Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GC ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:03PM

CNN has a piece and just saw it on CBC TV (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation).

Great news -- this will rattle a few shelves, I think.

GC

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:04PM

It won't unless they were already there, TBMs aren't shaken by this, they don't care about history.

Date: November 11, 2014 02:10PM

Some do, especially those of the edge and those (like me) who were never told about Joe's escapades.

I thought BY brought in polygamy and that men had maybe two or three wives - you know, because there were supposedly more women than men and the poor women needed to be "taken care of". Even as I missionary, this was my understanding.

I've had family members accuse me of being anti-Mormon when I raised JS' 33 wives -- now they'll have to recant.

Oh, and here's the CNN link:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/11/living/mormon-founder-polygamy/index.html

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:12PM

At least it will warn non-Mormons what kind of crazy those nice, wholesome Mormons they know are. I'd hate to be a missionary now anywhere this is news. Especially if you are one of those missionaries who didn't know Joseph Smith was a player. When I was a missionary, there was a similar scandal about the JW church in Spain and everyone asked us about it, thinking we were JWs. Missionaries will get questioned and hopefully start questioning. I'm guessing there are a lot of Mission Presidents planning right now how to deal with this.

Date: November 11, 2014 02:42PM

Exactly, although I'm sure some will say they've know this for years. As a missionary, I certainly didn't know about this. I was raised on a steady diet of Joseph's one and faithful wife Emma (as per Sunday School manuals, etc.).

I don't know how many times while tracting, I rebuffed people's assertions that JS was a polygamist -- and none of the companions I was with disagreed with me (so must have been a fairly common understanding of missionaries at the time). Turns out I owe a lot of people an apology -- it's not anti-Mormon, just an acknowledged fact all around.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:53PM

Any father (and especially of fathers of daughters) should be shuddering about JS being a slimy pedophile. If this doesn't get them out of the CULT, then they are condoning pedophilia and should have their kids removed from them before they get raped too.

"I'd hate to be a missionary now anywhere this is news." - so you'd hate to be a mishie on earth? The NY Times pretty much means that the news goes all over the planet. Some places in Africa will not hear about it and that's probably why their are mishies in Africa actually baptizing morons, but everywhere else?
Perhaps Kolob hasn't heard the news.

This brings to mind St. Pepper's album song "I Read the News Today Oh Boy."
JS is probably squirming in his grave.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 02:56PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 03:28PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.