Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nevermo432 ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 04:39PM

Obviously, I have never been to a Mormon temple wedding.

It has been my impression (based on not very much actually) that weddings in Mormon temples are DIRECTLY cost free (in other words: there are no rental charges or usage fees for the facilities, for the person who is officiating, etc.)...but is this true?

ARE there direct rental or service charges for anything like use of the premises, or temple clothes rental maybe?, or anyone who is facilitating (like temple workers who are not related in any way to, and probably do not personally know, those getting married?).

Granted, everyone there is paying tithes, but is there anything ELSE that the families of the bride and/or groom pay?

I've always wondered about this, and now I'm asking the question. Thank you for your replies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 28, 2014 04:40PM

Also: Does anyone customarily receive tips?? (Like the person officiating?)

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 06:12PM

No tip for officiating in the temple or for a wedding performed outside the temple by a bishop.

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 05:01PM

Temple clothing is worn, an it can be rented at a little desk next to the changing rooms. Often, but not always, people already have their own set, or a set can be lent them (since they're all roughly identical)

Otherwise, yes. It is free. No tip custom o which I am aware, either.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 05:24PM

They only ask for your soul and that you scrub a toilet before you leave.

Posted by: Strangite ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 05:39PM

You have to pay 10% of your income to get married in the temple.

Period.

Posted by: Strangite ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 05:41PM

Anyone attending the wedding has to pay 10% of their income.

Period.

Date: October 30, 2014 09:59PM

Thank you everyone!!

Now I know!

(And I apologize for the delay in acknowledging your posts. It has been over-the-top busy around here in totally unplanned, ways...because an employee unexpectedly, and without any notice at all, abandoned her job.)

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 10:07PM

Attendees wear Sunday clothes (not temple garb), so they wouldn't have to rent clothes.

Bride and groom are the only ones in the ugly temple robes.

I got married to my wife wearing a hideous baker's cap in an ill-fitting robe, listening to a man I've never met before drone on, while my family waited outside. While it may have been free in dollar terms, it certainly came at a steep cost.

To answer your question directly -- no, no direct costs. No tipping of the officiator or the bishop, no cost to use the facilities.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 30, 2014 10:57PM

There are no "direct" costs for a wedding in the mormon church unless you want to get married in the mormon church, in which case you officially must pay the direct cost of ten percent of your income.

It doesn't get any more direct than this - "you can't come in the door unless we have ten percent of your income and ten percent of all guests' income."

Tipping is not required, unless you want to pay more than ten percent of your income to get married in a mormon church. Anything over 10% could be considered a tip since that would not be required.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.