Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Theret ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:57PM

A tbm friend once told me that his "testimony" is based on the outstanding character and integrity of committed Mormons. Although i never saw it as evidence of the truthfulness of TSCC, i understood his assessment. Now, however, i doubt it. High levels of inactivity, low levels of convert retention, and minimal increases in convert baptisms despite the emphasis on missionary work are signs of a weak church. I've found many TBMs to be arrogant, fake, unfriendly, judgmental and selfish. They frequently congratulate themselves on how exceptional they are as the only true followers of Christ, without seeming to notice the irony of it.

Forgive me for hoping that God's true church would bear more impressive fruits.

Does the Church really produce especially admirable people? I fail to see any evidence of this

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Christ Believer ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 12:29AM

I have a mormon assistant. She is always encouraging me to do something unethical. Just this week she came into my office and shut the door and then proceeded to encourage me not to record a day I had taken off as a vacation day because I was scheduled to be out that day all day anyway and no one would know the difference. She justified her thinking by telling me everyone does it. What a way to shine as a light.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 02, 2014 01:30AM

But I bet you couldn't pay that women to drink even a sip of coffee. Lie steal cheat, FINE, but no coffee must touch her lips. This CULT can shove it where the sun will never shine and I don't mean the North Pole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2014 01:30AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 02, 2014 01:33AM

The CULT is ran by SATAN. What do you expect?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 06:37AM

Following J.S. & B.Y. and some of the rest, today, it is no wonder Mormoni integrity is practically non-existent. You base your best examples on losers and all integrity it's thrown out the window.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 10:44AM

I had a similar experience when I had a day off. I spsnt my day off cleaning my Grandfather's house. Later in the week, the Apostle Pickleman was scheduled to speak at the local mission and yo thtow out the first pitch at the night's Dodger game. I was instructed by the missionaries to tell my employer that my Grandfather was dying so thst I could have time to attend Pickleman's lecture. Apparently, it was mandatory for us to meet one of the Lard's annoited. I just pretended to ask, then I ended up going to work.

During the next sacrament meeting, someone in the bishopric refered to himself as a spiritual midget when staning next to the gigantic apostle.

Posted by: Kelli ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 02:04PM

Hi. New to post here, but have been learning here for so e time. This has been puzzling me for some time now. I am nevermo, but have been married to a tbm for 39 years. The only criminals I have ever known personally have been tbms.

My returned missionary son in law has been indicted on a class 2 felony for car theft. He has also alienated my daughter from her entire family.

His former mission companion and good friend recently got out of federal prison (along with several of this friend's family members) for bank fraud.

My ex-neighbor, who is also my husband's former stake president, was recently arrested in a sting operation run by our local police department. Rumor has it that he was trying to hook up with two underage prostitutes.

My list is longer than this, but so much is too close to home to be able to share. I also wonder why people think mormons have so much integrity.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 06:28PM

Kelli - You almost have enough people on that list to make the next "Meet the Mormons" movie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 06:28PM by seekyr.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 06:40PM

Welcome, Kelli. Glad you came out of lurkdom.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 02:18PM

I only hear about TBM integrity from TBMs. The same way I hear about:

TBM's niceness from TBMs
TBM's forever families from TBMs
TBM's blessedness from TBMs

no one else talks about it or notices it around me except to point out ironies.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 10:45PM

Mormons are, on average, far less honest than someone who is not a mormon.

Mormon Lawyers are far far far less honest than non-mormon lawyers.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 05:15PM

First time I ever saw one of those 1970s and 80s LDS TV ads, I remember thinking: if they teach their members to be kind and truthful at church, and they are such good people at heart already, why do they have to use TV ads to show each other how to behave? Don't they watch Sesame Street or The Brady Bunch, where all that good stuff gets shown, all the time?

They were like health filmstrips from the 1950s, showing rubes with no knowledge of the subject at all, the exact steps, in order, of how to do something. How to appear nice and kind. Not just HT behave with each other, but especially HT behave with outsiders.

Just like with some of the newer ones: Wouldn't you just already know as a nice, kind person, to offer to help out the umpire who officiated your game, whose car died? When you're the only one with jumper cables and it's dark out, and he's all alone, it's up to you. What kind of idiot thinks it's ok to pass him up, just because he made some calls against you? Especially when you have the kids and wife in the car as a witness to such bad behavior. That one always made me say to my hubby, wth? Why does any grown man need to be taught that?

And about the older ones they used to run:

Wouldn't you just already know as a normal, non bigot human being, that it was the right thing to do to call a friend a friend or by their actual name, not refer to them as a Jewish friend (or a black one, or whatever?) when speaking of them?

Wouldn't you just know, or wouldn't you parents teach you, that truthful children who throw a baseball through someone's window, don't lie about it or hide it, and tell their parents the truth?

Wouldn't you just know, as a person who genuinely likes and cares about others, to include others in your playground games, to not talk badly about others who are unlike you?

And if you don't know because you're too young, and they're not discussing that in preschool or at the dinner table, doesn't your church teach you that suff, beginning in Sunday School or in the infant room, continuing in teen group or during every Sunday meeting, over the pulpit?

Who needs a TV ad to teach them that?

Or is it that you think only your church does that for its members and the rest of us are the ones needing that lesson, from you?

My mother used to say pffft! loudly, when these ads came on. And once, she huffed right out of the room.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 02, 2014 01:17AM

genuine kindness, warmth, honesty and integrity. I admired them for that.

The first Mormon who genuinely shocked me was none other than the prophet - even Gordon B. Hinckley - who came out with his famous line, "I don't know that we teach that."

I was stunned. I remember thinking, "You lying SOB! Of COURSE you teach that! It's in the handbook that we study in Sunday school!" (Or a hymn, or someplace - but I KNEW that it was part of their teachings!) I was hugely disillusioned. The guy at the top of the food chain - and there he was, big as life and twice as ugly, LYING on national TV!

And I gradually came to see that there were lies to cover other lies, fudging on reports, gossip that I knew was not true - I was very much disappointed. I had believed that these people were BETTER than most. But they weren't. And if you dared to point out their errors (always careful to have evidence of your own point of view, of course), would they retract their error? Not on your life. It was YOUR ass that was in the wringer for daring to point it out.

Call it the cynicism of old age. Nowadays, I try to ascertain what people are like based on their individual merits. And if something inside me says "I really don't LIKE this person," I trust that, and the effort stops there.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 05:27PM

I find Mormons to be perfectly acceptable as long as you don't do business with them, live with them, try to reason with them, or associate with them in any way. Utah is the Mississippi of the west, and I'm a California Yankee.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 02, 2014 12:11AM

Don, I lived in both CA & Mississippi. I can tell you that the majority of people in either state are far and above more honest, kinder & considerate than the "majority" of the people here in Utah.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 02, 2014 12:14AM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 05:33PM

One more reason I think LDS Inc is broke.

These people have been embezzling everything from the corporation.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 11:30PM

Given no new temple announcements in the past couple GCs, they must be finding other ways to get the money out of the corp and into the hands of the real shareholders.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 06:20PM

My TBM step-dad learned the hard way that the cult does not produce people with "integrity."

He's an attorney (or was until he retired). Practiced in SoCal for 25+ years, successfully, during which time he was converted. Married my mom, divorced from my inactive dad, about 3 years after his conversion.

About 3 years after that, he felt the "pull" to go to "Zion" -- and move to Utah. So off they went. And he opened his law practice there, after qualifying for the Utah bar.

A couple of years later, when I was visiting, I asked him how things were going in the practice.

"Pretty bad," he admits. "I had clients who I had to chase down for payment in California, but up here *nobody* pays. And nearly all of them are members of the church. They come to me because I'm in their ward, and they would prefer to deal with a priesthood holder -- and then none of them pay me. It's to the point where I'm considering leaving Utah."

I was already out, and so had a hard time stifling a hearty laugh at his misfortune -- which I could have warned him about before he headed for "Zion."

A year later, nearly broke, he left Utah for Montana -- and paying clients. He says now he'll never go back to Utah.
Of course, he's still TBM...

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: November 02, 2014 04:00AM

Yeah, my in laws are always trying to hit me up for free legal advice. It's annoying.

My SIL's bishop is a doctor and they are always calling him for stuff. Especially since they don't have insurance. They literally feel entitled to free medical care because the guy is their bishop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.