Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 11:39AM

This question does seem strange and pointless. Bishops ask all TR seeking Mormons if they agree with or affiliate with groups or individuals whose teachings and practices conflict with Mormon precepts. This question has lost its original intent these days.

It was added to pacify law enforcement in the 1950's. At that time there was a major movement to clamp down on polygamy abuses in Utah. FBI and local police were engaged in surveillance and wire taping suspected polygamists. Grand juries were formed and were using the findings. There were small raids, arrests, and prison time for some of the polygamous priesthood fanatics. One large raid in Short Creek disrupted the whole town and many if not most residents were hauled off in buses to who knows where. Many ended up in Arizona detention centers and neither Arizona or Utah was willing to deal with them.

There were national news stories with huge articles in papers and news magazines, and there were segments movie news shorts in theaters. The Mormon GAs and general membership were humiliated and wanted the notoriety to stop.

President David O. M. met with law enforcement officials and cut a deal. He said the church would monitor and eliminate polygamy by adding a new requirement for TRs. That's when this question was added.

Of course polygamists who still attended mainstream wards lied. Those who did not go to a regular ward didn't care. Everyone else lost track of why the question was added. Polygamy continued uninterrupted.

I blame David O. for being a coward and not using this opportunity to cooperate with authorities and cut back on the abuses which continue today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 12:50PM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 11:45AM

Thanks, I always wondered about the genesis of that one.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:40PM

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:58PM

Figures. Mormonism morphs and twists just about everything, doesn't it?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 03:04PM

I think that the next time you are asked that question, you should answer that you are in a Pedophiles Anonymous Help Group and that it is too bad that they didn't have groups like this back JSs day (not that he would have gone) since he was ordered by threat of a flaming sword.

REALLY? Isn't a sword enough? Why a FLAMING SWORD? Why does the CULT always go so far over the top? PA-LEEZE!

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 04:32PM

So the question itself is now outdated??

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 04:39PM

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 04:39PM

God must have forgot to tell the brethren that they no longer need to ask this quesiton. It would cost the church time, effort, and money to instruct leaders to cross out the question with blue ink OR replace the insert sheet within the Bish and SP binder.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 06:14PM

I no longer answer any of those questions

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 08:11PM

He not only "associates" with a known apostate, he is MARRIED to one! And everyone at church knows it!

That question had a sort of J. Edgar Wiretap feeling about it - I'm not surprised about how far back it goes.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 08:27PM

Thanks Cheryl. Who knew? Not me. Like catnip, I always thought that question was more like being interviewed for a post with the FBI or CIA, but even more, it now seems so cultish.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.