Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Abaddon (diff computer) ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 11:23AM

I never save this stuff because I never think I'll need to recall it at a whim until I hear something utterly insane from a TBM and then wish I had it to recall.

I'm looking for some quotes by Mormon "apostles and prophets" that talked about

"we're going back to Missouri"
"some living will not pass until we're back in Missouri"
"this generation will see the Savior come back"

Crap like that that obviously is untrue and can't be fulfilled anymore because it was said 100+ years ago or any member that was alive at that time would be dead by now.

Any help would be great...thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 11:56AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 12:02PM

"I don't know that we teach that"

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 03:22PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 21, 2014 06:16PM

"those who have remained faithful will be selected to return to Jackson county, Missouri, and take part in the upbuilding of that beautiful city, the New Jerusalem."

-- Prophet Heber C. Kimball, Deseret News, May 23, 1931.

Posted by: poopstone) ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 12:32AM

This is what I can remember:
1) There was the Heber J. Grant dream given in G.C.(early 1900s) where he saw a group of Mormons/(maybe spirits?) going to the back east in covered wagons.
2) There's the Wilford Woodruff dream about canabalism in the last days. People leaving Salt Lake.
3) John Taylors revelation about that when the geneology leaves Little Cotton Wood (and the 12 leave as well) your suppose to know it's time to go to southern Utah or something like that.
4) B.Y. said (supposedly) Colorado city would be the head of the church and not the tail.
5) And don't forget JS's white horse prophesy where different colored horses/people fight to the death on the streets of Salt Lake "river's of blood flowing down the stree". (Read Mormon Mythelaneous)

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 07:08AM

Check out 3 Nephi 21: 22-24 for background. No time frame is given.

Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 03:41PM

Thx for the links and info everyone. The Mormon Think link is closest to what I'm looking for but i swear i read more detailed "prophecies" in GC or in seminary or institute manuals about a GA telling a group of people that they or some of them will be alive when Christ comes back.

Still trying to dig it up...

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 04:34PM

Alas the ownership of the Temple Lot is a minor detail God has yet to reveal.

Since possession is 9/10s of the Law as things are today, stands to reason the CoC has first dibs if and when it is wrestled away from the Hendrickites.

So tough luck you Salt Lake city slickers, bumpkins gotcha checkmated.

Oh, and get your mishies out of Ferguson Missouri pronto.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 06:37PM

How many more of these pipe dreams rendered by smoking the old fossilized crap straight from Horny Joe's smelly ass will the hapless mormies have to relinquish and let fade into the celestial cloud memory hole?

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: November 22, 2014 04:54PM

The Journal of Discourses is full of that crap. IIRC Wilford Woodruff was especially enthusiastic.

This is the most recent that I'm aware of, with BRM giving his apostolic approval of JS although it doesn't mention Missouri specifically:

Bruce R. McConkie, "Mormon Doctrine," pp. 692-93:

"Four days [after D&C 130], April 6, 1843, at the General Conference of the Church, while the Spirit rested upon him, the Prophet said: 'Were I going to prophesy, I would say the end would not come in 1844, 5, or 6, or in forty years. There are those of the rising generation who shall not taste death till Christ comes.'
The rising generation is the one that has just begun. Thus, technically, children born on April 6, 1843, would be the first members of the rising generation, and all children born, however many years later, to the same parents would still be members of that same rising generation. It is not unreasonable to suppose that many young men had babies at the time of this prophecy and also had other children as much as 50 or 75 years later, assuming for instance that they were married again to younger women. This very probable assumption would bring the date up to, say, the 2nd decade in the 20th century – and the children so born would be members of that same rising generation of which the Prophet spoke. Now if these children lived to the normal age of men generally, they would be alive well past the year 2000 A.D."

It's safe to say that no one alive today has a parent born before 1844.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.