Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 08:10PM

48erhater, I suppose geographically the BlueJays can be said to be Canadian. Not sure about the reality but I think you get my irony. Football (soccer) has a true world series as does hockey, rugby, basketball, cricket and even little league, probably other sports, too, but until US teams play in a real world series against the likes of Japan, Cuba, and Venezuala, I think they are US champions only.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 08:32PM

It was sponsored by the newspaper, The New York World. Hence, the "WORLD Series."

Football/soccer does have the World Cup, true, but the teams are composed of specially recruited and formed teams by each nation. It's not like our pro leagues, where the same players (give or take trades) play with each other through a full season. In the UK there is a plethora of "national cups" and "championships."

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 08:45PM

There are baseball teams in other countries they could play to make it truly a world event. Likely it might help project baseball, and the NFL for that matter, into major sports status in world terms. I know, too, how the term "world" series began but does anyone really refer to that today. Soccer has a European Champions League as do other areas of the world and they do play for a world club championship.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 01:03AM

It's just one of those delightful oddities that make people love Americans. <grin>

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 11:15AM

Praize to the Little League World Series

It actually is a “world series”.

Fun to watch too ~ the players are too young to be drug abusing millionaires

ziller

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 11:22AM

Kansas City has shown a lot of class through this World Series. Thank you, Royals!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.