Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Have to be anon ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 05:01PM

We met in college. We became best friends. I was her campaign manager when she ran for an office at BYU. We co-authored some books that were published by Deseret Book. We were room mates for a year. After we were room mates, she left on a mission. I saw her only once after that. She told me once that "friends are the stepping stones to heaven." I figured after awhile that our friendship had simply been an early stone on her own personal path.

She would only date guys until she determined whether or not they were "general authority material." I'm assuming she found one. Now she is a Mission President's wife, and I am an exmo. I imagine her singing, "thus on to eternal perfection, the honest and faithful will go, while those who reject this glad message, will never such happiness know!"

But you know what? I wouldn't change places with her for the world. I have four wonderful kids, all of whom have decided that they are better off--and more importantly, better people--without TSCC. And I am much more than a stepping stone to be walked on by someone who thinks so highly of herself that she would leave people in the dust.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 05:30PM

Out of sick curiosity I wonder what criteria entitled young hot Mormon ladies at BYU use to determine if their male classmates are GA-material

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 01:14PM

mootman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Out of sick curiosity I wonder what criteria
> entitled young hot Mormon ladies at BYU use to
> determine if their male classmates are GA-material

Probably slavish devotion to the church and a heaping pile of naked ambition, with a touch of sociopathy.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 09:39AM

Probably also good looks, charisma, GA deep voice, etc. I mean, look at Boyd K. Packer. See what I mean.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 15, 2015 01:07PM

My MP was not good looking by anyone's standards.

Posted by: One Way Willie ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 11:50AM

mootman Wrote:
> Out of sick curiosity I wonder what criteria
> entitled young hot Mormon ladies at BYU use to
> determine if their male classmates are GA-material

Was the prospective sperm supplier AP on his mission? Is he Elders Quorum President after returning?

Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 05:36PM

"Out of sick curiosity I wonder what criteria entitled young hot Mormon ladies at BYU use to determine if their male classmates are GA-material."

Follow the L-L-T Guideline; Lineage - Looks - Trust Fund Status.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 05:42PM

Just remember this:

Our family friend was sent home early from his 1960s mission for BANGING the MP's wifey.

Hehe...

Breedum

Posted by: Left Field ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 07:03PM

Was the MP's wifey sent home, too? Or did she just close down that area of the mission?

Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 06:38PM

Her vagina?

Posted by: Left Field ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 07:33PM

Exactly. ;-)

Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 11:08AM

I was hoping to get a transfer. But I hear that place is a hole.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:47AM

Well that must have been an awkward priesthood interview. Did he get caught, or did he or she confess?

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 07:43AM

i will get back to you on the details.
my ex-mo brother will let me know asap...

Posted by: Gort ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 05:58PM

Several of DH's missionary companions went back to BYU to date and snag a GA's daughter or granddaughter. One did and the two barely tolerate each other.

DH got an apostle's great-granddaughter, but I've never traded on that. Where I grew up, everybody was descended from some GA or another. There were so many, thanks to polygamy.

Date: January 11, 2015 06:05PM

Yes, that was pretty much it. She maintained that wealth was evidence that someone could "use their talents wisely." But she said she'd never marry a lawyer, because she couldn't stand the thought of being married to someone who was wrong 50% of the time.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 06:18PM

what a terrible outlook on life. no wonder she ended up as an mp wife.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 11, 2015 08:07PM

If anyone is wondering how the myth of LDS Inc is sustained, the formula used by this woman is the template.

One must wonder how much pain must be caused to this family should a child use critical thought and leave LDS Inc.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 12:01AM

your formerly close friend sounds very close minded. She only dated guys if they were GA material. I guess a lot of guys at BYU tried to present themselves that way. But later after meeting them you see the façade.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 12:17AM

How would one notice a facade at BYU? The entire CULT, BYU included is a facade.
Is this like the old saying A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM?
A facade Within a facade... I'm stumped as how one would tell.
Everything in Wonderland was equally wondrous and also not real. But more true than the CULT on its best day.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 03:22AM

Funny, a former boyfriend of mine is a new MP. It could be the same guy! One way of knowing a guy is GA material, is that he will TELL you, and brag about it, over, and over. He will be too good for your friends, who laugh too loud, and too good for you, if you occasionally skip class to go skiing. He was a returned missionary, handsome, too good for BYU, and was on his way to Harvard. Ambitious. His father was a stake president, his uncle a mission president, and he came from a family with a lot of money.

This young man and I were just "friends" (but I didn't like him that much) and in student government together at BYU. (It has to be the same person!) He told me and my roommate, outright, that he was going to marry the richest girl he could find--and he did. She was one of the wealthiest girls on campus, and not at all pretty.

Arrogant + extrovert + ambitious + wealthy + family connections + Harvard + rich wife with connections = GA material.

Date: January 12, 2015 05:30AM

I think my former friends husband was a CEO at both WordPerfect and Nuskin, but now he works for BYU. Would that qualify him as GA material?

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 07:49PM

The Nuskin guy would definitely be GA material, if he has a Harvard MBA.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 01:06PM

I had a GMAT score about 200 points over the average at Harvard. Harvard is over-rated. But on every other measure, surely I was never GA material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2015 01:07PM by rhgc.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 07:06PM

A friend of mine got a Master's degree in counseling. And I'll never forget something that she told me -- "Everyone has holes in his or her socks." Meaning that everyone has secret sorrows or difficulties that may be very well hidden.

No life is perfect. The rain falls on the just and the unjust.

Posted by: Elder OldDog ( )
Date: January 12, 2015 08:03PM

Socks.....That reminds me!!! (it's your own fault.)

In 1968, in the Lakeview Ward, a ward function was held. It was during the week, in the gym, and we were all in church casual clothing. The bishop showed up, wearing an elegant three-piece suit.

A new game was announced. A player would be blind-folded and a thick rope laid in a complicated pattern on the floor. The player had to take off his/her shoes and try to follow the rope, using socked feet, and was timed doing it. A prize was announced for the one doing it the fastest. So naturally all the YM & YW were eager to play.

After the second player, as all the kids were yelling to be next, the organizer said that the bishop should be given a chance. The Bishop and the organizer went into this big production; the bishop saying no and the organizer insisting. The bishop's wife appeared to be going into a panic about it, siding with her husband.

Finally the organizer yelled, "Hold him!" to two accomplices and the bishops shoes were yanked off and his wife screamed! Everyone was looking, and there was the bishop, in these tattered socks, with his toes sticking out of all these different holes!

No one said a word, but you could hear all the gasps, as the bishop appeared to be making an effort to hide his feet.

But then the five conspirators all busted up laughing and the bishop's wife pulled a nice pair of socks out of a pocket, and as the bishop was changing his socks, the game organizer told us that he hoped we'd all learned a lesson. Apparently it was a lot clearer to the others than it was to me.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 02:21AM

Have to be anon Wrote:
> I imagine her singing, "thus on to eternal
> perfection, the honest and faithful will go, while
> those who reject this glad message, will never
> such happiness know!"

Wow, I had forgotten that line. Yep, we used to sing it all the
time. Very Culty.

Posted by: abononthis ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 12:44PM

curious it the original poster's friend had the initials

B M ?

just a yes or no will do

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 13, 2015 01:01PM

Posted by: Have to be anon for this ( )
Date: January 14, 2015 07:12AM

Initials not B M

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 15, 2015 01:24PM

And there you have it: we are all entitled to take our own path in life. It's our life, our choice.
We decide what works for us, and change our mind if needed.
We can do that. We have the freedom to make changes. And with those changes go the consequences attached to them.
No judgement; an acceptance of our rights to our choices.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.