Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 03:13AM

Giving it two days before I'm kicked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 03:15AM

Wow - you're bold :). Care to share any more details like the # of folks on the group? Also, please let us know how it goes.

Date: October 21, 2014 03:17AM

218 members, 10 people have read the post without comment so far.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 04:29AM

Wow... In just 4 minutes, you had 10 people look at it? You must be kind of a popular stud... Please keep us updated. I think you may have just stirred up some entertainment. (headed to the popcorn. ;))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2014 04:30AM by dejavue.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:30AM

WOW nice going! I just checked on my mission fb....no CES Letter there :( lol

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:01AM

Never bothered to look to see if there was a facbook group for my mission. It's probably best that I'm not a part of it. I might offend.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:07AM

Nice! Keep us updated!

I posted the CES letter on my FB page. A few ex-Mormons responded and said it was very interesting. No TBM's did but I'm sure they got curious. Hopefully some seeds were planted.

Date: October 21, 2014 10:59AM

Up to seen by 33, still no comment. I'd imagine at least someone from my mission agrees with it.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 11:16AM

You know...that's a great way to find people who think like you from your mission. I know one mission buddy who is in the same boat as me.

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 05:18PM

I've found that the best way to find out whether LDS friends on Facebook are now exmo or not is to look at your list of mutual friends. I've done that a few times where I'll reach out with a message of "Hi, its been a while since the days in [name of church unit we were in together]. Life has been treating me well since. What's up with you? I notice that you are also friends with [mutual friend - now exmo] and [mutual friend - now exmo]. I really admire them because they seem like a couple of the most honest people I've ever been acquainted".

The last time I did this was with a fellow missionary in my mission where Brother John Dehlin of Logan, Utah was one of the mutual friends I mentioned. She responded that she and her husband were out of the church for the past 2 years. She certainly didn't beat around the bush on that .... lol.

Date: October 22, 2014 02:38AM

Great tip, didn't work for John Dehlin :(. I'll keep my eyes open.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:42PM

Ooof, I'm feeling my age. It never occurred to me that Facebook would have mission pages. Can't imagine one for my best two years of life (he says with a deadpan expression).

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 04:48PM

I hope we get to hear some fun responses. I shared the CES Letter with a family member but have heard no response. I thought the person would at least let me have it with all guns for littering.

Date: October 22, 2014 02:35AM

Read by 50 so far. Only response has been:
"I don't know what the point of posting this article is, but one of these articles tries to disprove the Flood, the Tower of Babel and Lot's wife turning into salt, in addition to the Book of Mormon. Is this supposed to be anti-mormon or something or anti-Faith in general?"

Haven't responded yet.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 02:40AM

Say, "If logic is anti-mormon and truth is anti faith, then yes."

Posted by: Good Clean Fun ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 09:10AM

I might respond with "Note that the sources are almost all from the church."

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 09:43AM

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 09:54AM

anti-mormon? anti-faith?

Tell them - it's just truth. These are true statements. Truth isn't anti-mormon, it's just truth. These particular truths may not be friendly to mormonism, but that doesn't make them less true.

Or if you want something maybe a little more erudite, John Dehlin posted on FB and I caught this via Jeremy Runnells.
(https://www.facebook.com/johndehlin/posts/817261710049)

Now that thorough, well-researched, and super-accurate resources like http://cesletter.com and http://mormonthink.com exist, the LDS church appears to be in the very difficult place of feeling the need to condemn a source as "anti-Mormon" when it is (in reality) only speaking the truth about Mormonism....in a way that the church itself has failed to do for decades...if not over a century.

This seems like a very difficult and unenviable place to be.....where telling the truth about Mormonism is considered in and of itself to be an anti-Mormon act.
I hope that someday learning and telling the truth about Mormonism can be labeled as just that....learning and telling the truth about Mormonism.....and that someday, our more informed/open/honest LDS church members are no longer marginalized and/or punished for simply learning and repeating what is undeniably true.

Or a comment in the thread that followed might help you too:
If facts are considered anti-mormon what does that say about things that are pro-mormon?
(I like that one - I will steal it shamelessly)

Date: October 22, 2014 11:25PM

Lol, that is the exact post I shared with the CES letter to start this all off.

Posted by: nonutard ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 04:47AM

Just respond by saying that after reading the church issued polygamy essays and other essays you have decided to check out other problematic areas of church history and found that the cesletter.com points out some of them.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 05:38PM

I would point out that many Christian denominations have no
problem with the stories of the Flood, Tower of Babel, and
Lot's wife, being fictional/allegorical--extended parables, if
you will (does anyone think the story of the Good Samaritan, or
the Prodigal Son had to have actually happened for Jesus to use
them?). The problem with Mormonism is that it has attached its
credibility to the literalness of the Flood and Tower of Babel
stories (and put them into a timeline, that is flatly
contradicted by archaeological, anthropological, geological,
botanical, zoological, and historical evidence).

I would point out that in areas where science and scholarship
cannot answer questions (is there a God? how should we live?
etc.) then FAITH has room to take over. However in areas where
science and scholarship have supplied clear and settled answers
then it is no longer a matter of FAITH, but a matter of DENIAL.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 09:48AM

Some chapel mormons dont bother to look up "sources". If the bible or the bom do not mention it then it is too much work.

Posted by: vghj ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 07:55PM

try posting a synopsis of and link to the new essay. It seems only fair. keep the updates coming

Date: October 22, 2014 11:31PM

A follow up with links to the LDS.org essays would be in order. To "balance it out".

Date: October 22, 2014 11:53PM

Thanks for the help everyone.

Just commented with this:

Note that the sources are almost all from the church. Truth isn't anti-mormon, it's just truth. Even the churches' version of the truth is surprisingly different from what I was taught growing up, and then went out and taught during my mission.

Being informed about facts (these are church sources) should be important to us who share the gospel.

If facts are considered anti-mormon, what does that say about things that are pro-mormon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 11:54PM by Steven.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 04:51AM

Awesome! :D

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 11:55PM

I think when a lot of people like that say "anti-mormon" they really mean "anti-testimony". It's true that the CES Letter is devastating to testimonies.

Date: October 22, 2014 11:57PM

That definitely does seem to be how it is used.

Date: October 23, 2014 12:43AM

Just posted this as well:

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marriage-in-kirtland-and-nauvoo?lang=eng

Is me posting this link anti-mormon? Or me pointing out that Joseph Smith married teenages, other men's wives, and had sexual relations with many of his wives?

On my mission I remember explaining to people he married women to support them because they were old widows. This is not true, when President Matern explained this during one of our zone conferences, I don't think he knew the truth either.

The point is, the truth is important, and the truth is not anti-mormon, it is simply the truth.

Date: October 23, 2014 01:16AM

Hell-yeah!!! Right on man... keep us posted.

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: October 24, 2014 11:03AM

I would've written something like the following:

"Hardly anything will scare investigators more away from learning about the church from the missionaries and getting baptized than to allow the anti-Mormons to get away with having people think that Mormons care more about numbers than they do about being honest and truthful. If we will be diligent in seeking and sharing the truth then we will be able to lead many souls to the truth and be worthy of blessings."

One of the best blessings I got right away from learning the truth was a 10% pay raise :) And there have been many many more blessings :)

Date: October 25, 2014 01:19AM

Good response.

Posted by: dodgeawrench ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:23AM

Holy shit! What you are doing takes a lot of courage! Wow! I'm impressed. This is what I needed today! Thank you!

Date: October 24, 2014 10:36AM

Any new comments? Are you booted from the FB group?

Date: October 25, 2014 01:19AM

Not yet, nobody else said anything after the first and I'm still in the group. I'll update when anything else happens.

Date: October 25, 2014 01:21AM

Wow - I can't believe you survived. I vote polygamy essay next if you're up to it!

Date: October 25, 2014 01:45AM

Check up a few posts, I posted the polygamy in Nauvoo essay.

Date: October 25, 2014 02:25AM

Seriously, great job in having the nards to put this stuff up.

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: October 25, 2014 09:05AM

You're an example to us all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.