Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon in CA ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 09:01AM

I am visiting my wife's TBM family in Honduras this week. Yesterday we were at Copan Ruins when my wife received a phone call from her Dad who is a SP. I watched as my wife's eyes got big and then she handed the phone to me. My father in law then began shouting over the phone about 40 wives. hehe

So we finished our tour of the beautiful Mayan ruins and went to my in-laws house. The scene at his house was a bit comical. He was there with the stake presidency and all the bishops of his stake. They were talking about who can call the newspaper and get rid of these offensive lies. They even mentioned calling the owners of the paper. They asked me if the news was in the USA and told them yes all over the world.

They decided to have prayer and then I was asked to leave, apostate and all. I went to where we were staying with our 3 kids and hung out with them. 20 minutes later my wife came and said "They want to talk to you."

My wife had told them that the church had released essays about this and that the news articles were quoting the essays, but she could not find the essays on lds.org. She told them I could and they asked her to get me. I found them, in spanish, and the fun began.
They all read it together and I watched as their jaws dropped to the floor. The shock on their faces was priceless. My father in law came to me and politely asked me if I could put my kids to sleep because they needed to have a private conversation.

I do not know what they decided but there was yelling.

The best part of the night was when my father in law asked if he could speak with me alone.

Brief back story- I met my wife at BYU and we got married in the temple, etc. My wife is a RM, etc. When I started to find out the truth 6 years ago it caused huge problems in my family and especially in my wife's family. Anyways.

My father in law asked me how this could be and why would the church write these essays? I told him I do not know but I thought it was a good thing. He told he was going to read all the essays tonight and talk with me in the morning. He then gave me a hug and whispered " I might owe you a huge apology sometime soon."

That was last night, this morning we woke up to mother in law crying, father in law shell shocked.

I will keep you posted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 09:43AM

That's what I'm talking about!

what was taught to us as anti-Mormon even though it was the truth, which was never corrected by members and leaders who knew damn well what the truth was, but to protect "testimony" that the church is true mouths were kept shut and truth was held in a back pocket!

Your FIL is exhibit A that the LDS as an organization has not been OPEN AT ALL!

Remember the two year Lesson manual on JS Smith? No polygamy and no mention of the translation of the BOA. That is hiding high level information from the masses. Who are they going to blame for that. The Correlation Committee?

At any rate 'anon in CA' thanks a million for your post.

I'll be giddy all day long!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 09:44AM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 09:47AM

as bishops and stake presidents leave, many more (who admired these people as good men) will also leave.

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 12:57PM

The sad part is that in order to hold onto members, they will have to shame and threaten them with hell. Rather than retain the realization that they have been deceived, a number of them will stuff it away, rationalize and continue to hope to be worthy of having their own planet as a God (but then, they don't teach that anymore either).

Posted by: smo ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 09:55AM

I attended the Mormon Expression podcast recording last night. One of the panelist stated Kate Kelly -via her blog- was in Nairobi, Kenya and heard the news on the radio there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 11:11AM by smo.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 10:03AM

For some "anti" material to become official church history that quickly is impressive. My former bishop also denied Joseph's polygamy when I told him. I should call him now.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 10:22AM

Honduras got newspapers?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 10:25AM

I'm sorry I was so flippant. This is the best story today, and I'm happy you posted it.

(But... Honduras got newspapers?)

Posted by: flo, the nevermo ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 10:27AM

Anon in ca, your story shows that FIL is one of the good guys. He didn't know he was duped and within hours of finding out, he is immediately considering how to fix the mistakes that he might have made. That really sounds like the type who could help many others get out. Awesome for all involved. (Of course, I'm sorry for the pain involved!)

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 03:04PM

Good man.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 10:30AM

Interesting news. Thank you for sharing it, and do keep us posted.

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 12:26PM

My father is retired down (San Pedro) there and yesterday he posted the link on his FB. His comment was:

"Hahahaha, I knew that I joined for a reason!"

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 12:49PM

" He then gave me a hug and whispered " I might owe you a huge apology sometime soon.""

I felt the spirit and shed a tear.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 12:56PM

Wow. That is powerful family dynamics. That hug must have been amazing!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 12:59PM

Hmmmm...I seem to remember a newspaper printing something concerning Joseph Smith's polygamy and some high-ranking LDS mucky-mucks getting upset and wanting to do something about it.....

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 01:03PM

haha! and burning down the press (back then) worked out so well for that "inspired" prophet.

I imagine it'd work out about as well for this group....

Posted by: Left Field ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 01:18PM

Every once in a while, a story here is posted that brings the pain and disappointment of finding out you've been duped back to the surface.

Sad, but poignant.

Please share more as developments warrant.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 02:36PM

Thank you for sharing this.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 03:22PM

Happy Dance for you!!!

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 03:29PM

At the same time, I'm feeling for your inlaws. Wow, just wow.

If you haven't done it already already, when you get by yourself, make sure you do a happy dance.

All the best to you and family with the fallout.

Posted by: AnothernoMo ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 03:36PM

Waiting breathlessly for updated news. As Anagrammy noted almost four years ago, it may be time to ready the popcorn!

Posted by: void_name ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 03:38PM

Just wow.

The CES letter is your go-to doc.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: sunshine ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 03:46PM

Mind and correct the gaping holes in the polygamy essay for him! Oh, and pass on the CES letter and make sure he, as Stake President, tells all his bishops to read it.

Happy happy days!

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 03:51PM

Can you share the name of the stake without giving away too much? The daughter of a friend is serving as a missionary in Honduras and will be returning in about 3 months. I will be curious to see if she has heard any fallout about the article in the newspaper or if there is any fallout that the missionaries see with the church leadership.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 04:13PM

The OP has probably revealed as much as he can, given that his father-in-law is a stake president.

Posted by: pluralwifeseeker2014 ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 03:52PM

Sometimes we get so caught up in the arguments we forget that we are dealing with people who are decent and good......Just duped.

It's good you are there and can show some real human love to your fil and mil. Hugs and talks and more hugs. Lets convert people to exmoism with our kindness (and sometimes our arguments :-))

Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 04:06PM

Good news to hear that people may finally be realizing the truth.

Posted by: HondoElder ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 04:54PM

I love hearing this. I served my mission in Honduras many years ago. Can you tell me generally where your FIL lives or at least which mission he is in?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:11PM

This scenario is our collective wet dream and its happening all over the world.

The S has hit the fan bigtime.

KW

PS. Oh My Sweet F*G Lord

Posted by: imanexmo ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:48PM

Yes!!!!!!

Posted by: eyesopen ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:15PM

Wow. Thanks so much for sharing that story and all the details. That must have been so surreal! I'll be waiting anxiously for an update on how they are processing this -- and the other essays that they will be reading. (Does you FIL know about the rock in the hat?)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:20PM

Flashing News: everybody knows but the Mormons - the real story of Joseph Smith, the glass looker, two-timing gambler, tall tale telling, false promiser, lying, (freak) cheating S.O.B. what a story to wake up to. From J.S. the god to J.S. the crooked false profit.

What a story and good for you and your wife to witness and be there with the family as they read it in the news and first question. Perhaps the brethren will strengthen their libraries and stay busy learning about the actual facts in the event that took place in the early church of JS.

Isn't it great http://mormonessays.com
So easy the church can't do it

The so-called essays are just the tip of the iceberg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 05:29PM by moremany.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:20PM

Thank you for sharing this great news.

I am a convert from Latin America and I know many who are. These topics, as common as they might be in Utah, are not so common in the Spanish speaking communities. News are usually behind. I can picture your father in law and the bishops in their meeting. Someone will express their outrage. Someone will say to stay focus. Someone will repeat their testimony. No matter what comes out or what they decide these men will never be the same. I hope someone leaves and takes a whole bunch of people with them.

I am so happy with this story. I'm proud of the Honduras journalists. I'm happy for you and for your father in law. You don't know how happy I feel because I know how members outside North America are kept in the dark. May this be another Sweden moment. And may the exmo force be with all the Hounduran members (OK, just had to say that). =)

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:24PM

This story makes me so mad and sad.

Latin America is my adopted homeland (served my mission there).

Your poor in-laws, and the other devout members in Honduras. Imagine the time and energy they've devoted to the church? And information was (probably still is) even less available from the church to its spanish-speaking members, than it was to english-speaking members.

It sounds like you might have some animosity towards your in-laws for the strife and discord of your falling out 6 years ago. But too, it sounds like they are warm and sincere and loving. If you do hold a bit of a grudge towards them, please be kind and understanding to them as they pass through the same crucible that you passed through 6 years ago.

(As the foundations of Isengard begin to crumble...)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 05:25PM by schlock.

Posted by: Carpe Diem ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:54PM

The OP says that you found the essays "in Spanish". The problem is that the essays have not been published in Spanish. Can you clarify where you found them in Spanish please?

Posted by: JustJayBird ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 05:59PM

I don't believe the new essays have been translated in other languages. Did they just use a translator like google translate to read them, or does FIL know english? Just curious.

Posted by: CNN ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 06:26PM

CNN has the story translated in Spanish.

Posted by: CarpeDiem ( )
Date: November 12, 2014 06:41PM

Yes, the story is in Spanish, but the author said he found the essays in Spanish.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.