Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 01:53PM

I seem to remember that a respected polygamy researcher compiled a list of wives that Joe probably had sex with. Anyone know who that was and where I can find the list?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 02:10PM

Posted by: Ten Bear ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 02:18PM

Not so long ago you used to be able to log onto family search dot org, punch in joseph smith jr and bam, there they were - all of his wives, marriage dates, birth dates, all of it. Haven't heard if it's still the case.

Date: October 28, 2014 02:30PM

Yes, that is still the case.

Date: October 28, 2014 02:30PM

I meant a list of wives that Smith actually had sex with. I have found evidence (not always equally strong) for the following booty list:

Emma Hale
Louisa Beaman
Eliza Snow
Fanny Alger
Sarah Whitney
Lucy Walker
Sarah Lawrence
Maria Lawrence
Helen Mar Kimball
Emily Partridge
Eliza Partridge
Almera Johnson
Hannah Ells
Olive Frost
Melissa Lott
Presendia Huntington
Sylvia Sessions

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 02:36PM

I would be interested in a list but with the references supporting each. As you state, some of the evidence is stronger than others.

There is a starting point on Brian Hales' website. Of course, you can only really use this as a baseline and not definitive as he interprets some evidence through his TBM lens and rejects some legitimate evidence that points to sexual relations. But here is what he has:

http://josephsmithspolygamy.org/faq/sexuality-2/

See the list under the title of "Sexual Relations are Documented In Less than Half of Joseph Smith’s Plural Marriages".

Date: October 28, 2014 02:51PM

I combined Hales with i4m. I agree with Hales that single references are dubious but I agree with you that he is very quick to reject some pretty convincing evidence.

Unwittingly, Hales is clear about his agenda: he needs Joe to not have slept with teenies Helen and Nancy (the other teenagers he's OK with, never leave your teenage daughters alone with Mr. Hales) or with the married ones.

If you look at the list, it's obvious that Joe slept with his young and perky "wives" but with the older ones, not so much.

Date: October 28, 2014 03:14PM

Yeah, once they hit 16, it's ok to admit to the sex. What a warped mind.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 02:57PM

I would add Mary Rollins Lightner to the list. She does not come out and admit the deed, but her polygamy conversion story and various comments seem to make it clear enough.

Date: October 28, 2014 02:59PM

Oh, and the fact that she was sealed to Joseph Smith for "time and all eternity".

Date: October 28, 2014 03:18PM

Bingo.

Good old Brian Hales lists about a half dozen citations evidence supporting a "time" component to the *polyandrous* marriage to Mary Elizabeth Lightener. But one citation where she says "eternity" without mentioning "time" and he rejects all the other stuff because polyandrous sex is bad and JS cannot be bad. He does not even add it for consideration on his conclusion or summary. What an idiot!

It's a shame... because as far as apologists go, I think he has collected a great amount of information and is pretty open about the not-so-good facts. But he makes his work into an opinion piece by stretching the evidence to meet his conclusion.

Date: October 28, 2014 05:05PM

Hales seems to have trouble interpreting evidence. For example, from his website:

[BEGIN EXCERPT]
Correspondence in 1892 between Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner and John Henry Smith, indicated that the sealing performed while Joseph was alive was for “eternity”:

I hope you will not think me intrusive, I am sure I do not wish to be- If I could have an oportunity of conversing with you, and Brother Joseph [F. Smith] I could explain some things in regard to my living with Mr L, after becoming the Wife of another, which would throw light, on what now seems mysterious – and you would be perfectly satisfied with me. I write this; because I have heard that it had been commented on to my injury. I have done the best I could, and Joseph will sanction my action – I cannot explain things in this Letter – some day you will know all. That is, if I ever have an oportunity of conversing with either of you.

Mary Elizabeth doesn’t explain what information would make John Henry Smith “perfectly satisfied” regarding the apparent “polyandrous” arrangements. Yet, if had she reported that she had experienced sexual polyandry with Joseph Smith, John Henry Smith would not have been “perfectly satisfied.” In 1892, Church members would have considered sexual polyandry to be adultery.
[END EXCERPT]

Hales misses the most important clue, "...I could explain some things in regard to my living with Mr L, after becoming the Wife of another...".

She is attempting to assure them that her living with Adam was okay, NOT that her sealing to Joseph Smith was simply for eternity. In her mind, the sealing to Joseph Smith is THE marriage that matters, "...after becoming the Wife of another...". For Pete's sake, she was ALREADY the wife of another [Adam Lightner] when she became the wife of another [Joseph Smith]. But the only question she thinks to be relevant is why she lived with this Adam guy after becoming the prophet's wife.

Why does she need to have the time to converse with them to explain the situation? If the answer was a simple, "It was an eternal sealing only," then there would be no need for a complex explanation.

Date: October 28, 2014 05:13PM

Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to. And the kicker is that Hales even puts the evidence up where she refers to "time and eternity". But he somehow supersedes it with this. What a nutjob.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 03:12PM

I have no idea (apart from Emma and Fanny), but let's be honest with ourselves, he probably didn't sleep with every single one of them. I bet there's at least a couple he never had sex with.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 03:40PM

How many "wives" does Joe need to sleep with while practicing his Plural marriage/Polygamy/Spiritual Wifery for TBMs to internally think... Hey..Church, this is Bull$hit!! This information wasn't even in the Teaching of JS manual.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 03:23PM

Probably the best reference is the new paper that Grant Palmer has written for the John Whitmer Historical Journal. He also going to post this on MormonThink. It is concise and well written, and obviously,being from Grant, is well documented.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 03:37PM

Grant did a great job on this recent paper. Concise!

Date: October 28, 2014 05:15PM

Do you guys have a direct link to it? I guess I can dig around on the JWHA page... but couldn't find it after a cursory look.

Date: October 28, 2014 05:25PM

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 05:26PM

Date: October 28, 2014 05:38PM

Thanks... I've read it recently, but just bookmarked it for reading again.

Date: October 28, 2014 03:44PM

crathes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably the best reference is the new paper that
> Grant Palmer has written for the John Whitmer
> Historical Journal.

I'd be interested in an advance copy!

BTW, check out my version of the wives of Joseph Smith infographic:

http://www.mormonisme.nl/2014/01/de-vrouwen-van-joseph-smith.html

Underlined names = actual photo
Red names = hanky panky

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 03:55PM by rt.

Date: October 28, 2014 04:24PM

Nice work...do you have an English version?

Date: October 28, 2014 04:49PM

Nope, I ripped off my version from this one in English:

http://www.mormoninfographics.com/2012/09/the-many-wives-of-joseph-smith.html

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 03:25PM

That list is longer than my list before I got married, and I thought I was a player.

Just sayin'...

Date: October 28, 2014 04:45PM

Interesting that this page on Mary Elizabeth Rollins Lightner is no longer available: http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/MLightner.html. I was reading it just last week, before the essay was released.

Date: October 28, 2014 04:50PM

I can still see it, interesting read, thanks for the link.

Date: October 28, 2014 04:57PM

Hmmm, must be something wrong on my end. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted by: La_Capa ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 06:31PM

So in Grant Palmer's essay it says that Fanny Alger and her family left Kirtland for Dublin, Indiana in September 1836 and by November was married to a man there. Has anyone ever looked in the census records to see if she had a child in May 1836 or earlier? As someone on this forum mentioned last week, she might have fled Kirtland due to pregnancy.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 06:40PM

If you can get a list of citizens in the towns where JS lived, (at the time slimy Joe lived there), just figure he screwed the female half of the citizenry above the age of 11. A list is not accurate because slimy Joe would have managed to have 2 or 3 behind the barn for every ONE on any list.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 08:26PM

verilyverily Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you can get a list of citizens in the towns
> where JS lived, (at the time slimy Joe lived
> there), just figure he screwed the female half of
> the citizenry above the age of 11. A list is not
> accurate because slimy Joe would have managed to
> have 2 or 3 behind the barn for every ONE on any
> list.

That is about what I was going to say; similarly, it would be easier to make a list of who he didn't.

His list of badness would be so bad he would not get a Christmas present until Easter.

Were he honest, he would have left a list for posterity.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:07PM

Wow

Well done Grant H. Palmer - excellent work!

Very nicely put together and presented. Also well written (i.e. the text doesn't get in the way).

I may be an idiot (and it's late here), but the Miss Hill story was not familiar to me. I think I'd have remembered it because of Emma's endorsement of it.

Or is it there hiding in one (or several) of Steve Benson's posts and I just must have skipped it ;-)

Tom in Paris

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 09:29PM

I wonder sometimes how many STDs JS had when he died.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.