Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: holytaco ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 11:39AM

his exit from the church. A shock. He was on the high counsel.

The facebook discussion is fascinating.

He lays out a number of reasons why the church isn't true,starting with starting with polygamy and delves deeply into each subject.

The responses vary - testimony bearing, confirmations of friendship despite his statements, etc etc.

But...two other distant family members chime in and admit that they too have lost testimony and that the polygamy essay was nail in the coffin.

I am sure that many mormons read the conversation.

The other two were very active, temple attending mormons with large families.

I think this recent essay has shaken the tree more than usual.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:06PM

+1

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:40PM

I've said all along, those TBMs that read it will more than likely be very uncomfortable. Sadly most won't come across it.

You'd think that such important clarifications of doctrine & church history would be highlghted at GC or from the pulpit in sacrament meeting etc but the reality is that while TSCC gives the impression that it wants (has been forced) to be more open, in reality it doesn't want to be open at all.

In fact they'd rather ensure that all members around the world are instructed not to take off Gs for yard work, than to gain a better more truthful awareness of fundamental events that underpin the restoration and the prophet they worship.

Shame on them for releasing an important essay, but not really releasing it.

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:55PM

The essays have a very narrow niche. They seem tailored to people who are smart enough to recognize problems with the church and who care enough about the truth to dig for information, but who are not smart enough to see through the transparent deception in the essays.

Based on these criteria, I'd estimate the potential target population for the essays to be about 2 (give or take a couple)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:50PM

I think its all like James Bond's Martini.

When the TBMs read the essay, some are going to be shaken (to the core) and some are going to be stirred (to feel even more faith.)

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 01:20PM

Fantastic!! Just hope there is no family fall out and shunning.

High Counsel man too! !!!! yay! lol

Imagine how many more others with doubts will be affected by this and they themselves start to feel confident to finally speak out too.

Posted by: nonutard ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 12:14PM

The essays give the TBM a reason to start digging on their own without as much guilt.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 12:32PM

I agree, especially if they were a TBM who has always believed that Smith was only married to Emma. Sorry to sound so duped, but I was raised believing that polygamy was a part of the pioneer experience and was instituted via Brigham Young to take care of widows and children.

That was what I was taught. My teachers may have been duped by their parents and instructors, but that doesn't make it any less real. This was our perspective.

It is amazing how many TBM's will say "hey I knew that all along" or "we discussed this stuff at the dinner table" or "my mission brought out all that 'anti-mormon' information."

I read these essays to my wife and she was blown away to finally see it on the church website instead of some "anti-mormon" website.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 01:32PM

Excellent!

Posted by: anon720184 ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 01:47PM

anyway you could copy/paste the comments? I'm intrigued

Posted by: holytaco ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 03:27PM

would give me away.

Posted by: Lillium/NLI ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 03:30PM

A short blurb about it was just posted in the Idaho Statesman online. Maybe more members will see it than you thought.

Posted by: surroundednjudged ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 10:16PM

Can you link to this article please?

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 10:26PM

It's been up for hours but only one comment. But it shows updated every 10 minutes or so. I have a feeling the moderators are deleting comments.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/10/24/3446385/mormon-founder-had-teen-bride.html?sp=/99/101/531/

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 02:01PM

There are a handful of comments this morning, all from "anti's" none from apologists yet.

My favorite comment so far: "The two brashest, boldest and most persuasive liars of all time are Joseph Smith and the "virgin" Mary."

ROFL

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 04:43PM

My younger brother is out. He lost his testimony by reading things like Professor Bushman's biography of Joseph Smith, as well as other books by serious historians.

The lies and spin will only work for so long.

Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 05:14PM

The church stated in an article I read yesterday that the info in these new essays will become incorporated into the standard curriculum for the new Sunday School/RS/ Priesthood manuals coming out. I posted that here on this board somewhere.

I say "GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!" That is how the Reorg's fell. They are gone, gone, gone for good!

They begin to have OPEN discussions in church about JS, polygamy, polyandry, all of it, and would have outright debates about it all.

Finally they just threw in the towel and shut down their church. Half of them went with "Church of Christ", and the rest are here. there, and everywhere! The Mormons are next if they keep telling the truth.

Date: October 24, 2014 06:07PM

"The church stated in an article I read yesterday that the info in these new essays will become incorporated into the standard curriculum for the new Sunday School/RS/ Priesthood manuals coming out."

Please provide the link... unless I can find it in your other post... hopefully not a needle in the haystack :).

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 05:11PM

Hopefully he will lead others out.

Posted by: Holy taco ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 05:41PM

Well respected man. His statements will reach hundreds or even more and cause a serious disturbance in the force.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 05:18PM

Soon most TBMs will know someone who has left and flourished. When they hear these family and friends disparaged as Judas, TBMs think "but my sister, friend, dad isn't like that". Life outside the morg begins to look better and better.

The cement that held up the wall is crumbling and the bricks are falling out.

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 06:21PM

caedmon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Soon most TBMs will know someone who has left and
> flourished.

This is crucial. In individualistic cultures like those that dominate in North America, it's common to overlook and even deny the power of social influence.

I suspect that knowing a likable ex-Mormon, especially a likable ex-Mormon who is flourishing, increases the chances that a TBM will open his or her mind to the problems in LDS doctrine.

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 07:51PM

The two authors of Mormon Enigma (one of them my sister) would seem to be vindicated. They were banned from speaking in any church meetings, firesides, etc due to the information they found and published about Joseph's polygamous activities.

Of course, the book fleshes out the information much more in detail that the essay does. I'm wondering when the church will issue an apology to them.

Not holding my breath.

Date: October 24, 2014 08:27PM

Great book - loved it. So sorry for the treatment they (and other well-meaning historians) received.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 12:26PM

Excellent book and one every Mormon should have in their library if they want to know their history.

This is the challenge I have with TSCC... They deny truth until they can't deny any longer then they spin it. Even know these essays don't address major issues and use double talk to express truth.

Who does that? Sounds more like the "father of all lies" than father in heaven.

Shame on every leader since Joseph Smith that has lied to members who are trying to exercise some sense of spirituality in their lives.

Posted by: oppolo ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 06:02PM

I went to Amazon to buy this book but there is more than one. Which one do you recommend? Anyone can answer this for me. I can't wait to read it :-)

Date: October 25, 2014 07:05PM

This is the latest edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Mormon-Enigma-Emma-Hale-Smith/dp/0252062914/

From what I remember reading in the foreword, this edition removed some content that was present in the earlier editions which depended upon Mark Hofmann's forgeries.

Posted by: oppolo ( )
Date: October 26, 2014 12:01PM

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 02:59PM

The more I read about the history and the more essays come out the more I am convinced the leaders know it is all a lie. Therefore the more I believe they do not believe in God.

If they believe in God, then they could not continue with the lies and deception. They could not white-wash the truth. One who truly believes in God would be scared to death of dying, knowing the wrath God that will be brought down upon them.

So either they believe, but money and power is who they worship.

Or either they don't believe, and money and power is their god.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 03:23PM

Nice to hear that more previous deluded cult-members have broken free from the prison that bound them.

I am sure you are very happy to have these family members find the truth. I am happy, also, for them and you, and your sharing keeps the flame alive that this might happen among my family.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 04:17PM

That's great news! May they be the catalyst for many more setting themselves free.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.