Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 05:18AM

The dwarf planet between Mars and Jupiter is discovered to have bright lights from its surface resembling that of a terrestrial city in outer space, and now in NASA's most recent finding, a 3 mile high pyramid like structure towering above its surface ...

NASA says it won't stop until it gets to the bottom of it. Could this be Kolob? Or Land of the Lilliputians?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/23/us/feat-ceres-pyramid/index.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 05:28AM

Elohim is actually a little runt of a guy, not more than 1 inch tall -- to Him "Ceres" is the center of the Universe.

Pssst, he's a little touchy about His height so don't mention it in your prayers.

Posted by: WEEDER ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 09:08AM

I just had this "vision" of the first-vision, and unlike the movie, and what Joseph didn't say was that when Elohim appeared before him he was only 6 inches from the end of Joseph's nose -- now you know.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 09:13AM

As a scientist I am open to any possibility. That's my job. However, it's also my job to scrutinize implausible claims. Ceres has no air or water. How do the people live there? And: why are so many people fascinated by pyramids? They are really nothing special. They have no special powers. The Egyptian pyramids are burial mounds. They were not built by space invaders.

When photos were recently taken on Mars. everybody was so excited about flashes of light. Surely it had to be from sentient beings, right? Except that they weren't. The (single) photo that showed a flash of light was from a tandem camera. One side recorded a flash while the other side- taken at the exact same time, with the exact same equipment- showed no such flash.The flash was an artifact of some stray radiation striking one tandem lens but not the other.

Back to the pyramids- If NASA were to find a 10-mile high statue of Emma Watson- now that would be really something!

Thank you.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 12:50PM

"Of course, NASA hasn't traveled down that road. Scientists, they say, still don't know what the spots are. Maybe ice. Maybe salt."

And they don't call the mountain a "pyramid" (because it doesn't even look like one, it looks like a mountain).

Notice the difference between scientists and others:

Scientists: "...we don't know what the spots are. Maybe ice, maybe salt. Let's do more study."

Others: It's pyramids and alien cities!

Sigh.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 03:20PM

Apologists: We don't know the reason for the priesthood ban. It could be due something in the pre-Earth life, it could be due to a curse similar to those in the scriptures, it could simply be because Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were racist, it could be something else. Let's wait until we die and meet God and find out more.

Others: It's because the church is a fraud!!!1!!1111

Sometimes the "others" are right.

In this case they're probably not though

Date: June 24, 2015 01:57PM

It will be interesting to learn what's causing the light display that's nearly double the size of Las Vegas (at night,) as it appears from space.

And the pyramid shaped mountain three miles high? A phenomenon of some kind.

Space is the last frontier ..

Date: June 24, 2015 02:03PM

amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It will be interesting to learn what's causing the
> light display that's nearly double the size of Las
> Vegas (at night,) as it appears from space.

It's not a "light display." It's a bright area. And it only appears in images when the sun is in a position to give reflections. So ice or salts is the most likely "cause." "Lights" aren't likely at all.

> And the pyramid shaped mountain three miles high?
> A phenomenon of some kind.

It's not "pyramid shaped" at all. It's rounded with some minor angular features, like lots of natural mountains.
As for "(nearly)three miles high" -- Mt. Whitney isn't far from where I live. It's nearly 3 miles high. Nobody thinks aliens built it, or it's any "phenomenon," for very good reasons -- mountains are natural.

Date: June 24, 2015 02:44PM

Scientists are only saying "maybe" the lights are the result of ice or salts. They don't know. They didn't say most likely either. It really is open ended and subjective at this point. The fact there could be other life elsewhere in the cosmos as close as our solar system - does that really escape your imagination?

As for the mountain, it is as NASA itself described as, "a mountain with steep slopes protruding from a relatively smooth area of the dwarf planet's surface." That's not the description you just gave, not at all.

And we don't know if this is a mountain yet, or not. As for aliens, any other life form outside our planet would by definition be alien. Life beyond our planet is only a question of when we'll discover it, not whether it exists. As for Ceres, it also has water. So in addition to the unexplained lights twice the size of Vegas, and a mountain shaped like a pyramid, it has water - who's to say it doesn't already support life - just because we haven't yet made the discovery?

NASA has predicted we'll confirm there's alien life by 2025, and Ceres is mentioned in their report.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/08/us/feat-nasa-scientist-alien-life/index.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 02:44PM by amyjo.

Date: June 24, 2015 05:17PM

amyjo Wrote:
> Scientists are only saying "maybe" the lights are
> the result of ice or salts. They don't know. They
> didn't say most likely either. It really is open
> ended and subjective at this point. The fact there
> could be other life elsewhere in the cosmos as
> close as our solar system - does that really
> escape your imagination?

You should try reading the scientist's writing, and not CNN's.
The scientists don't call them "lights" at all -- but bright spots. And yes, ice or salts are the most likely. Artificial lights are not likely in any way. Go here:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/dawn/world_ceres/#
watch when the angle to the sun changes, there are no bright spots -- they're reflections, not "lights."
It's NOT as open-ended as you'd like it to be.

I'd love for there to be life elsewhere. I'll accept there is when there's evidence of it. This isn't evidence of it.

> As for the mountain, it is as NASA itself
> described as, "a mountain with steep slopes
> protruding from a relatively smooth area of the
> dwarf planet's surface."

Yes, a mountain. MOUNTAIN. Not "pyramid."

> That's not the
> description you just gave, not at all.

It's exactly the description I gave -- mountain.

> And we don't know if this is a mountain yet, or
> not.

Yes, we do. It's a mountain. See above.

> As for aliens, any other life form outside
> our planet would by definition be alien. Life
> beyond our planet is only a question of when we'll
> discover it, not whether it exists.

No, that's not the case. We do NOT know life beyond our planet DOES exist. I agree it's very likely -- it is NOT certain as you claim. It IS a question of whether or not.

> As for Ceres,
> it also has water. So in addition to the
> unexplained lights

(they're not lights)

> twice the size of Vegas,
(the size is irrelevant)

> and a
> mountain shaped like a pyramid

(it's not shaped like a pyramid)

>, it has water -
(no liquid water, just frozen)

> who's to say it doesn't already support life -
> just because we haven't yet made the discovery?

I didn't say it doesn't have life. There's no evidence it does, though. A mountain and bright spots are not evidence of life -- they're evidence of mountains and bright spots.

> NASA has predicted we'll confirm there's alien
> life by 2025, and Ceres is mentioned in their
> report.

NASA has made no such prediction. Again, go read NASA -- not CNN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 05:18PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 05:53PM

My guess is that most scientists believe that alien life will be found in somewhere in our solar system -- and that it will be bacterial.

I expect to see this discovery within my lifetime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 05:54PM by summer.

Date: June 24, 2015 07:10PM

summer Wrote:
> My guess is that most scientists believe that
> alien life will be found in somewhere in our solar
> system -- and that it will be bacterial.

Perhaps, but actually probably not -- most think it's likely, but until there's evidence of it being found, they won't say they'll find it or that it's there.

>
> I expect to see this discovery within my lifetime.

OK. And if you don't, does that mean there isn't life elsewhere? Nope. :)

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 10:02PM

If you (science worshipers almost) think 'main line science' ---- largely controlled by Government funding will tell the public there are apparently highly advanced ETs that have been around for years (around earth, on mars and the moon) ----- you have definitely drunk the kool aid.

Based on my sources highly advanced ETs do not seem to want contact. However, they and some of their activities have been reported to the "Government". ET outposts on various planets have been briefed to the government by 'contractors'.

I don't know anything about the ETs living in pyramids so I am not saying these are anything other than mountains ----- not sure. I have seen another pic of a reported Alien outpost on Mars and it was not a pyramid.

Date: June 24, 2015 10:20PM

I'd be interested in more info on that if you're able to share. Very interesting topic.

What we don't know may hurt us. :P

I'm not into conspiracy stuff, but the government keeping secrets from the masses is nothing new. Space exploration, and visits from ET is just one such murky area we are not privy to in the closed corridors of the Pentagon.

Similar to defense secrets, some of that is by necessity highly classified, or so those given positions of power prone to believe.

Date: June 24, 2015 11:56PM

I don't have time to look it up, been awhile since running into it, but these 'things' have been reported by both remote viewers (psychics trained by the government that are now contractors for this and other governments and others) and past life regression people. I believed in UFOs before finding out RV/psychics and past life people did also.

The main points I discussed were on utube and from a remote viewer/Army retired major (Ed Dames) ----- the pic of mars settlement also but may be buried somewhere in his many Utube things. He/remote viewer team have come up with a lot of other things that are pretty in line with my beliefs (after life, angels, etc.) but also a lot of scary things so be prepared to see what you think is credible and what is not.

One thing I was worried about when reviewing some of his stuff was I think he inferred advanced ETs could impact many things and may be what he/his team was getting mentally/RVing about ETs. I hope some of his predictions are right and others wrong.

Obviously these 'contractors' get paid a lot for the information/studies they provide ---- I believe certain people in the Govt. believe a lot of this stuff others not so much but not sure as they get hired to produce this stuff.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 03:11PM

I've always thought it interesting that a living being on a planet in our Galaxy can stand up and say, "There is no life out in the universe." while standing on the very thing that they deny.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 05:32PM

There's a post-it on my desk reminding me to nuke Phobos as soon as I'm able. I have no idea where it came from, or why I would ever do such a thing, but maybe someone did the same to Ceres just as we started snapping photos.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 05:46PM

It's probably the lost tribes.

Or the Lamanites(it's why they can't find the DNA)

Or Elvis...

Date: June 24, 2015 10:20PM

I'll settle for Elvis! :)

Date: June 24, 2015 06:51PM

According to Drake's Equation (circa 1961,) the possibilities for our galaxy *alone* are anywhere between 1,000 to 100,000,000 possibillities for other intelligent life out *there.*

"The Drake equation is a mathematical equation used to estimate the number of detectable extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy. It is used in the field of the Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence (SETI).

where:
N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone);
and
R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space

Considerable disagreement on the values of most of these parameters exists, but the values used by Drake and his colleagues in 1961 were:
R* = 1/year (1 stars formed per year, on the average over the life of the galaxy; this was regarded as conservative)
fp = 0.2-0.5 (one fifth to one half of all stars formed will have planets)
ne = 1-5 (stars with planets will have between 1 and 5 planets capable of developing life)
fl = 1 (100% of these planets will develop life)
fi = 1 (100% of which will develop intelligent life)
fc = 0.1-0.2 (10-20% of which will be able to communicate)
L = 1000-100,000,000 years (which will last somewhere between 1000 and 100,000,000 years)

Drake states that given the uncertainties, the original meeting concluded that N ≈ L, and there were probably between 1000 and 100,000,000 civilizations in the galaxy."

http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-evidence-of-intelligent-life-in-outer-space

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:07PM

Bless your heart Amy

Not to fault your inquiring mind but you remind me of Sisyphus pushing a stone of woo up the hill only to watch the closed minded sorts push it back down said hill.

I admire your perseverance whether or not anyone else does.

Keep looking up sister! :o)

Date: June 24, 2015 07:13PM

Shummy Wrote:
> only to watch the closed minded sorts push it back
> down said hill.

It's not "closed-minded" to accept facts, or require evidence.

This post is a great example: there's evidence of a mountain and bright spots. There isn't evidence of any life, of any "lights," or of any "pyramid."

The "open mind" accepts what there is and isn't evidence for. The "closed mind" decides without evidence -- and call mountains pyramids, bright spots light, and insists there's life when there's no evidence of it. The closed mind is already made up, and damn the evidence (or lack thereof).

Date: June 24, 2015 07:24PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:

>
> It's not "closed-minded" to accept facts, or
> require evidence.

Easy there. I have no dog in this fight.

I just love watching the exchange of opinions.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 10:07PM

That's the thing about being a hard core science and evidence person--not much fun at parties. Cold hard facts are often cold and hard and I love them. Thanks, ificould.

Date: June 24, 2015 09:16PM

Shummy Wrote:
> Bless your heart Amy
>
> Not to fault your inquiring mind but you remind me
> of Sisyphus pushing a stone of woo up the hill
> only to watch the closed minded sorts push it back
> down said hill.
>
> I admire your perseverance whether or not anyone
> else does.
>
> Keep looking up sister! :o)

Thanks Shummy. My "dream" job in my "dream" life would be astronaut. In lieu of that I'll just settle on "I know it's out there, and will believe it when I see it." :D

And meanwhile, I believe in the unseen realm, because there's just so much more to this universe than our minds can comprehend. It's not that I disbelieve science. It's that we know so little about science, we have a very long ways to go.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:15PM

Has the Hubble picked out Kolob yet? Wow, I bet the church would pay a tidy sum to the person who can come up with proof of Kolob. It would help clear up some of the Pearl of Great Price problems.

Date: June 24, 2015 09:19PM

michaelc1945 Wrote:
> Has the Hubble picked out Kolob yet? Wow, I bet
> the church would pay a tidy sum to the person who
> can come up with proof of Kolob. It would help
> clear up some of the Pearl of Great Price
> problems.

Not yet. But I did learn today that telestial is a made up word by none other than Joey Smith. Like Kolob. Oh, he just made up planets and named heavens that don't really exist. While there's billions and billions upon planets and heavens that *do* exist - and we've just barely skimmed the surface!

:D

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 07:57PM

Hey Amy, if you know about Drake, then you might be interested to know that back in the 80's I was in a little Jazz bebop quartet (trumpet, keys, bass and drums.) We called our group 'Project Ozma', named after Drakes early SETI project.

We didn't find any aliens, but we did find lot's of outside notes and alien chords to play. Come to think of it, some of the Jazz fans we encountered were a little alien sometimes. LOL.

'Project Ozma' Thanks for bringing back a memory by mentioning Drake. Those were some crazy days!

do be do be doodly do be DO BOP! (ching......)

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 08:03PM

Date: June 24, 2015 09:20PM

Now that is really AWESOME. :))

Cool name for a jazz band. Would've loved to have heard you play!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 09:24PM by amyjo.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 08:45PM

Maybe it is salty ice!

Date: June 24, 2015 09:22PM

It's so small that Global Warming hasn't reached there yet. :P

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: June 24, 2015 09:27PM

I met an alien last night. He was whiter than white and quite delightsome. He also carried a flaming sword. He told me if you guys didn't give me a bunch of money and women, he would kill me and all of you as well. He was a scary alien in this sense.

Date: June 24, 2015 10:22PM

I'm speechless, gobsmacked. Flabbergasted. And it's past my bedtime.

Later all. :D

Date: June 25, 2015 12:09AM

Dames is a real piece of work.

He tends to mix outright bullshit with plausible truth.

I cannot dismiss him outright but I do suspect that disseminating disinfo about aliens would certainly be pleasing to the powers that be.

Date: June 25, 2015 12:41AM

I agree Dames is interesting.

What do you think is disinfo about aliens? Why would the 'powers that be' want him to even talk about the existence of aliens? Obama recently assured us there are no aliens!

I took his 1 day RV course and 'experiencing' it for myself. Can't say I have much talent but my numbers are well above average so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 12:42AM by spiritist.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 25, 2015 12:34AM

"The Planet KOLOB - the evidence is coming in
Mormon Theologians agree that God lives on a distant planet, the planet KOLOB. It's located in the constellation Cancer, sector 2813. Kolob means "the first creation" -- which is "nearest to the celestial, or the residence of God", (Abraham 3:2 – 3, 9) as McConkie assures us. It is called the Celestial Kingdom.

In 2008 BYU astronomers claim that the Hubble space telescope snapped the first actual picture of an exoplanet, a pinpoint of life found within the debris disc of a star called Formalhaut about 25 light years from here. Now a different team of scientists spying on the presumed planet dubbed Kakistocra-99b2, with the Spitzer space telescope suggests that the dot in the original image isn't the planet that all. Though the team isn't sure what the dot is, the point of light doesn't appear to radiate at the infrared wavelengths where exoplanets should shine, a team lead by Michael D. Rhodes of BYU and Marcus Jansen Princeton University report online at the website arXiv.org. This is not the first time that KOLOB has stumped astronomers' ground-based infrared telescopes. They haven't been able to see its signature spectrum and it's tracing an unexpected path around its star. Theories proposed to explain the imaged planet KOLOB range from a background to light scattered by a dust cloud.

Constellation Cancer. KOLOB, or OJ287 shines an overwhelming beacon of light onto Earth. This is associated with the path to and from the Celestial Kingdom. KOLOB is sometimes spelled Q'LOB, short for Quasar-stellar LDS Object or Quasi-stellar LDS Object.

See derivation of spellings of Koran, Quran, Quoran or Qur'an. As an aside: In 1961, a model of color television set, the QUASAR, was named in honor of this Celestial Kingdom on KOLOB, (QLOB) by the inventor of modern electronic TVs. He was Philo Farnsworth Born in Beaver Creek, Utah, U.S.A., on August 19th 1906;

"Our scriptures say that God told Moses only about this planet," said LDS apostle Neal A. Maxwell in a recent television interview. "But we're not worshiping a one-planet God." (Salt Lake Tribune Aug 1996 Vol. 252 No. 118).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.