Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Katy ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:06PM

This creepy old man that I work with recently made that comment about a colleague. Let's just call him Tom. I just about laughed in his face at this statement.

After dealing with dictatorial religious leaders of many stripes (not just Mormons), I firmly believe that everyone has the right to stand up for themselves. In fact, the lower someone's station the more imperative it is that the person have a voice.

If everyone followed dictatorial and immoral Tom's advice, then the world would have even more oppression than it does now. My response to Tom is that those he wishes to crush should follow Maggie Kuhn's advice to 'Speak your mind even if your voice shakes.' And I believe that Tom and his immoral cronies should STFU and listen to those "beneath them." These people could learn volumes by actually listening rather than trying to lecture and crush others.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:15PM

My mother said that I take myself too seriously. My mother.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:05PM

I suppose they want us to take ourselves more flippantly.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 02:13AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:24PM

Katy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe that Tom and his
> immoral cronies should STFU and listen to those
> "beneath them." These people could learn volumes
> by actually listening rather than trying to
> lecture and crush others.

"Then what's the point of being over others?" they might respond.

A friend told me of how when she lived in Costa Rica, some people she knew let her homestead on some land they owned. After she had built a small house and had some nice gardens producing food, the owners kicked her off the property. "But... but... I put all this work into everything. Shouldn't I get compensated?"

"No. Poor people (like my friend) just do things for rich people (like the land owners). That's the way the world works."

And that's the way too many bosses and leaders think. They have power, therefore they believe they're superior in all ways and that they get to boss those without power around. And, certainly, you don't SHARE power or give any to the underlings.

Posted by: lightenup ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:38PM

Katy,
you go girl. I'm with you all the way. Everyone has power should they choose to exercise it. defeatism is a self fulfilling prophecy. There is ample evidence to prove both sides. empowerment is tres sexier and much more fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.