Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 11:19PM

I would think it does.

At the very least, more viewpoints expressed bring more options to the conversation.

This itself is perhaps as damaging to LDS Inc as their mis steps and coverups that are all being unleashed via google.

The unrestrained nature of online forums, from the crazy trolls that drop by here to the LDS Freedom Forum not only offer a different viewpoint, but allow us to peer into the minds of people that are so different from us, yet we know enough of the indoctrination process to understand how they got there.

Perhaps it is better to treat these people with pity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:26AM

That's an interesting question. Off hand, I'd say no, for two reasons: (1.) The rise of the internet has corresponded with a decline in advanced literacy, meaning the ability to process long texts. People are mostly reading very short texts online, and are not reading long print articles or books as much as they did in the past. (It's even happened to me, and I probably used to read 100 or more books a year.) The ability to process long texts and follow complex arguments throughout a long text has suffered dramatically.

(2.) People can easily self-ghettoize online, seeking out forums tailored to very narrow interests and viewpoints. In many forums, conformity to a single set of opinions is valued so highly that anyone offering an alternative view is immediately labeled a troll. Dissent from a prescribed viewpoint isn't seen as a challenge, but actually as a kind of pathology in some cases.

Both of those factors lead me to believe that critical thinking is undermined by the way we use the internet. I'm not sure the wider availability of information is enough to make up for them. When it comes to Mormons, I think it's fairly easy for them to insulate themselves in a TBM online ghetto and avoid "anti" material.

On the other hand, I've seen a few people here and elsewhere online say that they first started doubting the church when doing research for a talk or Sunday school lesson, and finding material that contradicted church teaching. But for the most part, I think people who use the internet to study their way out of the church deliberately seek out the "damaging" information because they're already doubting.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 12:34PM

As with any source material, it depends on what you are reading. If all you read are false flag and 9-11 truther blogs online, then no, I'd have to say you are not getting better at critical thinking.

If you read a diverse variety of things, from many sources and many points of view, spend some time determining if the sources or writers of the words you are looking at are legitimate and credible, then yes, I'd say you are probably getting more experience using critical thinking skills, and becoming more of a critical thinker.

But, like the farmer says: you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. You can also lead a believer of myths and lies to the truth, but you cannot make them think.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 12:37PM

The internet itself? No.

The exchanges and dialogues that take place on the internet? Yes.

Kind of like a book doesn't make you smarter....reading it and applying what you learned does.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:05PM

I think it does help.

However, you spend a lot more time having to research this and that and there are many many viewpoints.

There is a lot of crap you have to filter through before you find the "truth" or evidence that strengthens whatever opinion you are forming at the time.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 02:06PM

Phazer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it does help.
>
> However, you spend a lot more time having to
> research this and that and there are many many
> viewpoints.
>
> There is a lot of crap you have to filter through
> before you find the "truth" or evidence that
> strengthens whatever opinion you are forming at
> the time.

The crap that needs to be filtered is exactly what I am referring to.

For example, my father was an old school type college professor. If it was written in a textbook it was the absolute truth.

Today we have a generation that has been accustomed to question all that is printed or published, which is why I think the internet has improved these skills.

Yes there are the crackpots. This is not new, but certainly they have a larger stage. However, I think there is a better ability of more people to determine their credibility.

Simple slogans such as "not necessary for your salvation" no longer passes muster when there is overwhelming contradicting information that people may form their own opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 02:08PM by deco.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 02:03PM

Without disagreeing with what you said, I think the following from 2008 has been shown to be true:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/is-google-making-us-stupid/306868/

If you're interested, Nicholas Carr has been expounding on this topic at great length since 2005:

http://www.roughtype.com

A selection of his published articles over the years:

http://www.nicholascarr.com/?page_id=25

His books are excellent as well.

Human

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 03:27PM

We have had search capable internet for amost 20 years. Are people smarter? I don't think so. The church is still here and government corruption is the most rampant I have ever seen in the US. All with so called internet exposure.

It has great potential but getting the potential out of it is work and frankly, the mass majority of people are lazy and don't want to put the effort in. Heck. People stay in the church or accept corruption because they are too lazy to do otherwise.

Being a free and educated individual is a lot of work. Most people don't want to put the effort in to be such internet or no internet.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 05:33PM

Yes, my proof?

Loss of LDS church members and the TV show "Catfish."

We learn to be skeptical. We learn to read an opinion without discarding it because the person is black, or Russian, or fat, or gay...because we don't know that.

We learn that people are just people, some are worth your time and others are not.

This is true even if you are a forum follower of Jesse Ventura, Alex Jones, are a Republican, birther, a truther, a liberal, a Republican or self-identify as a UFO abduction victim.

As you argue over standards of proof within your own bubble, your mind gets sharper.

If, on the other hand, you use the internet to watch movies and tv, no, you are probably not getting smarter.

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 05:49PM

The internet doesn't "do" anything. It sits there, waiting for us to use its resources (or not).

The resources on the internet range from fact to fancy, from delusion to fantasy, from reason to madness. You can find all of the above and more. Such ideas and claims have existed as long as there have been humans -- it's just never been so easy to see the wide range of human thought, reason, and folly as it is now.

What we *do* with the stuff on the internet is what can improve "critical thinking skills." Or reinforce delusion. Up to us. Not up to "the internet." :)

Posted by: Anti gman ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:27PM

I had my doubts starting in 1987 in the Salt Lake temple. it took the information I found on Mormonthink about the Book of Abraham to finally free my mind.

Thanks Internet!

Posted by: boydslittlefactory ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 10:48PM

Possibly not in all areas, but religion doesn't fare very well on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rqw4krMOug

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 04, 2014 10:58PM

I don't think so. I also don't think you need much in the way of critical thinking skills to get yourself out of the mormon church. I do think many people have left the church thanks to the internet. Not because they developed razor sharp thinking skills but because they found out their prophet used a rock in the hat and boinked teenage girls.

Posted by: Ryan ( )
Date: November 06, 2014 08:52PM

I'm a big believer in Kevin Drum's "cognitive inequality of the internet" theory which argues on the whole humanity is getting dumber because of the internet.

Premise 1: The internet makes smart people smarter and dumb people dumber. The internet allows smart people, who know how to filter out the crap, to find any question instantaneously. Dumb people, on the other hand, get caught up in tin-foil hat theories and other rabbit holes.

Premise 2: There are more dumb people than smart people

Ergo, in the aggregate, the internet us making us dumber.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: November 06, 2014 09:30PM

Depends on whether you shop around the edges or in the center. On the whole, people are not the wisest shoppers and I think such stores are responsible for the rise in obesity, diabetes, and health problems of overindulgence. Maybe that's why the smartest shoppers use local produce, farmers' markets, co-ops.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.