Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 03:33PM

Folks, how can a TBM look you in the eye and explain why God would overburden Joseph with the excess weight of the gold pages which were unreadable?

Poor HJ barely escaped with his life running through the woods with 200+ pounds of gold tucked under his arm.

2/3rds of which was useless excess weight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 03:43PM

It was merely a simple test of faith similar to the flaming sword or Abraham murdering his son. Our Heavenly Father does these things to test our obedience to Him. I leave with my testimony that President Monsoon is the profit, sears, and revelator. In the name of the guy whom we ignore the most, amen.

Posted by: miner_8 ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 04:14PM

The angel could just as much have just put the knowledge of the scriptures in Joe's head. This would have involved moving around a fraction of a gram of neurons into a pattern that produced a memory of the entire book. I guess that would be too simple.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 04:15PM

Pretty funny when you really think about it. Joseph had God add the extra heavy sealed portion just to show that he was rich in the gold plate arena?

Joe didn't stop to think of some of these peculiarities in his story, did he? The more "out there" they were, the more colorful (you know like the sword had to be a "flaming" sword), the more Joe seemed to like them.

He just adored those cotch-ya' moments, such as: The angel entered his bedroom three times, one wouldn't be nearly enough. He added drama to using a seer stone by adding peering at it with his face stuck in a hat. Even his family liked his tall tales and gathered round to listen, and I think we all know that families can be about as critical an audience to a sibling as it can get.

Joe, the bigger-than-life-narcissist, who enjoyed every minute of the con-game where he was the center of attention until this sought after attention cost him his life.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 04:19PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 05:00PM

And seriously, how can the BoM be the most correct book on earth if it's only 1/3 of the whole? How can it contain the fullness of the gospel when 2/3 remain unknown?

BS meter pegged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 05:00PM by moose.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 05:02PM

Why do you think he came up with the sealed plates idea? Was it just to reserve space for future writing that he was planning to do?

Kind of an ongoing series?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 05:22PM

I think it was that. He wanted to be able to add to his book if he felt like it and he wanted to have that to hold over the members heads - "if you are good, God will tell me more of his secrets but if you are naughty, we will never get to hear the rest of the tale."

Date: October 26, 2014 05:08PM

HJ as Harry Potter: "The Prequel".

Too bad the series never played out .....thus we'll never know what more majic was up his sleeve.

Posted by: rogue ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 05:26PM

Don't forget that two-thirds of the rock in the hat was sealed. It will only be revealed when someone comes forward who can skip it across holy water for exactly 25 skips and a bounce.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 06:10PM

Yes, the history of the Jaredites and the Nephites/Lamanites as well what Christ (on his post-'wiping out the cities' tour) taught to the faithful masses who knew a whole bunch about him by name before he even showed up. Seems fairly complete to me. Anywhoo, it seemed JS used the "An angel took them back to Heaven" schtick, so he had to use "revelations" to bring forth the New and Everlasting stuf, that you kinda figure might been in the sealed portion anyway.

Although I'm thinking the Sealed Portion contains the fullness of the recipes for Curelom stew and Cumom chili...

Date: October 26, 2014 09:18PM

me thinketh thine thinking is right

and tight

......like unto a dish

most delish!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 09:34PM by Shummy.

Date: October 26, 2014 10:34PM

Many here have heard of that fanatic Mormon dickhead who has gone ballistic on a supposed modern day revelation of the sealed portion......

And for our conveniece, the 116 missing pages are tossed in as a bonus!

For inquiring minds who wanna know.... what did Lucy know?

http://mormonmatters.org/2009/09/13/have-you-read-the-sealed-portion-of-the-book-of-mormon-yet/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.