Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 02:48PM

Many thanks to the OzWizard on another board who posted the second week attendance stats for the MtM movie.

http://imgur.com/zpE5Sld

(oh BTW we went to the movies last night deep in the morg and the manager said of the SIX showings yesterday, there was only one customer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 02:55PM by rodolfo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 02:57PM

Take the total gross and divide by $6.50 which is very generous and you have a total attendance of:

696,000 have seen this movie. Say 99% of those are TBMs.

So we just took 4.5 million dollars out of members pockets to promote a movie about Mormons... to Mormons.

This is insanity.

My ward mission leader bragged about how it was the number NINE film in the country and that it had "made" 4 million dollars. Best of all, "we" got it to stay another week.

For what? So we can all go see it again to prop up the box office? It will only fall harder than it did last week making it look worse.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 05:05PM

So hopefully by the time this movie completely fizzles out we will see LDS,Inc. cut a check for about 5 million to the American Red Cross. Correct?

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 05:26PM

TSCC might donate $5 million to pretend like the movie was a success, but I still don't believe that the film will make any money.

Filmmakers and distributors typically take a huge cut of ticket sales for the first couple weeks. However, I'd bet that the church's take was far smaller than normal, and I'd bet that they didn't charge the theaters any lease fee. It would be a money loser for almost any theater if that wasn't the case.

This is just a wild guess, but the church's take is probably far less than 50% of ticket sales. Production costs, distribution fees, etc... are certainly greater than the church's take at this point.

NO NET PROFIT = NO MONEY FOR THE AMERICAN RED CROSS

...or so you would think. The church might make a large donation to make it look like they didn't lose loads of money on it.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 05:35PM

Just checked the theater closest to me. It's out of the line-up this Friday. They gave it two weeks...in what is probably the most mormony place on earth. It had 19 showings between two screens last week. It has 10 showings this week. They have 27 seats sold for the next showing though, and half the theater sold for the 7 PM showing (FHE).

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:48AM

PUKE! What a terrible FHE activity for the family. I hope the kids revolt.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 04:30PM

No pick-up on Sunday, so still no non-Mormons seeing this LDS, Inc. infomercial.

Sunday, $67 dollars per venue, meaning less than 10 people TOTAL per venue.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=meetthemormons.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 04:32PM by jerry64.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 05:00PM

This is per VENUE, not per showing, correct? In this case a theater with multiple showings still only had 10 customers for the whole day.

Posted by: whattookmesolong ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 05:07PM

What???!!!??? I have it on good authority (Facebook) that this movie is taking the country by storm and filling theaters everywhere!!?? How can this be?

It is unbelievable the way this cult operates. It's "Every Member an Apologists" these days. And the sheeple actually believe it of which they speak! Makes it difficult to have an intelligent conversation.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 08:23PM

Posted by: Ctus (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 05:15PM

The difference between this number 11 and numbers 10 and 9 is huge. The mormons have met the mormons and this movie is now dead.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 05:24PM

I spent my ticket money to see 'Fury'.

Damn, that's a well-made and intense movie.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 06:39PM

Wow, down 77% from last week, even though they *added* 16 more theaters showing it.
I'll bet next week there will hardly be any theaters showing it...

Apparently the world doesn't want to meet the mormons.
Because despite what the 15 think, the problem isn't that people don't know what mormons are -- it's that they DO.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 07:22PM

Well I know one thing. I am so so sick and tired of seeing the broad with the red boxing gloves popping up and befouling my web browsing where ever I look.

What genius came up with 'the fighter' for a banner ad anyway?

Mom taught me never hit girls bit she didn't say I couldn't kick. Love to kick me some of her ass.

It can't be much longer before the suits pull the plug on her ersatz boxing career we pray.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 08:18PM

In Cache Valley.

When the Larry H. Miller group owns a good number of theaters in Utah, then the Mormons probably got free theaters. Last weekend, there were 12 showings a day. I didn't look this weekend. BUT MtM was in the main theater at the place I went.

I was worried about seeing "Fury" because Doug Wright and others said it was worse than "Saving Private Ryan" and was a "hard R," though they liked it. I've seen MUCH BLOODIER movies than this one. At least they didn't do the blood flying in slow motion. Excellent movie (like someone above stated). I was rather amazed at how many people were at the movies on Sunday to see Fury.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 08:19PM by cl2.

Posted by: Feelinglight ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 09:31PM

I saw Fury as well. Great movie. My husband said "want to go see meet the Mormons? " I already met them, no thanks.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 11:27PM

So after seeing "Meet The Mormons" nobody will think there is a single cocaine addicted, welfare collecting, homeless, alcoholic, bipolar disordered, or spouse/child abusing person who is a Mormon? Nobody will think there are any Mormons with loads of financial problems, delinquent children or totally confused about what to do with their lives? They will believe that all Mormons are just like those portrayed in this infomercial and that Mormonism is the only reason why their lives are so special?

GIVE. ME. A. BREAK !!

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:38AM

The mormon movie will be a loss for the morg. Not a huge loss but still a loss. No one is interested as evidenced by the dismal attendance numbers. It is my understanding that of the gross box office revenues: the theater takes HALF. After that the distribution company takes another half of the remainder AFTER subtracting costs for marketing, pop displays, etc. In the end the production company will get less than 25% of the box office gross. So, the movie lost money. Not a lot, but it did loose. For comparison, a spectacular loss would be "Mars needs Moms" a movie that cost 200 million and grossed 20 million.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:50AM

In the Sunday Seattle paper I counted 49 movie houses with a total of 369 screens.

Out of that 369 screens 5 were showing 'Meet the Mormans'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2014 12:51AM by backphil.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:59AM

He remarked, "Oh. There's a movie out called 'Meet the Mormons.'" I said, "Yeah. From what I hear, it's an extended infomercial, made and distributed by the church."

He just turned the page, and that was the last I heard about it.

May we ALL be so lucky.

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 02:16AM

And "Left Behind" still beat "Meet the Mormons" It's bad when a horrible film is doing better than your film.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 01:12PM

I agree, it's really bad when your propaganda film is beaten by an even worse film.

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 02:30AM

I have no idea why you all are so negative about this movie! Look at that stats! It beat out Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to come in 16 over the weekend.

I'm really surprised TSCC hasn't bought commercial ad time to brag about that.

Date: October 21, 2014 09:53AM

outsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm really surprised TSCC hasn't bought commercial
> ad time to brag about that.

I haven't seen a LDS commercial for years. Do they stil make them? Are they airing them at 2AM to 5AM slot so the druggies and night owls that are trying to figure out life will see the commercial and feel inspired to go to church and walk Jesus's path?

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 08:12AM

I'm sure that as word gets out what a wonderful movie this was, interest will pick up and sales will increase exponentially. Have faith.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 08:28AM

The Mos have been giving MtM a ten rating on IMDB giving it a high rating and glowingly positive reviews. The numbers are either a ten from the Mos and a one from just about anyone else apparently, but the Mo reviews out-number the critics. There is almost nothing in between a one or a ten. Indoctrinated Morgbots.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 08:30AM

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a eleven percent and a one star.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:13AM

was from St. George, Utah. Maybe a Mormon?

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 05:59PM

Yeah, but the audience score is 92%. If you look at the reviews, they are all about how "uplifting" the movie is. Ugh. I'm guessing there was a message from various pulpits that told members to get out there and give it an unbiased review. Hah.

Please do your ex-Mormon part and give it an honest review! :-)
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/meet_the_mormons/

And if you haven't visited IMDb to put in your review there, here's a link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4003774/?ref_=rvi_tt
Click the star rating, and give it a short review.

Date: October 21, 2014 09:54AM

Has "Meet the Mormons" trailer been a part of any of the films shows these last two weeks?

I doubt it.

Date: October 21, 2014 01:34PM

Last weekend, my boyfriend and I saw it. It seems like we went to 2 movies last weekend, but I can't remember the second. We saw "Maleficent" in the second-run theater here and they showed a preview.

I've noticed both weekends that everyone we were walking by as we went to the theater we were headed towards was saying to each other in a sarcastic manner, "We could go see mtm" and then laughing.

Date: October 21, 2014 01:38PM

Was this at a UT based theater?

Anyone see the trailer in the 49 other states or Puerto Rico?

Date: October 21, 2014 01:39PM

Posted by: Interested observer ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 01:56PM

Responding to the IMDB comment by No Mo I would like to add that 10 days ago when I checked the ratings meet the Mormons stood at 6.4 Today it's reached 7.6 so at that rate another 15 days will see it overtake The Shawshank Redemption as the greatest fim in the history of cinema.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 01:58PM

It's like selling Scientology by touting that faith's Hollywood connections — and the fodder it might offer for future memoirs. Aimed at nonbelievers, Meet the Mormons isn't substantial enough to screen on the first day of LDS 101; the church's most basic tenets — and controversial aspects — are elided completely. Instead, the focus is on the just-swell lives of six members, with a conspicuous emphasis on ethnic and cultural diversity, possibly to paper over the church's racist past.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 05:15PM

I live in Utah but work currently in Alabama. I just checked with Fandango to determine where I could see Meet the Mormons (if I wanted to). The closest theater is in Huntsville, Alabama, over 100 miles away. Oh, and it ends tomorrow. Not much of a run.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 05:18PM

I'm kind of bummed that Birdman isn't doing better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.