Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Doug ( )
Date: November 10, 2014 11:51PM

My wife, TBM (kinda), and I have recently discovered HBO's Big Love on Comcast On Demand. We are cruising through season one and have 4 more seasons to go, but so far we have been intrigued by the show. I think, after some mistakes in the first couple of episodes, they have really NAILED the quirky LDS culture in SLC.

And yes, my TBM wife loves the show too. We watch a couple episodes each night.

Anyone else in the same boat? I hate being addicted to a show, but his one is proving to by my current good-tube vice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:06AM

1st season is like the kiddie rides. Just wait til after 3rd. E-ticket ride. Hang on!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 12:44AM

I binge watched it last summer. It was really fun to see utah culture done so well. The first part was done by exmo Lance Dustin Black, who went on to win on Oscar for his 'Milk' script.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 02:45AM

It's been quite a long time since I've seen it. I can't remember the "mistakes."

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 01:55PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 07:55PM

They should have put up a print of the Last Supper instead. That's what was always in my TBM parent's bedroom. A temple would have been even better.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 03:56AM

I loved this show. I had to download the episodes to keep up to date with the story... and I quite liked the ending they gave it.

Posted by: Susy ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 04:19AM

The first three seasons were nice.

The fourth season was AWFUL!! Too many secondary plots (one more far-fetched than the other), too much unrealistic stuff. They totally lost control, it was a mess. Even one of the actresses complained that it felt like a Mexican soap opera.

The fifth (and final) season was much better, though.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 05:25PM

(a year or so ago) ... and REALLY enjoyed it.

On DVD (from the public library), I got to watch the Bonus Content including interviews with the writers. They actually demonstrated genuine compassion for hapless people entrapped in Mormonism ... showing more real "love" for Mormons than all of the Church Leadership combined. The writers came across as human beings connected with their authentic selves, whereas you know how Moron GAs come across.

The writers got nearly all of the details of MormonLife correct. I was surprised and impressed. Very few inaccuracies. Some of the plot lines stretched the possibilities of reality a bit much, but it's entertainment.

The Beach Boys theme song "God Only Knows" stuck in my brain because of Big Love. Now I really love that song.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 11, 2014 09:35PM

I binge watched the whole damn series.

It irritated me on so many levels that women can be convinced to settle for a communal husband because they think God is directing it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.