Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 03:49PM

Wow, it blows my mind how Peggy Fletcher Stack is never stuck for words...

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/1733664-155/plural-marriage-essay-smith-church-joseph

Cabdriver Confession. I checked out the comments section looking for some TBM trollish sorts to needle, but I think they're all making plans to move to Missouri or something...

I shouldn't be so naughty and spiteful, but it's kind of like sitting on a bar stool and arguing. It's a hard habit to break, and at one time in my life I had lots of practice.

I'll cut the Trib some slack because they are putting in a new software platform, and they do appear to be preserving the comments feature. Some are griping about past censorship, but I haven't encountered it. Time will tell.

If the Internet Mormonites show up, I hope people will report back with the best replies; that sort of comedy is way better than anything any of us--even Benson--can make up, and the humor is healing.

Carry on...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 03:59PM

At first I thought it was a baby with a bonnet on. I had to look at the enlarged version to see it was an old lady with no teeth and a bonnet on.

The Kimball picture looks like a man in drag. It looks like she has no boobs and i'm not sure what that is on her head.

I hope they look a bit better in the next life.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 04:08PM

Well now i gotta click

Date: October 22, 2014 04:30PM

I finally got the photo gallery to load, and it sure looks to me like they picked the pictures of those women in their dotage for a reason.

Compare them with the pictures of Joseph and Emma...

(have patience on the loading folks; the new software platform was only put on-line yesterday)

I see one TBM, "buzzards" is doing a predictable defense of the faith... BTW, isn't "buzzards" an entry in the Dictionary of Mormon Swearing?

He's claiming they were teaching about JS's polygamy in the seminary in the 1970's... Not having done seminary, I can't speak to that subject. Anyone else?

They make the same claim about Mountain Meadows, and I do have a copy of the textbook used in Utah history classes from the late 1950's until around 1970... No mention of MMM...

Lyin' for the Lord is alive and well.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 07:44PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's claiming they were teaching about JS's
> polygamy in the seminary in the 1970's... Not
> having done seminary, I can't speak to that
> subject. Anyone else?

Seminary, 1974-1978, every single morning. Never once missed a lesson.

Not a word was said about JS polygamy. Not once.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:04PM

Seminary and a handful of church history courses at BYU in the 90's...not a single mention of JS's polygamy. BYU professor mentioned all the women that were sealed to Joe after he died, but failed to mention that he was married to dozens while still living.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 06:58AM

SL Cabbie Wrote:

>
> He's claiming they were teaching about JS's
> polygamy in the seminary in the 1970's... Not
> having done seminary, I can't speak to that
> subject. Anyone else?

Yes, they were teaching about JS's polygamy un the 70's. But they were teaching it, as TSCC does today, as something of utmost beauty and spirituality and the ultimate in sacrifice for the men and the women. They were not teaching it as an outcome of the hormones of a bunch of randy old men who suddenly had hundreds of young women whe were their virtual sex slaves.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 05:58PM

The first picture of Kimball Martha McBride Knight Smith looks like Bob Newhart in drag!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 05:59PM by moose.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 04:19PM

I liked this comment (regarding the periodic release of these essays):

'For me, it's like: "You're still LDS? What if we release *this* clue? Still? How about THIS one?"'

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 05:15PM

"The same revelation that taught of plural marriage was part of a larger revelation given to Joseph Smith," it explains, "that marriage could last beyond death and that eternal marriage was essential to inheriting the fullness that God desires for his children."

Haha. Yes, church essay ghost writers, let's delve a little more into this "same revelation that taught of plural marriage." No??? Oh, C'mon, you brought it up.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 06:26PM

I was criticized and scorned for saying these very things about Joseph Smith in the 1970s. My father said I was speaking for the devil. Does the church speak for the devil now? Thanks, Dad, for being there. I really appreciate your honesty and support. Oh wait, you treated me like garbage when I was right, and you lied your ass off. Never mind the thanks, just keep your goddam mouth shut and FOAD.

Posted by: My Take ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 06:44PM

Dear Mormon Church:

Please publish an essay explaining why it took you 184 years to confess to Joseph Smith's polygamy.

A - An oversight?

B - Not really important information?

C - Though everyone knew anyway?

D - Afraid no one would be a Mormon if they knew Joseph Smith was such a gross lying lecher and sexual predator?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 07:11PM

E - The ex-mormons told everyone.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 07:45PM

thingsithink Wrote:
> E - The ex-mormons told everyone.

F - the truth isn't always useful :)

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 11:38PM

E, it's been online for decades on familysearch

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 07:56PM

Is this what you're talking about Cabby?

I saw it today....

smhttp://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/1733664-155/plural-marriage-essay-smith-church-josephith-church-joseph

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 08:24PM by saucie.

Date: October 22, 2014 08:27PM

They're up to over 560 now; there were maybe a dozen when I put a couple of posts in...

It's worth it to see the drubbing the faithful are taking with this one. Some have accused the Trib of bigotry when the story is written by a believing Mormon and reported from church sources.

Go figure...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 08:28PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: October 22, 2014 08:37PM

Yay.

Date: October 22, 2014 08:18PM

A honk of my horn to someone posting this one as "Fannie Algers":

>Now the sequel, "MEET THE REAL MORMONS"

>Rated R

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 08:46PM

Where the Hell is SkierJim in the reader's comments?

Wonder what Supercilious Laughing Dan has to say on the essay?

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 01:50PM

SkierJim7 got banned last week. For saying some of the exact same things that the church essay just released. Go figure.

Date: October 22, 2014 08:35PM

I love this!!!!!!! The mormons would have to be in a coma not to be affected by this article. I think one of my friend is posting to it also.... look for Elder Old Dog....

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 09:18PM

I did four years of seminary at Salt Lake area schools from 1973 to 1977. I never heard one word about Smith's polygamy.

I do recall when I was about 14 being told by a member of the bishopric (later a stake president and then a mission president) that I should never read "No Man Knows My History" as it would "ruin my testimony". Now, it seems through the essays that TSCC is busily confirming pretty much everything that Fawn Brodie researched and wrote about.

I don't see how anyone could continue to believe after this polygamy essay and its admission that Joe married Helen Mar Kimball "several months before her 15th birthday" (or as we more commonly refer to it -- when she was 14 years old).

TSCC must be desperate to staunch the flow of departing (and formerly) believing members. But, I don't see how this helps. It seems rather to confirm that all of the anti-Mormon propaganda that members have been warned to stay away from is true.

Wow. Just wow.

Posted by: Papa Bear ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 10:09AM

"or as we more commonly refer to it..." Haha!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 09:26PM

innoculation

Posted by: Hardline ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 10:37PM

It mentions this one twice.

" Records of Emma’s reactions to plural marriage are sparse; she left no firsthand accounts, making it impossible to reconstruct her thoughts."

But there are second hand accounts from Emma that infer she considered akin to fornication. Why can't the church use the secondhand sources? Because its incriminating.

Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 07:30AM

"Records of Emma’s reactions to plural marriage are sparse; she left no firsthand accounts, making it impossible to reconstruct her thoughts."

Oh no? Isn't it proof enough that Emma had a fallout with Brigham Young over polygamy, that she apostatized, and later cast her lot with the RLDS Church (which did not practice polygamy)? Isn't it proof enough that she taught her own children that polygamy was of the devil? I think her thoughts were very clear that she was an opponent to polygamy.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 08:57AM

"making it impossible to reconstruct her thoughts"........................

.........but apparently it's not impossible to try and reconstruct JS's own thoughts without such firsthand accounts........as long as they excuse his poor behaviour.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 11:30PM

Censorship? I just got banned forever. For relating some of the same facts that came out in the essay today. David Self Newlin is their new head censor. Previous employers; D-News & KSL. The takeover is complete.

Date: October 23, 2014 11:33AM

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 09:13PM

I don't know what made me more angry yesterday--the essay or having my comment censored by the Trib--censorship in any form has always been my emotional undoing. (It began when I was a writer for LDS Living--look where that censorship catapulted me :-)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 11:37PM

<<...and participants were asked to keep their actions confidential.>>

In other words, secret.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 01:22AM

Sacred, not secret

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:08AM

Reading that essay leads me to believe that we all may have been too hasty when we assumed Daniel C. Petersen was no longer of any use to the church.

I can almost smell the grease on his fingers with this one . . .

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 05:18AM

Take a look at the caption.

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/mediapool/sites/sltrib/Pages/gallery.csp?cid=1733664&pid=1915795

The truthful caption would/should be:

"Emma Smith, Joseph Smith's first wife and one of dozens of loves of the Mormon founder's life."

It's hilarious how the lying spin doctor caption writer tried to suggest that Joseph had special romantic feelings for Emma. Just plain hilarious!

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 07:06PM

... and aligned herself with RLDS along with Joseph Smith's children. Doesn't stop The Church from disrespecting Emma's decisions and plastering her likeness on LDS propaganda.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 11:29AM

Will the Teachings of the Presidents of the Church manual be updated to include the polygamous aspect of the many prophets' lives? Those inconvenient truths were left out, at least as recently 2010 when I stopped attending.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 01:29PM

Can anyone help me out, here?

Females once had the power of the priesthood, attested to by them laying on of hands and blessing one another. Or not?

Females were once members of the Quorum of the Anointed. Or not?

If women ever had either of these, when and by whom did these rights or privileges get taken away, and did either removal have anything to do with women not wanting to engage in the practice of plural marriage?

Trying to wrap my head around some things I was just told. Please advise.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:06PM

From what I understand, women never held the priesthood...were never ordained, etc... Women did give and participate in blessings, but this was viewed more as a NT "gift of the spirit" in the early church, not a priesthood ordinance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.