Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: * ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 03:39PM

Since the movie MtM came out the week of GC the thought has crossed my mind "Why didn't they just show the dumb thing between sessions or even better, instead of one of the sessions?" The Red Cross charity thing, after all, is just a PR stunt that costs them peanuts.
I haven't seen it, but the movie is supposedly about six laudable members. And what is the point?
Is that what the GAs want members to look like now?
Is the movie more about trying to tutor morgbots how to be cool and relevant than showing the world how normal they are?
Is it a lesson on how to actually *be* normal? that they had to pay to see?
In my mind, the contrasting images of the morgbots sitting in the darkened conf center getting brainwashed to be better morgbots and then sitting in a darkened movie theater a few days later paying for the privilege of getting shown cinematic examples of what the GAs think interesting, praiseworthy (decidedly not morgbot) mormons look like seems kind of...cruel, not to mention a bit confusing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 03:45PM

They didn't show the movie between sessions of conference because they want members to buy tickets to help cover production costs, even though they used members' tithing to make the movie in the first place.

I saw the movie and it really was something that should have been shown between conference sessions. I'm sure that was the original plan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 03:55PM by want2bx.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 04:10PM

I think it is a way of laundering and moving money around for general authorities like David Bednar. Every time "Meet the Mormons" is shown in a theatre a royalty payment is made to someone in the top 15. Some of the GA's write books and now one of them makes a movie. The American Red Cross donation is just window dressing.

The director, Blair Treu,when interviewed called it a "Visitor Center" piece.
Why the church thought it would be a good idea to take it to mainstream theaters is anybody's guess.

Whatever the truth is, you can bet there is some funny business going on involving money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.