Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: optional2 ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 11:24PM

I like to read how people recover in other groups as in this one (TSCC) that we have been duped by.

Found an article online about a past seminar in London, by Steve Hassan addressing "undoing un-due influence";

Mr Hassan mentioned the importance of people getting together sharing their experiences and support like you all do here.

Found some of his videos at you tube. especially liked his talk at the 2008 exmormon foundation. "Breaking the Bonds".

Are their Ex-mo groups that announce their meet-ups here? as on other boards?

Since TSCC has reading materials that indoctrinate people; Are there reading materials people have found helpful in learning skills, understanding lived ones that are still deluded, whatever helps.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone hear know of recommended reading that might help people

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 11:30PM

I've really enjoyed the Mormon Stories Podcast (http://mormonstories.org/). My favorite interviews include:

Brent Metcalfe
Christine Jeppsen Clark
Sandra Tanner
Jeremy Runnells

I've listened to tons more...

For me, it has also helped to read more up on the issues so I was aware of the issues and could clearly explain it to myself and others. I'm not sure if this is your thing or not though...

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 01:51AM

I really enjoyed Sandra Tanner on Mormon Stories. Not a mean -spirited bone in her body, but went after truth with a vengeance.

Date: October 24, 2014 11:50AM

Yes, Thank you. :-)

Grant Palmer's video at YouTube: My Ah Ha Moments was the first video we found after leaving. The news article about "How the Mormon's Make Money" was what broke our shelf.

Maybe my question should be what helps with overcoming the pain
Of being manipulated by TSCC after you have left?

Was wondering about information about facing and overcoming fear,
Learning skills to build or repair sell esteem or confidence.

Information to understand and heal emotional pain or learn healthy relationship skills.

Date: October 24, 2014 12:06PM

Where does one get information on the stages of grief?

One book that I liked in the past by Dale Carnegie
"How make friends and influence People".

Has helpful information for learning communication skills.
If I remember correctly, this book was used to train sales people in the past.

Posted by: COPPER, not logged in ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 11:58AM

Posted by: COPPER, not logged in ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:00PM

COPPER, not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.recoveringagency.com/

Recovering Agency by Luna Lindsey....I am hearing a lot of good about this book.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:06PM

There's two aspects you have to work on: Undoing the myths and Understanding how they manipulated you into believing the myths.

For the first one, I read everything I could on Church History. The classics are Rough Stone Rolling, No Man knows my History, Mormon Enigma, Plural Marriage in Nauvoo by George D. Smith and all of Michael Quinn's books. I've also watched a lot of Dan Vogel's videos. Understanding how Joseph Smith assembled the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham also is important, as well as having a little understanding of how the Corporate structure of the Church works today.

For the second, there's a great book on the subject http://www.amazon.com/Recovering-Agency-Lifting-Mormon-Control/dp/1489595937

Steve Hassan's books are also important.

You've got to exorcise all the demons mormonism placed inside your head and the only way to do that is to examine them one by one.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 01:13PM

+1

I am reading Recovering Agency, right now.... very good. Highly recommend it...

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 05:38PM

Good, more to add to the list.
Thanks!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:24PM

Christian Science, which I was brought up in, is also a KJV-only cult. I started reading the New Testament in a modern translation, which helped me see things in a fresh way, and was thus a part of my de-programming.

I strongly endorse the ESV Study Bible. Excellent historical, linguistic, and doctrinal notes. Consider starting with Luke's gospel, the most thorough coverage with a good mix of Christ's teachings, his interaction with the outliers (gentiles, lepers, etc.) and parables.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:59PM

The book that did me the most good was called, Co-dependent No More. It was like looking in a mirror and seeing all the unhealthy behaviors that I had picked up from a life in the church.

It's easier to make changes when you can clearly see what needs to be changed.

Other than that I'm not much on self help books. Most are just a lot of cute phrases that sound good.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 01:23PM

The mormon stories episode about the Book of Mormon by well known scientist Dr. Micheal Coe is great. He basically says there is absolutely no evidence for the B of M and even says most BYU scholars agree. Like all good science, he has no axe to grind or hidden agenda, but he does understand the implications for LDS Inc. For me, this podcast put an end to any delusional hopes I had that "the Church" was anything more than LDS Inc.

http://mormonstories.org/michael-coe-an-outsiders-view-of-book-of-mormon-archaeology/

Date: October 24, 2014 03:41PM

Thanks, will check them out.

Science news site that I like: Reports on Research news.
http://www.sciencedaily.com

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 10:26PM

List of authors:
Brodie
Quinn
Palmer
Bushman

Discovering the absurdity of it all is quite therapeutic.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 12:49AM

When you leave, people don't always play nice.

I recognized many of the techniques people use to put you on the defensive, make you feel unworthy, or doubt your own judgement and accept their version of reality. You need to understand how to deal with that stuff after you leave the church.

Patricia Evans is a good author on abuse.

Date: October 25, 2014 09:19AM

+1 Thanks for bringing this up! It helps us move on when we find ways of understanding, claiming our authentic self and healing from our wounds. Reaching back to help others gives us hope too.

Thank you all!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.