Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: poster ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 05:57AM

Imagine if Mormons had enough influence to make the laws they probably wish existed,would they have laws created that make (what Mormons would define) anti Mormonism of any type an illegal hate crime that equivalant to laws that outlaw the public preaching of racila bigotry against blacks or antisemitism against jews?

If this scenario was the case,then an evangelical pastor such as Bill Keller or any person who makes a negative public comment on television etc would be accused and prosecuted for a hate crime and the FBI would have to investigate the case as though the KKK burnt down a church for black people.A film like the Godmakers would be an illegal hate crime.

Mormons only make about 2% of the total population at the present time.But when a person such a Michael Steele who is the chairman of the US republican party publicly claims on US national radio that Mitt Romney lost the nomination to be the republican presidential candidate,he was placed under enough pressure to apoligize for that comment and forced to praise Mitt Romney as a person.Actor Tom Hanks said the something which referred tot he Mormon church as unamerican and he had to apologize for that.In my view,it is hardly possible to make a negative comment in any public way on national television without without being placed under enormous pressure to retract those comments.They might be an indication of how much power the Mormon church now has in America as a nation.

If there was twice as many Mormons in congress as there are now,would they use that influence to impose such laws as I mentioned above?Maybe even this board would be defined as a hate crime because Mormon power defines it that way or could do so if they had enough influence to achieve such a result.

This would be comparable to the power of the Muslims in Holland or any other country to punish a brave Dutch politician who is preaching that Islam is unworkable in a western democratic society.He is now on trial for such a type of defined hate crime.Muslims in arabic countries can jail or execute anybody who would speak publicly against Islam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 09:31AM

the U.S. would be the Mormon version of Iran if MORmONS had their way.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 10:25AM

Totally!

I know some mormons actually believe in the first amendment, but there are others who would gladly use the state as a means to force mormonism on everybody. Prop 8 is just a hint at this tendency.

Posted by: lisa ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 09:42AM

This is true of just about any religion though. If you make an anti-semitic comment (Mel Gibson) you will have to apologize publicly. If you make an anti-Islamic statement you will have to apologize publicly (or not apologize and be labeled as someone who discriminates - an accurate label).

It's not just something that happens with Mormons.

That being said, I think a state like Utah would pass a law like that. What really makes me angry is when I lived there they consistently refused to make more strict laws on hate crimes. I almost felt like they were giving excuses to their over zealous members who attacked gays and other minority groups.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 09:52AM

because they know that what can protect them also can protect truly stigmatized minorities from them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 09:53AM by me.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 09:57AM

Let's just say I'm glad Mormons aren't making the laws. :-)

Posted by: taxlaw ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 10:23AM

who gets to define "hate"?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.