Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pataconpisao ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:43PM

From a family member currently on a mission. Apparently are teaching new ways of manipulation and of course calling it "inspiration".

"Lots of meetings took place last week Zone conference, Stake Presidency meeting and Mission Leadership Council so I definitely learned lots! At MLC my mission president showed us this tracting technique that he was given by a mission president currently serving in Colorado that has changed how they find in their mission. I think that it is super inspired now that I have actually done it but to be frank I was a little skeptical at first. Basically its a survey and it has an 8 step approach for us at the door. The purpose of it is to get you sitting down in their home to teach a lesson and/or to set up a return apt. The survey has 10 questions such as, Is a strong family important to you? Have you ever asked yourself "where did I come from", "why am I here" and "where am I going after this life?" This questions really help you to follow the spirit on what to teach them first and follow the spirit on how to deliver it in a way that they will feel the spirit! The door step is super bold, when they answer the door you introduce yourself, not the church, and ask for their name. Introduce the survey and give them a taste of it by saying the first question and then step forward and say "May we step in?" Haha super bold but it works!! Then we say "Straight through?" and they lead us to the couch. After we give the survey we tell them something like, "we have a message that goes hand in hand with this survey and that it is of a spiritual nature so we like to start with a prayer. Would you like to say that or would you like one of us to?" The promise is that they always let you pray.
So like I said before, I was a little skeptical at first but the promise is that if you believe you will get in, you will. If you don't, you wont. So I felt good trusting in the Lord on this after the assistants testified of how they tried it and it works."

This is fucked up on so many different levels. I feel so bad for these missionaries.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:53PM

Disgusting how dishonest, aggressive sales techniques and results of a "survey" question are said to be "following the spirit."

Sheesh.

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:55PM

Who is sitting around twiddling their thumbs saying. "Damn, I wish some cult, salesmen would show up with a fake survey"

The first question I would ask is a survey for what? I would be sure to tell them at the door that I spend about 0 minutes a day worrying about religious nonsense.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 12:56PM

So it's not actually a survey, it's just a lie to get into people's homes. Trained in the ways of lying for the Lord.

Date: November 13, 2014 02:11PM

Exactly and these naive missionaries have no idea the way they are being manipulated and the way they are manipulating people in the name of the lard.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:10PM

They stole that from the JW's. I get a pair of them at least once a month. I burn their sales approach before I tell them I'm not interested. I'm kinda mean that way. I can't help it, I have nothing better to do if I am at home.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:14PM

They did this when I was young already!!
I remember going on member splits with the mishies and doing the fake survey thing..

But I'll tell you one thing, if two strange men tried to walk 'straight through' into my house, somebody will end up injured.. and it won't be me...

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:15PM

Gonna be interesting how far the mishies go into spilling their spiel before they have to mention Horny Joe.

Methinks that would mark the end of any investigator's curiosity.

Date: November 13, 2014 02:13PM

Yeah it will be interesting now that the essays are all over the media of the effects it will have on the missionaries that have no clue for the most part whatsoever of the problems that church is facing.

Posted by: Haunted Wasatch ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:18PM

Doesn't scientology start with a survey?

The first step to a mind control cult is to lie about why you are approaching them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnNSe5XYp6E

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:18PM

Alarm systems, pest control, cleaning products, and cheesy church-themed kid videos.

Sounds about right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 01:19PM by Bite Me.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:19PM

This is not a new technique. My ex used the survey ruse when he was on a mission back in the 70's!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:21PM

A total stranger knocks on my door. I have no clue who they are or if they represent anyone or anything. They want to know my name. I would NEVER give my name in that situation! What's wrong with people?

If this does happens to me, i'll simply close the door. If i'm in a good mood, I may ask "what is wanted?".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 02:00PM by madalice.

Date: November 13, 2014 02:17PM

Hahaha that would be awesome! They might even be tempted to do the old shake the dust off their feet curse if you did that.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:24PM

That is SO creepy.

Posted by: anonAnglo ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:25PM

Re-inventing the wheel- used this back in the early 80's as a stake missionary.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:30PM

And it didn't work all that well then. People aren't stupid and easily see through this stuff. Those who are looking for something will listen to whatever. Those who are savvy and secure in their lives won't waste time on some survey with clear and ulterior motives IMO.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:36PM

I am not letting some pair of strangers I met 30 seconds ago into my house!

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:38PM

Elders: "We have a survey that we'd like you to take."

Me: "Where will the results of the survey be published?"

Crickets.

Me: "That's what I thought."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:40PM

New my ass. This goes back to at least the 1960s. More reinventing the wheel brought to you by your inspired wheelwrights.

Posted by: been_there ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:44PM

I was taught to do the same thing on my mission in the early nineties. It never worked and we didn't end up doing it very much.

We had an answer to the "where will the results be published" question, but our response was a well intentioned lie.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:45PM

"The promise is that they always let you pray."

I'd love this opportunity to make them squirm.
"Dear Allah. Please help guide these poor, confused, lost, pedophile worshiping, polygamy approving souls to see the ways of their evilness.
Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar
Ameen"

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:45PM

How can I change the doorbell from a "ding dong" sound to the sound of a shotgun getting loaded?

Posted by: gress ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:48PM

AS I recall, those were called the Golden Questions back in 50s/60s.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:48PM

They didn't even say anything about the lds church for several minutes. They kept making small talk and repeated themselves several times. It was obvious they were trying to avoid bringing up the church. It was very obviously fake--the big clue being they told me I looked nice. I had just returned from a walk in the rain and wind . . . I told them that I knew that actually I didn't look nice (I knew they weren't saying I was a nice person). Anything to avoid the topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 01:49PM by cl2.

Posted by: 2+2=4 nli ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:53PM

It also sounds like the Multi-Level Marketing cultist's recruiting techniques:

"Do you want financial freedom?"
"Do you want the life you deserve?"
"Do you want to spend more time with your family?"
"How much do you want to earn a month? $1000? $5000? $20,000?"

Posted by: 2+2=4 nli ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 01:57PM

The Multi Level Marketers also try to postpone as long as possible into The Pitch that it's Herbalife or Vemma or whatever. Very deceptive.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 02:00PM

"I'm doing a survey"
"No you're not. you are not interested in any answers I may give, you are not going to keep them or perform any statistical analysis, So. if you start lying within the first five seconds of trying to recruit me, how can I trust anything you subsequently say"

Posted by: dodgeawrench ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 02:08PM

So let me get this straight. In order for God to have his message cover the Earth, he has inspired his missionaries and leaders to use manipulation tactics? Doesn't sound like a very powerful God.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 02:15PM

We would stop and say we're canvassing an the area would they like to take part in a survey.

It sounds kinda like the same questions in fact. This was in England and the whole "Families are Forever" approach and the song, "I'll Build you a Rainbow" was going big.

I just want to beg forgiveness to all the people who I took these phony surveys from. A waste of time and a manipulation that was wrong.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 13, 2014 02:33PM

Used a survey technique in Europe to add people to the teaching pool in the 90s. These 18 to 26 year olds are morons while drinking the kool-aid. Those zone conference training sessions were all fecal matter. One MP cant make his numbers so he reaches out to another MP with measured success for ideas to spin to his salesforce. More manipulation. Nothing more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.