Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 03:44PM

In earlier days the story on the LDS essays and other changes in the LDS church would have commanded front page space and reporting. It would not have been left to just Peggy fletcher Stack's faith column.

I remember big articles on the mormon non-mormon divide in Utah. Also big extensive articles on polygamy in Utah which showed the blood lines of the Kingston polygamy group.

The Trib used to not be afraid to tell it like it is. In a religion dominated state like Utah that lack of forthrightness and openness is now sadly missing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 04:52PM

Yeah, well, seeing that the Trib & the D-News have merged, with the D-News having the upper hand, expect more D-News/Ensign type fluff. They've banned many online commenters that are not pro-Mormon. Their credibility is waning. I'm betting they're being influenced by the old guys in the COB. It's become a shell of its former self. Freaking cult.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 06:53PM

Hmm...I haven't seen anyone banned for not being pro-Mormon. I spend a lot of time in social circles of people who post in the comment section in the tribune. Of the 20 or so that I know personally, only one is pro-Mormon and none of us have been banned.

Over the past two years (maybe three?) they have started censoring comments that are highly critical of Mormonism, but I haven't seen any evidence of people banned on that front. The old moderator was a great guy, non-LDS and pretty outgoing. The new moderator is definitely Mormon, but I don't think they are deleting strong comments against Mormonism because they are being influenced by the COB, rather, because they don't have the manpower to field the amount of reports they receive every time someone makes fun of garments. Instead of investigating each comment, they just delete them all.

Date: October 23, 2014 07:01PM

Tell that to Sally Tomato & SkierJim.

Date: October 23, 2014 07:18PM

I don't know the story about Sally Tomato. She hasn't posted in a month, but I haven't heard anything about her being banned. SkierJim posted a day ago, so there is no way he could be banned.

https://disqus.com/home/user/skierjim7
https://disqus.com/home/user/sallietomato

Date: October 23, 2014 07:41PM

If you'd follow that thread, you'll see where it's the only thread I could post on. Got banned last week.

Date: October 23, 2014 07:42PM

I'm sorry to hear that you got banned. I don't see a thread from last week though.

Are you Sally Tomato? Nice to meet you.

Edit: Or SkierJim? Now I'm not sure.

Edit 2: Ahh, now I see. That is really weird.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 07:44PM by snb.

Date: October 23, 2014 08:27PM

SJB . Good to meet you as well. Just got word. Banned til 11/15. Used a lot of truths that I learned from RfM. They sometimes don't like cold hard facts.

Posted by: StillAnonn ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 08:29PM

SJ7. Sorry. Auto correct.

Posted by: girlofthesea ( )
Date: November 09, 2014 04:35PM

skier~I was "Blacklisted" by the Tribune shortly after you, Sally and Utah Dave were banned. I've been posting comments over at the Standard-Examiner. I also stuffed a few comments in marshmallows and they were approved and posted on the Deseret News. (Utah Gun Laws)
I've also commented on the Pat Bagley Facebook page. Free Speech lives there!! Lots of good people, and a number of whom were also banned.

Stink stopped posting on the Tribune after they banned you and Sally. He has commented on the Examiner, but he has commented that he will probably return to the Tribune once you are reinstated on the 15th. Your comments are always great. I wish you the best, and you will always have invisible up votes from me.

I've sent messages for Sally through the grapevine. I hope she has received a few of them.

girlofthesea205@gmail.com

Date: November 09, 2014 05:00PM

Hey. Yes, heard about Stink's self exile. I appreciate his support & solidary. Funny part is, most of the stuff I posted that was deemed "anti- mormon bigotry" was proved correct in the latest polygamy essays.I hate the new layout, just another attempt by Terry Orme to kill the Trib. Orme knows who pays him & his loyalty is to them & not the readers, journalists or the idea of free press. Not sure how much I'll participate after my timeout. Thanks for your post.

Date: November 09, 2014 09:11PM

Great to hear from you skier. My slam of Orme put me before the Tribune firing squad. My last words were "A fish rots from the head down." (writing directly about him.) Such a horrible person to be in the newspaper business for all the reasons you mentioned, plus more. Even if allowed back at the Tribune, my mind and spirit are repelled by the place, and like you, I'm not enthusiastic about being there.

Date: November 09, 2014 10:10PM

Stink did that? What a guy. Jim (Still Anon), you shouldn't have been banned. That is absurd. I'm glad you have folks who back you up though.

Date: November 09, 2014 10:24PM

Thanks. I think it's a losing battle, though. People that stand up for truth, honesty, facts and honor are not really appreciated by Trib leaders (nor LDS leaders). I see a systematic, conniving game plan to totally neuter the Trib. Starting with banning commenters that don't kowtow to the COB.
It sucks & should be a national outrage, but the fact is, most people in other states don't really care what happens in the Theocracy of Utah.

Date: November 11, 2014 08:08AM

Good Morning skier~

Yes, Stink is a great guy. It's been pretty lonesome over on the Examiner, but he and I have been doing the best we can. As usual, his comments are always wonderful, and have been highlighted. I know he would love to have you pop in over there to say hello. And if you want to comment, the Standard Examiner is a Disqus website, and you are free to post. To get to his comments, just Google "Disqus, Stink (I)" and your're right there. He just commented on a Romney article.

cic has just made his appearance, and may be commenting more on the SE. He says he thinks he will be banned any time now at the Trib. I travel, and I know what you're saying is true-people outside of Utah don't care about what is going on here. They just think it's all Gun Nuts, Mormons-Mormons are weird, and the religion is a cult. We always make the national and internation news for all the wrong reasons, like a bunch of ignorant hillbillies. I cringe everytime I have to say I live in Utah, but I also quickly say I'm not from Utah, and I'm not Mormon.

Best Regards,
girlofthesea~~~~

Posted by: AnonNemus ( )
Date: November 09, 2014 05:50PM

In the sense that most people here would define it. Like many newspapers in smaller markets, they jointly own an operations agency which runs the press and advertisements. The Trib and DNews are themselves owned by separate companies with completely distinct editors and agendas.

Frankly, I think they do more good by walking just on the other side of what most people in Utah would call openly antagonistic to the Morg, though I still know people who call it anti-mormon and your membership is questioned if you are caught reading it.

LOL

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 04:57PM

Also, the whole site is blue now. What's up with that?

Date: October 23, 2014 06:50PM

I rarely see Peggy Fletcher Stack pull any punches. As long as we are getting the truth, I couldn't care less whether it is in Peggy's column or written by someone else. Yes, Peggy has whitewashed some aspects of the LDS church before, but those instances have been the exception rather than the rule. Also, every time she has done it she has been excoriated in the comments section.

That being said, yes, the SL Trib has lost a lot of staff and with that it has lost a lot of its stronger journalistic aspects. That is sad and I miss it as well.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 09, 2014 09:44PM

Wasn't the Desert Rat news attempting a takeover recently?

Newspapers these days are vulnerable and up for grabs by any monster Murdock moneybags.

Jefferson and co are spinning in their tombs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.