Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smo ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:04PM

(I didn't know up until 2 years ago)

When you think about it -

Unlike Catholics (who may attend church 2-3 times per year)
Or other faiths with less demand on their members' time...

Mormons:

-Meet each and every week for 3 hours
-Have multiple additional meetings, especially for those in leadership
-Attend firesides several times per month
-Hold ward, stake and general conferences
-Teach their own families once a week.
-Have ward temple nights, not to mention are urged to go to the temple often
-And on and on and on.

Yet, with all this time dedicated to teaching and training, most of tscc's essays are blindsiding their members...(that is, if they have enough time to step off their busy treadmills to take a look!)

I just find that shocking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 03:24PM by smo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:06PM

"busy treadmills" going nowhere

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:08PM

Just a fun fact - Catholics do actually attend Mass more than 2-3 times a year.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:56PM

Sorry, that's not a fact. SOME Catholics attend Mass more than 2-3 times a year, SOME attend regularly, SOME attend once every several years, etc... Some Mormons attend 3 hours of church a week, some attend 1 hour, some rarely attend, etc...

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:13PM

So did the church push out any advanced instruction to wards about all this before they gave it to the news? or was it just a oops here it is moment?

I want a better god.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:18PM

Ever learning and never coming to a knowledge of the truth.
2 Timothy 3:7

Ironic isn't it?

How the BOM talks of people always studying but never learning anything, yet that is exactly what Mormons are always doing.

With all their meetings they should be very knowledgeable about their doctrines and church, but they are not.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:19PM

It's not like the church hasn't had the time or opportunity to tell the truth. It is blatant outright lying and deception. I think that the top 15 should be apologizing and making restitution to its members. And, I think they should stop trying to sugar coat and stop leaving important things out of the conversation. They are still not coming clean. They're still choking on the WHOLE truth.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:28PM

Taking up all your time for the group is a sign of a cult. A
normal church gives guidance for your life. A cult comandeers
your life for it's purposes.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:47PM

Good Point.

Hopefully the news cycle will follow up with interviews from mormons around UT about the essays. Maybe it will show up as a joke on SNL, or one of the late night shows monologues.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:53PM

The cult of course is not really coming "clean" with the essays. The organization is still mighty dirty and a lot of the members do not know. Why?

1. The essays were not forthright, honest and clean.

They are filled with the dirty parts of telling only what they want to tell and leaving pertinent parts of the truth out, twisting and turning the story with bold lies and small deceptions that a lot of faithful members are not able to catch because they are naive about their church's history.

2. The cult has hid the essays deep in their church site so that the average church members do not know they are even there. The cult needed to be able to say that they wrote the essays and were coming clean because the Internet and Brave Members have exposed them, beating them, of course, to telling the truth!

3. The essays tell the BIG picture of how evil the cult really is because they have planned these essays to be deceptive and cunning right from the get-go. "Why we will tell them just enough for them to think that we have "cleaned" the slate",

4. Their move to make the essays public and put them in the media has backfired!

IMHO, not in their wildest dreams did they plan for the excellent (although not perfect) coverage that came out in the New York Times (thank you, thank you New York Times).
Their move to hide the truth is now exposed for the world to see. I myself think this is a major, major blow.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 04:25PM

Even my TBM family doesn't know about the essays! I think I'm the only one who knows about them or at least read parts of them... I've never heard anyone at church talking about them yet..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.