archives)."

Ehat & Cook referenced in Larry C. Porter and Milton V. Backman, Jr., "Doctrine and the Temple in Nauvoo," BYU Studies, Vol. 32, No. 1 (Winter 1992), p. 52.

From this we learn –

1. Hyrum Smith was sealed to Mary Fielding on 29 May 1843, again seven years after the alleged return of Elijah. While I'm sure that Hyrum was also a polygamist, I don't know if any sort of analysis has been done on Hyrum's wives.

2. The ultimate source for the sealing dates is Joseph Smith's own diary, which is now safely locked away in the church's archives – probably for good, at this stage.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 02:17AM

Does this mean that the dear Emma he apparently loved so much in the Prophet of the Restoration movie wasn't even his first sealing? God, she must have felt flattered.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 02:24AM

Ewww indeed. Have you taken a look at Rhoda Richards? She appears to have a complete moustache. He was at the very least an omnivore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 02:24AM by ladell.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 04:51AM

Just looks like a poor photograph, but even if she'd had a full moustache and beard, it's just a hormonal imbalance. She was still the victim of predators.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 06:11AM

He truly does make my skin crawl just like Jeffs. That is one reason I like this list, it shows pics. They were REAL people. Real VICTIMS.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:01PM

Ya, I was a little too flip

Posted by: Incognito564 ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:43PM

Too bad the pictures are not of the age when they were groomed and bedded by the pervert.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 01:15PM

I enjoyed this.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 02:12PM

Rhoda married her first cousin BREEDUM YOUNG after the death of the pedophile. If that isn't enough to get out the razor blades and slash one's wrists, I don't know what is.

I see how Utah's rate of suicide got so high....
it started with poor souls like Rhoda Richards. She had two of the slimiest shack up fake hubbies in history. It would be like marrying Charles Manson TWICE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 02:13PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:22PM

Wow. This really puts a face on the whole thing.

The more that is revealed the worse this gets for the Mormon church. As they say, the devil is in the details, and when you see the faces and the chronological order of it all, well, the details have fangs and the apologists are now up to their eyeballs and must be breathing through straws at this point. They better ask Santa for scuba gear for Christmas--and nose plugs.

Thank you Susan I/S and Book of Mordor.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:42PM

I love your description.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:29PM

What the hell does this mean?

Olive Grey Frost

After Smith's death, Frost became the eighteenth plural wife of Brigham Young. They married "for time only" on November 7, 1844, and she bore him no children.

So, this perfectly quashes the argument that plural marriage was "for eternity only". How can a plural marriage be "for time only"? What pray tell would be the benefit of this if not for an enriched harem?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 02:04PM

Helen Mar Kimball was NOT the only 14 year old JS raped.
Nancy Mariah Winchester, the daughter of one of JS's paid killers in the Danites gave JS his daughter too.
WTF? This man was a paid killer and he couldn't blow JS's head off for FUCKING his daughter? Really?
What a bunch of pussies.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: November 23, 2014 01:02PM

Joe not being to be sealed to Emma until after he had been sealed to a couple dozen other women really bothers me in light of all the grief temple weddings cause to so many families who can't participate.

Being sealed for the eternities has morphed from "Joe wants sex with lots of women" into today's "Families are Forever."
Old Conman Joe would have been proud.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.