Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 06:30PM

And therefore be a manifestation of someone being less valiant in the pre existence?

I am wondering because it seems as though they have represented homosexuals persons as people who have either chosen a lifestyle or somehow satan has convinced them that homosexuality would be some type of fun adventure.

I am thinking this is a position they will need to change in the future for PR purposes.

Is a 1978 type revelation possible in this area? I think it would alienate alt of older members who took out second mortgages to pay for Lds Incs meddling in prop 8.

Anyone have any ideas what might happen in the future?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 06:32PM

. . . a reasonable doctrinal comprise.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 07:08PM

They believe those who "suffer" from Same sex attraction (language of the LDS PR team) basically just have a cross to bear.

They put it on the same level as those with addictions or temptations to "sin"

They say we all have our own "weaknesses", which is true, but they sloppily toss homosexuality into that mix.

However you slice it, LDS still think that homosexuality is either some "weakness" or temptation certain people "suffer" from.

To them no one is a Homosexual, just some people are "weak"

There are many mormons who believe that the "Atonement" will/can cure people from that "temptation" therefore we will all be straight one day (in the same way we will all be "white" one day)

So yes, very much like a curse or disease.

In the future they will pretend that what I just said is complete nonsense. When it is brought up they will get all in a huff and pronounce "We never taught that, that's horrible!"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 07:10PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 09:27AM

I have a SSA friend who doesn't believe that most men are straight. He divides guys into "gay" and "stubborn".

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 11:53AM

Whether or not they pretend not to look down on gays and that they just have a burden to bear, they treat them otherwise. Many leaders at least. I really like what the guy from Apple had to say yesterday--his greatest gift from God.

On my good days, I even can say that, that my ex is a gift from God.

My ex stated recently, when I mentioned to him yet again that I had heard that if gays stay true to the lds church, they will be changed to straight in the next life. He said, "How would they like it if they were changed to gay in the next life?"

One of the things that makes me really angry still is the effect the lds church's attitude has on my own children. I remember Emily Pearson saying that when she was a teenager and went to lds church functions, she felt like she had to choose between God and her father. I see that in my daughter especially.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 11:54AM by cl2.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 07:10PM

No....they think it's a choice.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 07:36PM

the fact that they use the phrase "suffering from SSA" tells you everything you need to know about the LDS position on gays.

The church has a perfect record so far on every major social issue. Marriage, civil rights etc etc the church has been wrong 100% of the time.

I expect their record to remain intact.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 07:45PM

Well said.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 07:49PM

All I know is the "burden", the "struggle", and the "curse" are not about being gay, but about being Mormon.

Mormons made my life hell. Being gay has actually worked out well once I conquered the weakness of being Mormon or as I call it MCA . . .Mormon Church Attraction.

But to answer your question--there doesn't seem to be an official stance. I have heard some claim we chose our own "test" in this life while in the pre-existence. I have heard it said that we were assigned our "challenges" by a loving (ha ha) Heavenly Father who knew the best way to make us strong.

When I was young I was always taught that it was a filthy habit that Satan tempted us with--like smoking only worse, and that we gave in to sin because of weakness.

But I have never heard anyone in the church put it on the same level as what they said about the blacks and the curse of Cain, or the lamanite curse of dark skin because of their evil ways being all sick of the goody goody Nephites.

No one has yet claimed that while the War in Heaven was raging, and every spirit was needed to fight, all the gay guys were off at a cocktail party doing flower arrangements and Mrs. God's hair and so they were CURSED with SSA. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 07:56PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 07:58PM

I'm pretty sure if there was a War in Heaven, I'd definitely be off at a cocktail party! :)

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 08:04PM

Perhaps people on this board should start talking about people "suffering from Mormonism"as in "from birth until 24, I suffered from Mormonism".

Mormons can't hardly complain about the term being offensive to them.

Maybe I will hit some LDS boards and try this out. Never been a troll before.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 08:08PM

They consider it a "struggle." Mormons say that people "struggle" with "same-sex attraction." To say "gay" is playing to gays, and to say "homosexual" is too sexual for their sensitivities.

Posted by: nutbutter ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 12:05AM

fyi Deco,
I don't wear garmies......kinda why I post here. I'm a writer and a supporter of those in the Lgbt community.
glad your other post was removed. Wouldn't it hurt your social life and career if you were falsely accused of being a criminal that is called cyber bullying.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 01:07AM

My TBM mother thinks it's a damn choice! That anyone who's not straight is choosing to sin! She is a two-faced bitch when it comes to that stuff because she claims to have gay "friends".

Posted by: persephone ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 01:56AM

The best advice I ever got was to trust myself and accept my family for who they are otherwise I will be fighting them or people like them for the rest of my life. Better to enjoy your life and go towards your passions. You don't have to prove anything to anyone. If your mother's a bigot she's a bigot don't let it traumatize you anymore.

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 09:10AM

My parents believe that I am being tempted with homosexual attraction because I was so valiant in the premarital existence and that Satan wants to destroy me so that I can't reach my full potential as a child of God. Ever since I came out to them a few years ago, they have constantly been telling me that I need God so much more during "this part of my life" (meaning phase, I guess) and they are always pleading with me to pray and read my scriptures. So although they don't see it as a curse, they can't come to terms with it or accept it. So in one sense it kind of is a curse. I often wonder if I'll ever be able to have a good relationship with my parents ever again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 09:13AM by jdawg333.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 10:38AM

Jesus said love everyone.

So I started with men. No "struggle" at all.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 12:24PM

So it sounds like Jesus wants everyone to be bisexual. I guess I'm falling short - just other guys for me.

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 02:41PM

Interesting that someone can be "less valiant in the premortal", but you can't be "on the line with your righteousness". huh?
mormons are so contradictory.. it kills me

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 03:13PM

Not a curse but a "trial".

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 04:52PM

Be all you can be and not what others would have you be.
Is being a girl a trail? is being a boy a trail? or call it a curse if you will.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 04:56PM

1) It's a physical disease, that can be an addiction. You can use any variety of the 12 step programs or other "help" to stop your addiction.

2) A lot of LGBT mormons do try self help groups like "Affirmation" and try to find comfort in reciting a few LDS leader quotes or scriptures that make them feel better. So it's not always the local members fault, We (LGBT) community have to take some responsibility for allowing TSCC to take our tithing, count as a member, assign church positions (but as many find out, never w/the youth---Because to Morg Corp Homosexuality=Pedophilia.

Because so many people are coming out, more and more members are either having to accept gays into their lives (Sons, cousins, Aunts, nephews, etc...) The down to Earth Mormon member is blind and trying to find their way, and most are very accepting, loving or really don't care about SSA or Gay Marriage. It seems to only be a few bigots and of course the GA's.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.