Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 11:18AM

I disbelieved people who told me a popular song was somewhat inspired by The Kansas City Royals.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/11/27/a-national-geographic-photo-inspired-pop-star-lorde-to-write-her-hit-royals/

I am also listening to this.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/your-deceptive-mind-a-scientific-guide-to-critical-thinking-skills.html

And in it the information is given that one need to expect coincidences based upon the fact that there are so many people in this world that they are bound to happen.

I feel like an idiot. I told people that someone from Downunder could not have been even a little bit by a baseball team from here.

I was wrong. I've become too skeptical I think because I was arrogantly ignorant in telling people here that I thought it was wishfull thinking on our part.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:12PM

"I've become too skeptical..."

No such thing :) That you were wrong doesn't mean you were "too skeptical," it simply means you spoke without bothering to do your research. That's got nothing to do with being skeptical.

The song itself isn't about the Kansas City Royals. Not even a little bit. It's interesting that an image she saw long ago stuck with her, and may have been part of the "inspiration" for her song, but she didn't write the song about the Kansas City Royals or George Brett.

If I could make a suggestion, use this experience not as an indication that you were "too skeptical," but as an indication that it's OK to admit when you don't know. And then if you want to find out, go do research. That's *always* better than making assumptions. :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:27PM

Thank you. very good advice.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:26PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you. very good advice.

You're very welcome.

Oh, and...go Giants! :)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:06PM

Another thumbs up here for The Great Courses.

I started my Great Courses experience with the Robert Greenberg ones on classical music which were truly wonderful: entertaining...funny...hugely and instantly comprehensible...and a spicy bit gossipy (about the classical composers---like what Beethoven was REALLY writing about when he composed some of the best known works). :D

I went on to ancient history ones...military history...really interesting math (they have courses from elementary school level through what is newest and most complex)...unbelievably interesting science ones.

I have been a Great Courses devotee for about twelve years now...and because of them, I am MUCH the richer in countless ways.

I wish they had existed when I was going to school. If so, I would have had absolute top scores on my SATs, etc.---and it would have ALSO made ALL of my school subjects far more personally rewarding.

Posted by: anon for this one ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 04:46PM

Pretty sure I am in love with you; I hope you are a man! Your words are so humble, sincere and honest. Touch my heart-

I love baseball as well! Go Kansas City, what a game that was last night!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.