Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: horsegirl ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 06:53PM

So my daughter was talking to a nevermo coworker and she asked the difference between LDS and FLDS and DD said that FLDS followed the original church and Joseph Smith with the polygamy and all. Another girl overheard and got angry saying that wasn't true it was all just exmormon lies. DD said no it's true JS married 14 year olds. Coworker said prove it, so DD pulled out her phone and googled it. Helen Mar Kimball came up, DD showed coworker who promptly stated that all the sites were "exmormon lies". Coworker said especially Wikipedia which is full of exmormon lies. She said she would only accept church websites as proof. So DD texts me I tell her about the essays, she finds them (thanks for the essay sticky!!) shows coworker who then starts saying that DD is attacking her religion. What the Hell she's been calling DD a liar over and over for an hour!!

So my question is, is the new thing exmormon lies instead of anti mormon lies? I've been out for over 15 years so I'm wondering. Or is she just saying that because she knows that DD is an exmormon?

This girl is 20 and she's being taught that exmormons are all over the internet posting lies and the only thing she can believe is LDS.org. Pretty effective if they can keep the kids off google.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 12:21AM by horsegirl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 06:56PM

It's a typical response when some LDS folks do not know the specific history being shared that they assume it's some kind of lie.
Some people are so afraid they were wrong, they have a difficult time accepting new info.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 06:59PM

LDS folks and their allies.

Posted by: wasted hours ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 06:59PM

Yep, my dad says stuff like that all the time. He'll either doubt your sources or, if you give him stuff straight from the horse's mouth, he'll just start attacking you personally in full denial of everything you're saying. He told me to stay away from ex-Mormons because they are nothing but angry people who make up lies about the church for revenge.

Date: January 07, 2015 07:05PM

That's exactly what she did. First she attacked her and then retreated to the tired old you are attacking my religion line when she was proven wrong. Sad

Posted by: anonsometimes ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 07:12PM

This is exactly why I don't discuss Mormonism with believing Mormons anymore. What's the point? All of their responses are pre-programmed. I have yet to meet one believing Mormon that has an original thought of their own. Or will even consider a different point of view. TBM's that I have discussed Mormonism with all had the exact same generic responses. It's ridiculous. So, now when any Mormon, (unless they have already studied their way out), asks me about why I left I just refer them to Mormon think. If they really want to know they will research it on their own. This saves a lot of drama & future relationships.

Date: January 07, 2015 07:23PM

I totally agree with you and DD feels the same. Her BBF is a TBM they just don't discuss religion ever.

DD wasn't even talking to this girl she was talking to another coworker but when the girl said she was lying she had to prove she was right. She has said that she won't be having anymore conversations with this particular coworker.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 07:25PM

I hope my flu inoculation this years works half as well as that girl's Mormon inoculation against the truth.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 08:00PM

Off topic, but I heard the flu vaccine is only about 30% effective this year. Bummer.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 08:02PM

I know. The main strain that is going around isn't covered by the shot. Big bummer.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 07:26PM

How can she claim it's a lie if it was on lds.org? She said she'd only listen to church websites then didn't like what she heard. Hey, don't blame the messanger.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 07:55PM

Chins up people.

When you send them scurrying to their programmed responses, it means you hit a nerve. And whatever you said or showed them will stay with them for a very long while. Like maybe on a shelf somewhere.

Just because you don't have a front row seat to a shelf collapse doesn't mean you didn't contribute your part.

Now if you can get them to bear their testimony, then as soon as you get out of earshot you can whisper to yourself, "score!"

JAR

Posted by: anonsometimes ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 07:56PM

LOL! Good Point! Still not sure if its worth it though.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 08:02PM

Tell your daughter it might get her in trouble for a multitude of reasons.

Date: January 07, 2015 08:07PM

Agreed and she does steer clear of religion since she's an atheist and we live in Utah. She got dragged into the discussion. I didn't post what led up to the main point the post would have been too long. I doubt they will bring it up again around her.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 08:09PM

Mormons who say exmormons are lying are in over their heads because their self righteous heads are up their asses.

Just go straight to the LDS.org essay sources. Don't link to Wikipedia or use anything from google. The LDS essays condemn them where they stand. Don't give them any wiggle room to make accusations about exmormons.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 08:51PM

"Exmormon lies" is a great phrase!

It's both a thought stopping phrase AND an ad hominem! Two birds with one stone.

Posted by: LiarsBeware ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 09:06PM

I prefer the phrase "Mormon Lies" or "Mormon Liars". That's what it really comes down to.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 09:08PM

When you're TBM, you tend to scoff and make excuses. Like when FAIR attacked Jeremy Runnels on BoA facsimile 3. At first, Jeremy said it was Pharaoh sitting on the throne. FAIR shot back with, "See Jeremy, you're wrong, it's Osiris on the throne, not pharaoh!"

Jeremy pointed out, that indeed he had put in the wrong name/character and corrected it; BUT as he pointed out to FAIR, "It's not Abraham, is it???"

There is a possibility that you DD may have put another book on the TBM coworker's shelf and she'll start searching herself.

I always tell people that at first I would defend J.S. to the ends of the Earth. Even after I found out MorgCorp was a Cult Corporation, I blamed everything on Brigham Young. It was probably 6 months before I even started researching J.S. I just kept sticking with MorgCorp's history after Nauvoo and the Journal of Discourse crap. It really is painful and hurts a lot when you take the red pill instead of the blue.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 09:12PM

Yep, that's all we are doing. Sitting around telling lies about her religion.

That is a story that makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:00PM

Nothing changes without education.
Educate.
I'd say be prepared.
If you're working with Mormons, it's pretty tough to get real with them, because they'll take offense.
I just interviewed for a new job today and got asked how I felt about people who inserted God or Jesus into conversations every now and then, because some of the people there (Mainly the guy who owns the place) are pretty religious.
I said, "Well, it says on every dollar bill, In God We Trust doesn't it?"
everybody laughed.
I said, "I mean we say, One Nation under God in the pledge of Allegiance don't we?"
The boss says, "Well there are some people who don't think we oughtta!"
I said, "Uh, well they're outta luck then aren't they? They can go petition congress."
That got a big laugh!!!
I said, "But they still take their paycheck in dollars that say In God We Trust on them right?"
Eveybody laughed again.
I said, "They don't say, oh no i'm not spending that money!! It's offensive."
Everybody laughed some more.
I think i got the job and I didn't even have to admit that I was a Taoist, haha

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 10:52PM

This thread has made me recognize an unspoken Mormon belief: a Mormon is always right.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: January 07, 2015 11:36PM

My mom called me a liar over and over again she said that polyandry never happened over and over again. She was a seminary teacher and I am naive to believe everything that was on the internet. When she did found out that I was right she said " she knows the church is true at the beginning they made some mistakes because they had to figure it out. Joseph Smith made some mistakes as a man but not as a prophet".
My mom is a very smart woman but she is also totally TBM. When I say something that she has been taught differently in church she automatically assumes that I am wrong and that I am lying to get her off the right path to heaven.
I was once like your daughters co worker someone told me Joseph Smith had young brides and I said no he married widows to take care of them financially. Your daughter planted a seed she got under the co workers skin. The truth hurts I cried and cried when I found out that it all was a lie. The lds church was my pacifier if someone get sick I had the answer get a priesthood blessing. If someone died they are in heaven now happier than ever. If something bad happened it's my trial to refine me. The lds church did most of my thinking for me. If I wouldn't have been lds I don't think I would have chosen the job path I did.
Well, well, well even naive me found out it was a scam so don't give up hope that the naive coworker will find it out too :)

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: January 08, 2015 01:07PM

I didn't start talking about the LDS until I got my head turned around right. That took me about 13-14 years after leaving. Thirty years TBM and about half that time recovering before speaking out.

Now I hope I can give some balanced advice to folks leaving. I was one of those converts from the sixties when the church was fun. Our life was church centered and towards the end of our

membership things were changing. Our whole family has left and are glad for leaving.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.