Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:58PM

Rereading some of the posts regarding the library purge, I suddenly remembered this. After they gave the priesthood to blacks, the church went around house to house. The home teachers came and asked us to see the Family Home Evening manual(s) we had. After I brought them out, they asked why I had so many. I answered that I used them for lesson preparation.

They said the bishop wanted us to turn these in so that everyone could use them in the library. I thought that was a nice thought and gave them up. INCLUDING the latest one, with Jesus on the cover, called "FOLLOW HIM." Needless to say, I never saw any FHE manuals in the library after that and realized after I left that I had just witnessed modern book-burning, for the sole purpose of LDS deniability, "We never taught that."

Anyone else recall?

Kathleen Waters

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:09PM

'I Wish' this was news/something new for tCoJCoLDS; they're Masters of revisionism.

see them at DI? I wonder if they have a list of LDS published books not to sell...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:38PM

I remember that. I never put 2 and 2 together until just now.

D'oh!

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:44PM

We need to get ahold of the list of LDS books DI is not to sell.

Those are the ones we need archived online.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 07:40PM

If you're in the SL Valley, hit up the local DI stores as much as you can. They have TONS of older materials on the shelves right now.

Posted by: johnnie ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 11:35AM

There has only been one FHE manual, and it is still sold by distribution (without any updating if the cover is any indication)? This must have been a local thing. (Or maybe it wasn't an FHE manual, maybe the RS/PH manuals?)

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 02:14PM

They used to, pre-1980, come out with a new FHE manual every year and the lessons changed all the time.

I remember them when my dad would buy them at the church and bring them home.

The old priesthood manuals used to be something too, before they started doing the presidents of the church.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 07:57PM

I was born in 1962 and I remember how much I looked forward to getting the new FHE manual every year. By the time I was 10 or 12 years old, I would call dibs on the lessons that I wanted to teach that year. That way all the stupid lessons were left for my brothers and sister.

Geez, I was pretty brainwashed back then.

Posted by: anonAnglo ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 12:14PM

No, we used to get new FHE manuals every year until the current one was introduced. Each had a theme for the year. Then when the current FHE manual was introduced in the early 80s, the earlier ones were considered obsolete, and we were told there would be no new FHE manual but we had to use this one for evermore. I kept my copies of the old FHE manuals from approx 1976-1981 until just last year until I had a massive clear out of old manuals.

We weren't asked to turn ours in though, we were just told not to use them.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 01, 2014 08:14PM

I vaguely remember this. My family was not LDS so we never had FHE but I remember this because I had the impression that FHE was going to be done away with.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.