Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 11:39AM

How can LDS counselors in good professional conscience consider a sexual predator their prophet?

They can go to church on Sunday and sing "Praise to The Man" and on Monday possibly help a criminal sexual predator's psychology?

They can think Joseph Smith was righteous in using a threat of losing eternal salvation for The Kimballs yet use all of their psychological training to help a sexual predator see the error of their ways?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 12:55PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Robert Hall the Photo God ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 12:26PM

YOu look at his good works, not the girls he molested.

In reality their age takes them out of 'child molestation' and puts him into the general 'sexual predator' catagory.

What makes him worse is the groooming of young girls in his own home even tho he waited until they were mid teens to go after them.

Big question is Did he go after his own daughters?

Date: October 28, 2014 12:43PM

Robert Hall the Photo God Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Big question is Did he go after his own daughters?

This is interesting...but the source is an apostate of Mormonism.

"At the time, Fanny was living in the Smith home, perhaps helping Emma with house work and the children. Ann Eliza Webb recalls, “Mrs. Smith had an adopted daughter, a very pretty, pleasing young girl, about seventeen years old. She was extremely fond of her; no mother could be more devoted, and their affection for each other was a constant object of remark, so absorbing and genuine did it seem”.

Joseph kept his marriage to Fanny out of the view of the public, and his wife Emma. Chauncey Webb recounts Emma’s later discovery of the relationship: “Emma was furious, and drove the girl, who was unable to conceal the consequences of her celestial relation with the prophet, out of her house”. Ann Eliza again recalls: “...it was felt that [Emma] certainly must have had some very good reason for her action. By degrees it became whispered about that Joseph’s love for his adopted daughter was by no means a paternal affection, and his wife, discovering the fact, at once took measures to place the girl beyond his reach...Since Emma refused decidedly to allow her to remain in her house...my mother offered to take her until she could be sent to her relatives...” "
http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/02-FannyAlger.htm

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 12:52PM

The Lawrence sisters were his foster daughters. Not only did he get in their pants, but he also stole their $8,000 in English gold (over $200k in today's money).

I also want to agree with the "sexual predator" idea vs. pedophile. Helen Mar Kimball was three months short of 15 and was involved with a 19-year-old boy.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 03:43PM

Do you think Joe helped out his housemaids take a bath ? Then later thinking... JS thought I should start making up this spiritual wifery stuff that I've heard about in the North East and start getting it on with my housemaids

Date: October 28, 2014 04:22PM

Sounds plausible to me.

What I can't understand is how living LDS counselors could help people with the same inclinations as Joseph Smith and not see him as a person with a problem?

So an angel is a good enough reason for Joseph Smith but not for John Doe?

How does one compartmentalize that? It isn't like it is Father Abraham thousands of years ago. It was when psychology was starting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_psychology#Transition_to_contemporary_psychology

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:07AM

Seriously! If someone went to an LDS counselor and claimed the same things Joseph Smith did (angels, 14 yo marriages, rock in hat, etc) they would have pronounced that person clinically insane.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 04:43PM

Maybe girls are sexually mature at 14, but they are not ready for a mature relationship with a 30-something man. He was a statutory rapist, as a 14 year old cannot give consent to sex.

Date: October 28, 2014 05:27PM

axeldc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He was a statutory rapist, as a
> 14 year old cannot give consent to sex.

I agree. And the kicker? He got parental consent.

Date: October 29, 2014 01:05AM

Actually, that's funny because it was probably easier to convince the parents than the child. Kids usually seem to get it until the parents brainwash them.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 04:35PM

Not too complicated when you consider who is paying their paycheck.

Picture a young professional psychologist who works for the church-cult, a few years pass and, perhaps he sees the essays and looks further, realizes what Joseph was.

He is married, has a young family, a mortgage, lots of bills from getting his education. It sounds easy and taking the noble road to walk away from his security, but there is a lot that implies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 04:36PM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: October 28, 2014 04:39PM

How disappointing. It would be like going for counseling for racially motivated hate crimes to a person who believed in a form of religious racism.

Posted by: greybeard ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 09:57PM

“…deception and prevarication are intrinsic to the principles of psychiatry, and fraud and force are intrinsic to its practices.”--Dr Tomas Szasz, professor emritus of State University of New York Upstate Medical University

Fits right in with the Plan of Salvation

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 11:51PM

Programming trumps a conscience.

Date: October 29, 2014 01:02AM

No joke. With all that psychological knowledge, you would think that the counselors would pick up on the tell tale signs that JS was pretty messed up in the head. The highly educated Mormons are the ones that seem to stick their head in the sand the most. Which in turn makes debates with them nearly impossible.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:09AM

I had sex with my fiancee in 1979. The Mormons still haven't gotten over it. How can that be? Apparently I should have been born a male in the 1800's. I'd now be one of their idols with statues all over the world for people to adore. This is one sick religion.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:12AM

They've accepted a narrative in which he was NOT a predator. In that sense, they do not accept a predator as a prophet. If they accepted a different narrative, in which he was just another pervert preying on vulnerable women and girls, they wouldn't consider him a prophet.

There's a lot wrong with Mormonism, and it does a lot of damage to individual psyches, but I do not believe that individual believers are so depraved that they would simultaneously accept the reality that a person was a sexual predator AND at the same time revere him as a prophet.

Posted by: Anon for This One ( )
Date: October 29, 2014 01:34AM

Like all "good" Mormons, they believe the saintly picture of JS that is spoon-fed to them from infancy on. Yes, they know he practiced polygamy, but that was OK, because it was believed at that time that God had told them to do so.

They don't know that JS was a pervert and a pedophile. If you tried to tell them about it, either they would reject it outright, or it would start severe cog-dis whirling in their heads.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.