Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 08:46AM

Steve Jobs - Joseph Smith - Bill Gates - Gordon Hinckley

Jobs and Smith:

Narcissistic, focussed, created captivating products, closed system containing correlated products that worked well, maverick mentality, loyal following, offended many on the way to the top, really had it roll'n at the hay day.

Gates and Hinckley:

Odd ducks, broad brushed, open sourced mainstream products that got watered down and did not work well, corporate mentality, fickle following, tried not to offend the public as means of rising to the top of popularity, drifted off into the sunset of blah, blah blah.

Microsoft = Mormonism

Apple = Joel Osteen and the Feel Gooders

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 09:36AM

Apple is more like Lord Farquaad's theme parkish castle. Microsoft is Shrek's swamp.

Jobs = Lord Farquaad
Gates = Shrek
Melinda = Fiona
Torvalds = Gingerbread man

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 01:21PM

Okay, cricket-- You don't like Microsoft for some unstated reason, and you take a cheap shot about products that you think don't work well. Meanwhile most of the business and government world runs MS applications and it has become all but a universal language--for better or for worse.

Meanwhile the Gates foundation gives millions of dollars away to hundreds of philanthropic causes world-wide. Dollars that were earned and continue to be earned from those unsuccessful products. Neither Joe Smith nor Gordo Hinckley nor the organization they left behind can compete in that arena.

And Steve Jobs? He's not an "odd duck"?

Microsoft = catholicism (in the literal sense, small "c.")

Apple = Mormonism, especially the narcissistic part.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 02:20PM

I agree.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 02:28PM

debt to Bill Gates and Steve Jobs who have made a practical lasting effect upon my life through their creativity, productivity and idiosyncrasies.

The debate about organized religion seems to run parallel to the debate over open source or closed source systems.

If Steve Jobs and Bill Gates happened to be in the Sacred Grove along with Joseph I wonder what form the three separate churches would look like? LOL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 02:29PM by cricket.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 04:31PM

Although, quite frankly, there's a legitimate debate whether it should be "bear one's testimony" or "bare one's testimony."

What is clear is the collective frowns on bare shoulders among the ladies...

That might explain Mormon antipathy toward President Obama, who declared forthrightly that the First Lady has an absolute right to bare arms.

Okay, now a little bit of objective history, although my biases are known, and arguments between Jesus Smith and me on this subject wind up nearly as heated as our debates about whether the Q15 are a bunch of self-deluding crackpots (my general view) with sociopathic tendencies, or Dave's that they're all a bunch of dishonest crooked sorts who are fully aware of the fraud they're perpetuating (see what you've missed by not making it to lunch there, Seagull Choker?).

I am an early and unabashed enthusiastic convert to the One True Church of the One Button Mouse, and Steve Jobs remains my prophet, and I have remained true to my calling. My MacBook has a track pad, but I use a mouse with it most of the time.

I note in the early days, the persecution of the faithful was rife, and and I had to smuggle copies of "MacAddict" out of the magazine store in a plain brown wrapper. All of the techie mags routinely spoke of the "Apple Death Watch," and I was ridiculed for "riding a dinosaur" with my original Mac IIci...

Please do a search folks, on Apple's closing price yesterday, and for those Windoze fans, I offer a warning that I'm capable of giving them the same treatment I offer LDS apologists.

In other words, please compare the size of Apple with Microsoft nowadays, and shucks, Tim Cook is proof they're a gay-friendly operation.

As for Microsoft's success? Well, a moment of silence for the immortal H.L. Mencken:

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

I'll be willing to bet, incidentally, that there are more Mormons working for Microsoft than Apple. That would be telling...

SLC
Posted from my iMac because I'm worried if I had an iPhone, it would get stolen, given the clientele I'm often associated with...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 04:37PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 04:44PM

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 05:14PM

Both Gates and Jobs played influential roles. Gates was the Marketer, Jobs the Innovator.

And Larry Ellison owns an island!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 07:39PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll be willing to bet, incidentally, that there
> are more Mormons working for Microsoft than Apple.
> That would be telling...

You may be right. My brother, a hardcore TBM and apologist writer, works there. He got his history degree (oh so useful) from BYU, went to work at WordPerfect in Provo/Orem, and when they folded and Bill Gates bought up the pieces, he left the promised land for Seattle and Microsoftness. Sort of like when JS died, Brigham took the leftover pieces of mormonism, and headed for Utah. I tease him liberally with the parallels frequently. :) He informs me there's a large and "vibrant" mormon contingent at Microsoft.

Still, I can't stand the one-button mouse, any more than I can stand paying 4 times a much for a computer that doesn't do any more than a windows machine. Oh, well. :)

Date: November 04, 2014 08:45PM

I will instruct you in the black art of "intuitive operations on the Mac" that are impossible (because of the DOS underpinnings) on a Windows machine... We had a big Adobe conference here last summer, and one of the fellows who does a lot of graphics, noted he has one favorite Windows program he still uses with a "virtual program," but he also told of early graphics programs on that platform that distorted images in an absurd fashion.

Now if you're mostly a gamer who wants to play "Duke Nuke'em slips through the Myst and does Laura Croft," I will concede superiority of the the Windows platform.

BTW, my iMac I picked up surplus (you can also get good buys on used equipment via e-Bay and ksl.com) will run Windows, but why bother? And Macs last way longer; I just "retired" a G5 workstation tower that was at least ten years old, and I still have a G4 I use for my "stereo system."

Per my father, the retired rocket scientist, "Microsoft doesn't look like they've learned anything in the last ten years."

And per Will Bagley, "I couldn't have written the books I have (20 now) without a Mac."

Same with his brother Pat who does his cartoons these days with PhotoShop...

Now shall we bring up the subject of viruses and malware?

Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 04:36PM

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, recognized worldwide. Admired globally for their success, both hated by some. Both changed the world for the better.

Joseph Smith and Gordon Hinckley, not recognized worldwide. Admired by 1% of the population. both hated by some. Both did very little to change the world significantly, unless you count the tiny little Mormon bubble.

Date: November 04, 2014 04:38PM

In Bill Gates defense, he's done some incredible philanthropic work, and we can't say the same for Smith, Young, or even Hinckley.

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 07:19PM

Hinkley did two great things for the world. He denied both his prophetic status and one of the core beliefs of the cult on national television.

Oh, and proved his lack of power by being deceived into buying worthless counterfeit crap. I guess that's three. All great contributions don't have to be philanthropic in nature!

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 07:27PM

One might add that Apple and Microsoft sell a product, where LDS Inc only sells claims of their product.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 11:11PM

Well I'd be remiss if I didn't bury my testimony that Linux Mint is the one true operating system.

Buck Gill Fates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 11:12PM by Shummy.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 04:17AM

Sorry, you can't compare people like that. Maybe they were all Narcissists, like you say, but there are degrees of it, and extremes of it. I don't think those non-Mormons were polygamists, or believed in a polygamous heaven. They didn't rape and/or marry underaged girls. Plus, there's a difference between having self-confidence and ambition, and believing that you will actually be God of your own planet with many wives! No, even there, the comparison is not linear. A believing Mormon is not the "logical extreme" of anything human--not even close.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 04:34AM

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 05, 2014 06:16AM

The COJCOLDS will never do what Bill and Melinda Gates are doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhHzxeNbeqM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.