Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NoNoNazi ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 09:21PM

Went to the in the 80's.

Were you supposed to slash your own throat for talking about the endowment? Or what?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 09:29PM

It started out as a warning of what other people would do to you. Originally, as I understand it, the "other people" were the authorities, and the Great Secret was the identities of other members of the group as well as the passwords and secret handshakes. Some groups turned this on its head, to where the other members of the group were tasked with enforcing the code. Blood atonement and all that.

I don't think anybody ever expected temple Mormons to slash their own throats, but I could be wrong. I never cease to be amazed by what Mormons can get up to.

Date: October 23, 2014 09:59PM

Makes me nauseous. Done in the "House of the Lord".

I used to have to have a few drinks whenever I thought about.

Thank God I have a good therapist! She just shakes her head in disbelief most of the time!

I still need to go through some deprogramming and this site helps me a lot.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 10:09PM

It meant that you would be willing to have it done to you.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 10:29PM

"I would suffer my life to be taken." What does that sound like to you?

Posted by: NoNoNaziK ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 10:34PM

Well, since "I" am making the motion to slash "MY" throat, i believed it meant suicide.

Date: October 23, 2014 11:08PM

Suffer - tolerate.
synonyms: tolerate, put up with, bear, stand, abide, endure;

Suffer my life TO BE TAKEN, not to take. The throat slashing represented how not who.

The problem lies in the fact that there was never any explanation given to any of us about any of the goings on in the temple. It was indeed all left to our own interpretation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 11:14PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 10:41AM

This is one of my the reasons I always felt so depressed in the temple. I had made this oath that I would suffer my life to be taken when I knew damn well I had lied to God. I was sure that if someone had a knife to my throat and said "tell me the password or you die," I would immediately start screaming "health in the navel, marrow in the bones..." I thought I must have been the only one who knew that because it never seemed to bother anyone else.

Where was my brain?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 10:44PM

I was just a bit past 17 (read, I was 18), It scared the shit out of me. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My parents, inlaws to be, aunts, uncles, and soon to be husband didn't seem to have a problem with it, why should I? After all, it was my wedding day. I was hundreds of miles from home. No place to go, nobody to call. If i'd of run, I would have paid dearly for the rest of my life. I did what I was told. I did realize i'd never known any mormons who'd slit their throats or had them slit. Either nobody talked, or nobody killed them if they did. I instantly decided the whole thing was a load of BS.

I got divorced 24 months later.

Date: October 23, 2014 10:58PM

You're rather lucky you got out early!

I was going on my mission. I had my family there. Went to the live session in Salt Lake City.

I'm so glad my nephews and nieces that are TBMs don't have to be terrorized like we were.

Even more happy for my nieces and nephews that are not TBMs.

Posted by: mags ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 09:58AM

Talk about dissonance, I'm in therapy now partly because when I

went through the temple for the first time in the sixties I had a

serious break trying to equate what I saw going on in the temple

with the routine services that I experienced every Sunday.

I never did talk about it, not out of devotion but out of fear.

What kind of religion teaches you to live your life in fear,

secrecy, and distrust of all those around you.

Hearing people tell me what a spiritual experience the temple was

only added to my total mental confusion. All I could think of

was "Are you kidding me!" I was so traumatized that I still

haven't been able to talk about it with my therapist. Coming

here is helping.

Posted by: Mags ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 10:42AM

I so relate to your story as it was just like mine except I had

no one there to support me. None of my family nor were his, at

our wedding. You said exactly what I experienced "I did as I was

told" and I would have run if I had a place to go but, like you,I

knew if I walked out in the middle, I would never be forgiven in

this life or the next.

Posted by: mags ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 10:44AM

The second message I wrote was supposed to be directed to

Madalice.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 11:08PM

The original version of the "penalty" required the person to say, in effect, "If I should reveal the 1st/2nd token of the A/M priesthood, with its name, sign and penalty, I agree to have my throat slit" etc.

In the early 1930s the wording was changed to say, in effect, "Rather than reveal the [etc.] I would suffer my life to be taken."

Notice the fundamental difference. In the original version, the implication is that the person revealing the secrets would be punished by being killed. In the revised version, the person is saying that he would not reveal the secrets, even if the evil person wanting the secrets were to kill him.

Notice, too, that the original version is worded as a "penalty," a punishment for doing something wrong. The revised version is not a penalty, but a promise to endure death rather than reveal. That promise is not, technically, a "penalty." But it was still called that.

Have you ever wondered why there were only three penalties? (The 2nd token of the M Priesthood had no specific penalty.) It's because (in my opinion) the Masons had only three penalties, one for each degree of Masonry. Joseph didn't have enough imagination to think up another penalty.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 04:36AM

That's an important distinction regarding "rather than do so...." I always understood it as a promise not to reveal the information even if threatened with death. That it was still called a penalty is just one more seeming absurdity (of many)that now appears to make sense.

Date: October 24, 2014 04:32PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 04:32PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 08:43AM

Whatever it was supposed to mean, I think we can all agree that it was somehow both sophomoric and creepy, it only took them about 150 years to figure this out.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:01PM

Yeah, since it's ripped off from masonry, it's a promise that the other masons can take you out (and not for coffee) for revealing secrets of the brotherhood.

Secret society? Hmmmm, I think there's a little something about that in the BoM. Funny how TSCC has so much stuff that sooooo directly contradictory...

Date: October 24, 2014 12:32PM

How many times did I sit in a Book of Mormon class and hear about

the evils of "secret combinations" You nailed it.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:38PM

1984 St George Temple...at the time, I took it as that I would be willing to have that done to me, but also my bowels slashed open, and something else?? - anyway, this is a true blue cult, so I suspect that if needed, the leaders could/would spin it anyway they want to at a moments notice to meet the needs of the cult..highly unlikely, but the fact that the ritual is ambiguous lead me to wonder if the ambiguity is on purpose.

Question: Is there a time when the GA's used temple language in recent history to motivate the morgbot masses?

Answer: Yes, Prop 8, and many of the obediant idiotic morgbots morgaged their homes to support.

Date: October 24, 2014 01:07PM

I will never forget hearing about a woman in sacramento who

obediently donated $50,000.00 towards Prop 8. All of her money

saved for her children's college funds.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 03:50PM

Still can't quite wrap my head around that one....don't know if it ever got carried out here in S. Alberta....but I wouldn't doubt it happening in Raymond. Magrath or Cardston...some crazy m'fin' Mormons there.

Ron Burr

Date: October 24, 2014 04:21PM

No I don't think it did in southern Alberta even less in Northern

Alberta.I was going back and forth right at that time and Most of

the money came from California and Utah. I do know that the

leaders actually went into the members homes. Even though I have

a gay son, my sister told me that since I was a member I was

obliged to pay. I just said. I can fix that and sent in my

letter

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.