Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 05:45PM

He died yesterday and they were lauding his career and family on CBS. They showed a clip of him in what looked like a mormon church. He had 7 kids and 71 (?) grand-kids. I assume he was mormon. I wonder how he felt about playing on Sundays back then.. I don't think he felt to bad with his 50+ tour victories.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 06:33PM

It is my belief that serious golfers, if they don't stop believing in ghawd, at least learn that he can't be trusted. In either case, no serious golfer of any religion thinks ghawd cares what day of the week it is.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 06:53PM

I dunno..... I hear God's name a lot more on the golf course, than I've ever heard in church.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 07:28PM

Like all things in Mormonism, if you are famous, the rules don't apply.

A few years back TSCC was celebrating the lead singer of "The Killers" because he was famous and he was Mormon. Brother Flowers might even be a great guy, but the point is they would never have young men aspire to live like this guy.

But if you're famous and cool and Mormon. The rules don't apply.

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 06:38PM

It was a secret underwear church. He converted in 1966.
I think the grand total on kids is eleven counting some adoptions.

Pay Lay Alol

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 06:45PM

He was known for being a mormon.

He was also known for losing a ton of weight by switching from eating beef to eating bison (buffalo).

When I was young, he was the first athlete that I was aware of that was mormon, which raised the question of working on sunday. My father explained that if your career called for it, you did it. I still questioned it until he pointed out that many police and firemen in our area of California were lds.

I still don't question the working on Sunday...I have had to do it myself, so who am I to judge

Posted by: peterlynched ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 07:08PM

I recently discovered that a friend of mine is his grandson. So yes, definitely mormon. And a great golfer. Very underrated as far as golfers of that era go.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: February 08, 2015 07:19PM

...yeah, he was a good guy......in our Ward. Nothing bad to say about him; a regular, non-celebrity type member. Never screwed over anyone I knew. Too bad.......

"Death and taxes"................

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.