Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: othersteve ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 12:47AM

I've been going to the same dentist for about twenty years. I've been able to avoid religious discussion until today, although he's said enough in the past that I know he's LDS.

Today, while working in my mouth, and while I was on nitrous oxide, he and his assistant were talking about President Monson. At one point, the assistant asked me if I was LDS. I shook my head and said uh-uh.

Later, when I could speak, the dentist asked me what religion I was. I thought this was totally inappropriate, but I told him I was not religious. His response, "Oh really! Well, do you believe in God?" At that point I had enough sense to say, "I know who President Monson is, but I'm not comfortable saying more than that."

Why does a simple visit to the dentist involve this type of interrogation? Aggravating. It just reinforces the stereotype I've formed from my previous experience with Mormons--most of them either have no sense of personal boundaries, or don't respect them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: redfeather ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 01:03AM

I don't think what he said would have been entirely out of place in a conversation between friends, but it's definitely inappropriate for a professional setting.

I think they behave this way because church-related subjects have been so ingrained into their minds so much and they have to think about it every time someone offers them coffee, etc. Not to mention the "every member a missionary" brainwashing that goes on. Mormons are taught that proselytization = the best thing you could ever do for anyone.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 02:57AM

I don't think you were the only one in the room on nitrous.

Posted by: heynonny ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 06:12AM

.... Does your dentist have penthouse magazines in the waiting room?

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 07:09PM

...nitrous is NEVER adequate. MUST have sodium pentothal.

https://thebrotherhoodofevilgeeks.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/9556224_orig.jpg

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:05AM

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:07AM

My dentist/doctor would never DREAM of asking me about religion!

That is just beyond insane.

And yes you are right, mormons have a problem with boundaries.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:10AM

The only real time off is spent in doing church duties or reading church materials or attending church functions.

They're just not exposed to normal life activities or information or entertainment. They can't discuss plays, movies or books that they've never read or will get a chance to read (50 Shades of Grey, Interview w/a Vampire, any Stephen King)? They can't discuss plays (Book of Mormon, Pippin, Kinky Boots, Hedwig and the angry inch). Movies (too many to list).

So really all of their "small talk" or chatting is done about TSCC with other TSCC members. I've heard this so many times especially in the Mordor (Idaho, Utah, Arizona) that LDSinc. is brought into the work place so much that it offends non-LDS employees and customers that memos and visits to HR have to be done at least once a month in many companies.

It really is sad and pathetic if you think about it; you can't even change subjects or genre because they don't know anything else!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 03:26AM

It's a little nerve wracking to go to doctors and dentists. They need to be professional in their conversations with patients.

I'm sorry this guy wasn't.

All else being equal, I'd prefer to go to nonmo medical people. I don't want to be at the mercy of someone who thinks of me as an unworthy godless outsider.

Posted by: surroundednjudged ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 04:19AM

I so agree; having been judged by an LDS dentist, but how do I find non-LDS providers?

Posted by: jefecito ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 07:10AM

Finding a minority or woman doctor or dentist would surely increase their odds of not being Mormon.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:10AM

that you're shopping for a new dentist who will treat you with respect and not have issues with you for religious or political reasons as these topics are not appropriate in a healthcare situation.

I might cancel the appointment if I find religious materials or missionary tracts in the waiting room.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 07:47AM

Patient: was your Prophet Joseph Smith a dentist?
Dentist: no, why?
Patient: I'd heard he filled a lot of young, female cavities.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 08:35AM

He's crazy even for LDS, one of my healthcare providers is LDS (it mentions in his CV why the 2 year gap) but I've had several appts and we chat about all sorts of things, he also has a Keurig in his waiting room with coffee and a fridge filled with water and various cokes including caffeinated ones. I really like him, your guy is nuts

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 08:55AM

Find a new dentist.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 09:01AM

I'm a gay man living in SLC my husband and I have been going to the same dentist for 25 years. The dentist is LDS as well as his staff. Everyone treats us with respect. If I go in for a cleaning everyone asks how my husband is doing. I've never heard the church mentioned EVER while I'm there.

Find a new dentist. Your dentist's comment would have been a deal breaker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 09:02AM by lapsed.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 09:07AM

Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0Y39eMvpI

Find a new dentist. I go to an LDS dentist and he thinks I'm active which is ok by me. BUT we do NOT talk about religion.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 09:12AM

Mormonism. He had ensigns and BofMs in his waiting room and I believe he was the biggest crook around. My ex picked him and I just kept going because I hate dentists and didn't want to find a new one.

I finally found a new one and I'm SURE he is Mormon, but I never hear a word about it. I keep sending more and more people to him.

When we were children, we went to a dentist who was a bishop. I never thought much about what he and his assistant talked about. Years later, my sister told me that they were gossiping about people in the ward and he was telling his assistant things he knew as a bishop that were private. I have to admit I've always been a BIT NAIVE. Not many dentists in Utah who aren't Mormon.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 09:31AM

If you find a new dentist, tell the old one why you left. You think religion is not an appropriate topic. Unless you say something, mormons just won't get the hint.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 09:37AM

I must wonder how Christopher Hitchens would have responded in the same situation.

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:02AM

If he is a dentist and LDS he is in leadership. He's being a missionary to you. Mine does the same thing. They don't get boundaries.

Posted by: txnevermo ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:07AM

I really like my dentist. He found out I grew up in Utah as a non-Mormon. He did too. He spends most of my dental visits ranting about the Mormons and how much it sucked growing up in Utah. It's hilarious.

Our Utah dentist made a big deal about the fact that we weren't Mormon. He always asked how our church was going. Weirdo.

Posted by: scmormon ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:09AM

The staff at the local doctors office I go to has a physicians assistant that I know is a Mormon, and just recently was named as Bishop of the ward I am supposed to go to. I have been forced in the past to see him instead of my doctor. He has brought up the fact I need to be in church, so I give him a blank stare: pretty much telling him to kiss my butt!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 01:31PM

I would be rather blunt with him -- "I am here for professional services, not to discuss church. Are you able to deliver professional services in an unbiased manner?" -- and if he can't, write a letter of complaint to your physician.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 10:54AM

My dentist has extensive conversations about Mormon topics while I'm there, sometimes WAITING in the next room. I've heard him go on and on about Book of Mormon 'evidence' and I'm in the other room rolling my eyes and watching my time tick away. He hasn't brought it up to me. But I wonder if/when he will.

Sometimes I think people just don't realize 1) It's not professional to talk religion around clients and 2) people don't like to wait while you chat it up within earshot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 10:55AM by imaworkinonit.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 27, 2014 11:26AM

There are no personal boundaries within a cult. Therefore the members are taught that invasiveness is ok and appropriate.

I have on occasion told someone that this type of discussion is not why I am there to do business and of they wish to continue doing business with me to shut up about unrelated things!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 01:28PM

If someone doesn't have boundaries, you need to set them yourself. I would simply state, "I don't care to discuss religion."

There are plenty of good dentists out there. You might want to find another.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 01:39PM

Ask a question back:

To the question, do you believe in God--

Define what you mean by "belief" (saved, Monson is a prophet, etc)

Which definition of God (Jesus, HF, savior) one are you referring to?

And the ultimate-- I just love a religious discussion and we should really get deeply into the whole fascinating subject, but I make it a practice not to get into that here at work. Hope you understand the danger - don't get me started! (Laugh and wink)

I have to tell a story of the time I learned about the whole Elias/Elijah mistake that Joseph Smith made and researched that. It was the most boring thing ever and I could literally bore anyone away from talking about religion with me. If someone asked me about Joseph Smith or modern prophets, I would launch with, "A person really has to know and understand the old testament definition of prophet and how the Talmud evolved. Without that, how can we ever understand what Joseph Smith meant when he was confusing Elias and Elijah. Elias was a young man at the time of....on and on, with excruciating details. The temple chalices at that time were thought by some scholars to be pottery, while others believe they were solid gold. I myself lean to the side of gold and I believe there is plenty of archeological evidence to support that...on and on. Anyway, back to Elias...

I can guarantee that virtually anyone you are talking to will have excused themselves before you even get to the pottery vs. told part. And the neat thing is you've offended nobody and they still don't know your opinion because you won't give it until you have provided the backround of how Western Religion actually came from Northern India, etc.....

I have even gotten rid of bill collectors who used to call me every day. Boring people to death is the best way.

Kathleen Waters

PS. I got rid of the bill collector by thanking her for calling me frequently because I drink a full glass of water everytime she calls and how much my health has improved with more hydration. Does she know the importance of hydration, well let me explain, it all starts with the cell.....click.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 02:25PM

anagrammy Wrote, in part:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have even gotten rid of bill collectors who used
> to call me every day. Boring people to death is
> the best way.
>
>
> Kathleen Waters
>
> PS. I got rid of the bill collector by thanking
> her for calling me frequently because I drink a
> full glass of water everytime she calls and how
> much my health has improved with more hydration.
> Does she know the importance of hydration, well
> let me explain, it all starts with the
> cell.....click.
===================================================
My mom got rid of a friend's heavy-breather caller in a similar way.
This friend was another nurse and they worked thirds together. The breather would call her at home and at work and do the heavy breathing... till one time mom answered the phone. She interrupted the pant-a-thon by exclaiming, "Oh, dear, you sound AWFUL! Is it emphysema? Have you been to a doctor? I hate to say it but it could even be 'The Big C'! You must get that checked out! In the meantime I think you shouldn't try so hard to talk on the phone, it's wearing you out, instead of calling here you need to call the hospital... blah blah blah"

Pervo hung up on her.

Next time he called she answered it again. "Oh, ƒƱȻҜ, it's YOU again!" said the perv and never called again. Even at the friend's home!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 04:52PM

Your "Ask a question back" is spot on. However, your question back is way too tame.
I've asked " Do you take it up the ass?" (sorry my gay friends)
"Because the question that I just asked you is just as inappropriate as the one you just asked me"
I have never heard a decent comeback-usually just wide eyes & a quick exit.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 04:22PM

Q: "Do you believe in God"
A: "It's none of your God-damn business...how's that?"

Posted by: Anon777 ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 07:03PM

99% of Utah Dentists are Mormon, 100% of those Dentists are either Leadership or heading towards that. They're Evangelizing to you.

Solution: move out of the Morridor.

Posted by: Jake ( )
Date: November 28, 2014 07:30PM

I am an exmormon Dentist. But I am in Canada.....I would be happy to have all of you as patients. Funny story, when I was accepted to dental school my Mormon dad said to me, "So, I guess you are going to school to be a bishop."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.