Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:21AM

Isn't this an amazing blessing from our loving Heavenly Father?

Nice way to introduce fear and uncertainty in the guise of positivity.

How is this for a twisted, veiled threat from an abusive cult?

In fact, right after "Families Can Be Together Forever" in the hymnal they should have a hymn titled "Mommy and Daddy Might Not Have to Kill Me".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 10:23AM by generationofvipers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:36AM

I agree. Check out this link to other disgusting teachings on the subject of wayward children.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2002/09/hope-for-parents-of-wayward-children?lang=eng

This is one thing that kills me in my relationship with my family. It is the "you'll be back because you know in your heart it is true."

Arggggg.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 11:55AM

Elders, never love your wives one hair's breadth further than they adorn the Gospel, never love them so but that you can leave them at a moment's warning without shedding a tear.

Should you love a child any more than this? No. Here are Apostles and Prophets who are destined to be exalted with the Gods, to become rulers in the kingdom of our Father, to become equal with the Father and the Son, and will you let your affections be unduly placed on anything this side that kingdom and glory? If you do, you disgrace your calling and Priesthood. The very moment that persons in this Church suffer their affections to be immoderately placed upon an object this side the celestial kingdom, they disgrace their profession and calling. When you love your wives and children, are fond of your horses, your carriages, your fine houses, your goods and chattels, or anything of an earthly nature, before your affections become too strong, wait until you and your family are sealed up unto eternal lives, and you know they are yours from that time henceforth and for ever.

I will now ask the sisters, do you believe that you are worthy of any greater love than you bestow upon your children? Do you believe that you should be beloved by your husbands and parents any further than you acknowledge and practise the principle of eternal lives? Every person who understands this principle would answer in a moment, "Let no being's affections be placed upon me any further than mine are on eternal principles-principles that are calculated to endure and exalt me, and bring me up to be an heir of God and a joint heir with Jesus Christ." This is what every person who has a correct understanding would say.

Owing to the weaknesses of human nature you often see a mother mourn upon the death of her child, the tears of bitterness are found upon her cheeks, her pillow is wet with the dews of sorrow, anguish, and mourning for her child, and she exclaims, "O that my infant were restored to me," and weeps day and night. To me such conduct is unwise, for until that child returned to its Father, was it worthy of your fullest love? No, for it was imperfect, but now it is secure in the bosom of the Father, to dwell there to all eternity; now it is in a condition where it is worthy of your perfect love, and your anxiety and effort should be that you may enter at the same gate to immortality.

When the wife secures to herself a glorious resurrection, she is worthy of the full measure of the love of the faithful husband, but never before. And when a man has passed through the vail, and secured to himself an eternal exaltation, he is then worthy of the love of his wife and children, and not until then, unless he has received the promise of and is sealed up unto eternal lives. Then he may be an object fully worthy of their affections and love on the earth, and not before.

Journal of Discourses Vol.3:360
Brigham Young

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:38PM

The original proclamation on the family.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 01:39PM by caedmon.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:40PM

Families can be together forever.......except for you, you......and you.

Let's face it. Not everyone is going to make it so you might as well start ignoring them now.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 06:53PM

Wow nice Briggy Quote!

I am going to save this one for future reference.

Posted by: oldspeak ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 01:46AM

TSCC still teaches this in a way. I was taught to put God first before everything; marriage and family included. As a TBM I always felt guilty because I knew in my heart that I loved my husband more than God. Always knew that if God told me my husband couldn't come to the CK that I wouldn't go without him. Then we had our daughter and it broke the cult spell. There was no way I was ever going to put TSCC before her in anything. I can't imagine the frame of mind someone must put themselves in to put TSCC and God above all else. Even the story of Job sickened me that he was okay with losing his whole family because he got a new one. Wtf!? Was not the kind of God that I could follow.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:11PM

Huh. This article might actually make my mother feel better about me leaving. And if it manipulated her into feeling better, then she'd stop crying over me all the time, and my child guilt would subside a little...
I'd be tempted to share it with her, except it would then make her think I still believed in the teachings of the church and that would give her false hope, and round and round we go.

Sheesh.

Posted by: HillCountry ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 10:55AM

Another Hymn for Children:

"The Universe Might Not be A Great Cosmic Illusion"

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 12:59PM

Always the conditional love the Morg is famous for. Fucking cult! The Boner.

Posted by: CalgaryMan ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 05:20PM

LOL "Mommy and Daddy Might Not Have to Kill Me" sung to the tune of Families Can Be Together Forever.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 06:34PM

Families shouldn't (necessarily [have to]) be together forever.

Besides, Mormonism didn't create the family and they have no right or power to destroy it. It is up to the family. Is it strong enough to resist the temptation of the ultimate destroyer [Mormonism]?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 06:38PM

Mine didn't even last a lifetime.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 07:29PM

My limited lifetime experience thus far has shown me that Mormonism is extremely adept at "weaponizing" family members against each other ie., the believers, the not-so-much-believers and of course the heretical apostates.

Pray-tell what else could one expect from the over-rated and over-used moniker of the "family oriented church"???

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 08:12PM

And what happens when your father of record is not your father of descent?

Posted by: nutbutter ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 12:16AM

I find my mormon family very cultish.....what's the deal I don't want the same family forever. I don't mind adding to the circle and subtracting as one sees fit. Who wants to hang out with the same people for eternity never mixing it up. not I, even if they are/were fun intelligent or entertaining. Kinda makes me like the idea of reincarnation or just stirring the pot a bit. mormonthink = culturally incestuous xenophobic boring.

Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 02:43PM

That's my thinking as well

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 11:57PM

Worship TMchurch. Until then, (the family is) DOOM(ed)! Mormonism... in a nutshell. [No need in being cracked].

A family isn't family (until it leaves all BS [Mormon dogma] and uselessness behind) tomorrow. Today is the day to live!

A family that doesn't live today deserves not tomorrow.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.