Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 01:14PM

Have you ever walked away from a conversation kicking yourself because you realize later on the really awesome thing you could've said?

Forgive me, all:

Yesterday my company had a short meeting with another company that from down in Hildale, UT. Hildale (I had completely forgotten) is a town with a high saturation of polygamists of the FLDS faith.

The conversation among the others began to be a condemnation of one Warren Jeffs for his having "a thing for little girls."

They kept handing me straight lines, and is just sat silent.

"Why would anyone follow a man who condoned/practiced..."
"I forget the little girl's name..."
"Compelling them to marry..."

Should I have just shouted at them? I get the whole, protecting your job thing, but the arrogance and the ignorance were astounding!

(Disclaimer, for people who missed it: warren Jeffs can burn in hell. I'm not defending him. People who abuse children should all be punished in poetic and diverse ways. My complaint is that my coworkers don't know or acknowledge that some of those crimes are, shall we say, glossed over?)

TL/DR: coworkers talking about evils of polygamists& marriages to 15 yr olds w/o seeing that the church did it too. I should've spoken up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:55PM

I think you did the right thing. I completely separate religion and politics from my workplace. I go to work to get paid, not convince anyone of my own viewpoints. The only exceptions are close friends who I happen to meet at work.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Photo God ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 03:08PM

So how would you punsish football player Adrian Peterson?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.