Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 11:15PM

...and lived a mortal life until he passed all of the tests and became God, who was HIS God? Who created the world he lived in when he was human?

I've researched this wacky religion for way longer than I'd like to admit and I have never asked or heard this question.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: greengobbleyguck ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:04AM

It has not been preached before. It does make since god has a god and so forth over and over. The big bang had to come something. It's to much to wrap their mind around. Or maybe they ignore that one revelation or don't wanna preach ccause it far out there. Funny how the Greeks and Egyptians can create stories but Christians seem to start with a day 1 of earth. Can you imagine how far out the sermons would get...

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:07AM

Read the lyrics from If you could hie to Kolob...

But yeah you're not really getting that answered :). There is a good darkmatter youtube video on this subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODetOE6cbbc

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:13AM

He's afraid a three-generation god-swear would just be too popular for those times it really, really hurts.

But to be more than semi-serious about it I think most TBM's would just tell you that they don't know or possibly can't know.

What would even-more-advanced-than-God God would be like? Is it possible for a "mere human" like me to understand? I'm actually glad I wouldn't have to know now that I'm not buying it anymore because it seems like something that could get disturbingly repetitive if I got stuck on it. It's like that picture of Elohim and Jehovah where they look almost identical except that one's a little more like a Dad. If you start extrapolating further I hope you like bearded men who look scandinavian because that's my Mormonism-based theory of what you'll see.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:21AM

that fugger had mad potential.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:33AM

Isn't there a doctrine called "eternal progression?" If I have it right, Elohim will advance, or progress, or gain exaltation, to another level of glory, and HIS god has already progressed to a still higher level.

A savvy, articulate Mormon could explain it, but most can't I'm sure. To put myself in the shoes of that hypothetical savvy Mormon, I would say that there are levels of exaltation the details of which we can only speculate about, but knowing what little we have from BoM, D&C, Discourses, etc. we can be sure that they're out there and are attainable.

What I'd like answered is:

Of the 6-7 Billion people who have lived on this Earth so far, how many gain the CK? Of those who do, how many gain the highest CK level? Of those who get there, how many become actual gods themselves? Of those, how many get their own universe/star/planet/whatever? Of those who do get one, how many will manage to "evolve" (progress) to that next level?

The whole thing smacks of a MLM scheme! (Or scam. Whatever!)

Date: October 23, 2014 12:54AM

But if godhood is something we can aspire to and earn, that means it's not inherent in us. If at some point he was "not God," then when did he become a god? And when he wasn't god, who created him?

I mean, if we all lived with God before we were born, and we are trying to return to him, how does that all work out? Was that God's mission to? Or did he have another mission different from ours, because he lived under a bigger god than we do? I can't really articulate what I mean, but it feels a little like we're the ants in some little kids ant farm. He is our god, but he bowed down to his parents (or another god), who answers to their bosses/the gov't, etc...

But it still hasn't been answered- who created the being (once human, now God) known as Heavenly Father?

Date: October 23, 2014 12:58AM

And another god "begat" him--Elohim. So what became of Elohim's father, and where did he go? Mormons would be smart to just dismiss it, "a level or type of glory or existence the human mind can never know or conceive of, let alone measure and quantify."

But I think they'd just rather ignore the issue.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 06:51AM

Got has always been God. God has ways existed. God was once a man. You have always existed. There was no death until 6,000 years ago and that includes the dinosaurs. It is all made up.

Posted by: nonutard ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 03:05AM

So true... Im sure theres a DC movie somewhere in all of this. Steven King has nothing on this guy

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 07:44AM

I think Joseph Smith had an answer for that in the King Follett discourse. It was something about a ring curving back into itself. There is no beginning or end to a ring. This is circular logic, of course, but some CES types take that as a high compliment.

Any explanation of origins has a problem. If, for example, you say the Big Bang caused the universe, then what caused the Big Bang? Or what, if anything, existed before the Big Bang? And what caused that to exist? Eventually the scientist or theologian has to be honest and say they don't know. And when Mormon authorities say that, it's a rare moment of honesty.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 10:40AM

The King Follett discourse is a discourse that J.S. gave off the cuff using just a wedding band. But it delved into deeper territory than any other Christian religion had. It made the Adam/God theory possible. If I ever would again believe in God, this is the religion I would have to cling to, and so I would become a Mormon again because of this. I know, I know but it provides for the big bang, re-incarnation (of a sort), the multi-verses and string theory, etc...

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 08:00AM

Its like heavenly turtles all the way down.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (drunk) ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 03:28AM

It's just one turtle flying through space with four elephants on its back, and they support the world. Didn't you pay attention in Astronomy?

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 09:58AM

And did Heavenly Mother get along with Heavenly Grandfather?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 10:12AM

I asked that question when I was very young. My bishop father said "God does not want us to delve into the mysteries."

I heard that phrase a lot when I was young."

But, I delved. Thank goodness I delved.

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 11:14AM

It's a MLM scheme. If enough people under you become gods, you advance to the next level and get 30% of their take. Of course, you have to give 15% to your upline until you become a Black Diamond Distributor, then it's only 7%.

You remember about the rush of Second Anointings in the late 1800s? God was afraid that the end of the world was coming and he didn't have enough distributors under shim. It's like the NuSkin people who have to buy their own products on bad months.

Date: October 23, 2014 11:04PM

I had a very, very long day. Your post made me laugh and smile, especially considering I *just* posted a fb post today telling my friends if they are constantly posting their MLM bullshit on their person page I (and probably many of their other friends) have blocked them or deleted them from my feed. :)

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 11:22PM

Man is separate from God only in his imagination. Joseph had a wilder imagination than most. In imagining ourselves, we followed his lead until he turned out to be full of crap. Then we had to re-imagine ourselves.

Posted by: hfo ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 02:06AM

OP: "...and lived a mortal life until he passed all of the tests and became God, who was HIS God?"

About 15 years ago an elders quorum lesson said that Jesus inherited his godly attributes from his father.

I asked THE question: If Jesus got him from his father, then where did his father get them from? (and so on)

Well, the EQP got right up and told me that I shouldn't ask questions like that (presumably because they didn't have a correlated response to spit out).

At that moment I realized that they didn't care about truth or the pursuit of it, and that began my skipping of elders quorum, and eventually SS for the same reason.

So, thanks to the dumb correlation created manual, I was on my way out.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 02:16AM

It's the chicken and egg paradox. Which came first? There was always a father of the present god, and a father before that and a father before that etc. all living on Kolob!

Like hfo, nobody would bother to answer my questions and in fact I was disfellowed for asking. No more CULT for me.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 02:28AM

Not to worry.
You'll have all the answers in the next life.

Isn't that the most annoying response ever?

Posted by: Lost on a beach ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:07PM

So if you ask God a question, and don't like the answer, can you escalate the call to a manager, you know, someone over Him?

Me: I'd like to cancel rain during daylight hours and upgrade to the Camelot plan, please. Oh, and I'd like it to be free for the first six months.

God: If you'll just give me a moment to pull up your account . . . . yes, I see you've used our services for quite a while! Thank you for your continued patronage. I see you're currently on the terrestrial plan, and you'd like the Camelot added service? Unfortunatley, that's only available to folks on the telestial plan or higher.

Me: Sign me up for that then.

God: Unfortunatley, corporate policy is that the unworthy are ineligible for advancement. You had a series of impure thoughts dating back to that time at the skating rink when you were 12, you violate the optional Word of Wisdom by eating a bit too much, you didn't tithe on that dime you found when you were four, and

Me: Can I come down there and straighten this out? I'm sure there must be something we can do?

God: I'm on Kolob. My hands are tied.

Me: If you don't have the power to help me, let me speak to your supervisor.

God: Please hold.

God's God: This is Jehovah senior. How can I help you?

Me: God says I can't stop the rain. I've been with your operation for quite a while, and I'd like better service.

God's God: Yes, I see. You have been with us your whole life, but unfortunately, you don't measure up because God made you flawed. There is nothing we can do.

Me: So you're saying since your operation has only made one perfect person, the rest of us are sort of screwed here? How is your bad quality control my problem? Let me speak to your boss please.

God's God: My Heavenly Father has progressed to another plane and refuses all calls even mine. But I can transfer you to the SLC office. They rarely make sense, but they have answers for everything.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:34PM

His god is our grand-god...HIS god is our GREAT-grand-god...and so on. I've heard this discussed among TBM's before. Now, who was the first god? I believe JS and others thought about this problem and came up with the BS about eternal intelligences...we've always existed and some advanced intelligence somehow progressed to godhood on his own. Makes no sense, but that's part of obscure, stupid, hidden, disavowed Mormon doctrine.

Date: October 24, 2014 12:48PM

Properly speaking, esoteric teachings are mysterious and revealed only to people as they achieve worthiness (or gullibility). This is not unique to LDS, or even to religions, for that matter. A political policy may be esoteric, with a higher in-house ideology that is not publicly revealed, but shared only among certain insiders.

Your take, Chump, is that these higher (*ahem*) LDS metaphysics are super-secret and esoteric because...they haven't the slightest idea of where their doctrine takes them. Write on!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 12:58PM

It's religious Amway.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.