Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 01:41PM

Has there been any research or evidence that could make a weak argument and possibly point to Joseph Smith being under the influence of drugs during the time of authoring the Book of Mormon?

Is there any evidence of Joseph Smith using drugs at all throughout his life? Any smoking of the hash pipe with the "Laminites" or other types of drugs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 01:54PM

I haven't read that anywhere YET, but I remember well when I was a TBM teen that a classmate said that her pastor told her that Joseph Smith was a drug dealer. I don't think there was such a thing as a drug dealer, per se, back then, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a user. But I've never seen anything to that effect either.

What leads you to ask the question, though?

Date: November 11, 2014 02:34PM

I was looking over the comment section for the FoxNews story regarding JS and his 40 wives.

One of the commenters mentioned that JS was on drugs when creating the BOM. I have yet to come across any of that information so I posted the question. The comment may just be a shared opinion OR they had read something I did not.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:19PM

Here's one (downloadable PDF) of many:

http://www.mormonthink.com/files/restoration-sacred-mushroom.pdf

IMHO, there just isn't enough provenance to support any of the theories. But, they make for interesting reading!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 02:20PM by moose.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:38PM

"Has there been any research or evidence that could make a weak argument and possibly point to Joseph Smith being under the influence of drugs during the time of authoring the Book of Mormon?" - thinking of some mushrooms in that grove are you?

Could be but I think that the vagina was Joey's serious addiction.

Date: November 11, 2014 03:02PM

"va'Gange"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.