Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 03:44PM

Church-goers in Finland have the right idea. After a discussion of church doctrine and attitudes toward gay people, people resigned from the church in droves.

"A record number of Finns seceded from the Evangelical Lutheran Church on Wednesday.
People carried out their mass exodus from the state church via an online service, the standard procedure used these days.
By late yesterday afternoon, 1,200 people had resigned from the church. According to the eroakirkosta.fi website, which facilitates the seceding from the church, yesterday’s total number of people to make their exit was 2,633. This was not merely around 1,500 more than the previous daily high, but greater than the total number in the entire month of July...."

Source: http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Record+numbers+of+Finns+resign+from+church+after+gay+rights+panel+discussion+on+TV+/1135260896872

Being able to resign online made a big difference in the numbers. I wonder if we can pressure the LDS Church to make resignation available online?

"...the statistical spike resulted from the Finnish Broadcasting Company YLE’s current affairs programme...
The show entitled Homoilta (Gay Night) was a panel discussion dealing with gay rights issues...."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 04:23PM

I'm not sure where I read it--maybe on this board.
If so, I would expect to see a similar spike in resignations.
I also expect that either
(i) we'll only hear about the spike through the grapevine, or
(ii) the sudden increase in resignations will be faith promoting--wheat from the tares, even the very elect--
- of course if nothing happens that will be faith promoting too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.