Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 01:49PM

http://www.trouw.nl/tr/nl/5091/Religie/article/detail/3776853/2014/10/27/Mormonenkerk-grondlegger-was-polygaam-met-tienermeisje.dhtml

In the religion section of one of the major newspapers in the Netherlands is a pretty snippy article about the plyg essay.

It is written in quite a critical tone actually. It makes me giggle with delight.

They can no longer hide....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 02:03PM

This is wonderful news! Dit is geweldig nieuws!

Also, digging the pic carried with the story, of Joseph Smith?(scroll down):

http://www.trouw.nl/tr/nl/5091/Religie/article/detail/3776853/2014/10/27/Mormonenkerk-grondlegger-was-polygaam-met-tienermeisje.dhtml

Since the pic on the left, the blonde, handsome Aryan Smith, is what they try and tell the Utah Mormons he looked like, as compared to what he DID apparently look like, on the right

http://s281.photobucket.com/user/jeffotron/media/hagio.jpg.html

Or as he actually looked, according to someone who knew him very well:

http://olivercowdery.com/smithhome/Sthumb07a.jpg

Date: October 27, 2014 02:50PM

I know!

It is almost as creepy as the white, blonde Jesus they keep hanging on their walls..

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 02:07PM

I have a friend whose son is serving in the Netherlands right now. This will give me a chance to ask her how he's doing and introduce the essay to her, if she's ignoring it. I'll bet he's having fun with it right now.

Date: October 27, 2014 02:40PM

The header reads:

Mormonchurch founder was polygamous with teenaged girls.

After over a century and a half of silence, the mormon chuch admits: Prophet and founder Joseph Smith had multiple wives. At least one of whom was a 15 year old girl.
(yes I know they got that wrong)
-----

Smith is the pillar of the mormon faith. The revelations he recieved in the 19th century, are of equal importance as the old and new testament to the mormons.

Members of the mormon chuch called rumours of Smith's multiple marriages nonsense for a long time, but the church now seems to realize that denying it is no longer possible.
This recognition stands in sharp contrast with the churchs' past attitude. In the past mormons who openly spoke about polygamy were reprimanded and in 19993 a church historian was kicked out of the church for publicing about it. (a link to wikipedia about Micheal Quinn and the september 6 is provided here)

---

Smith didn't do anything wrong by marrying teen brides, the church states, because at that time it was legal to marry at such a young age. Polygamy was however not legal, and the church was well aware of that.
It spent many years fighting legislation on the subject.
---

I can't stop grinning!..

Ha!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 03:51PM by Becca.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 02:42PM

Not fluent in Dutch, but the Mormons are truly in Dutch.....if you know what that means.

Does Mormonenkerk = Mormon jerk?

Date: October 27, 2014 02:47PM

LOL!!!

I translated a few parts for you. \(well really quickly so the grammar might be a bit off.. didn't have/take time to think about it much. Sorry)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 02:52PM by Becca.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 03:36PM

As it should.

To be clear I know Danish isn't Dutch, and am not sure how active Mormon missionaries were in the 1830's to 1860's in The Netherlands, but here is an example of what they did in a nearby country.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,967974,968152#msg-968152

The Mormon church may have been a way out of poverty in Europe and into opportunity in the United States. It may have been even used as a courier, but often it targeted young women in desperate circumstances and used deception to snare them from family and home.

These stories need to be told again in the era of the Internet. Polygamy was dark, very, very dark.

Apparently shameful to the Mormon leaders at some point even though it remains an Eternal Principle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 04:49PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 03:42PM

The Morg is not doing well over there. The Dutch are too liberal minded.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.