Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 08:51PM

I don't know if they are TBM, or maybe just Christians with a persecution complex (like TBM's). But, it seems to me that if you are publicaly making your opinions known, you don't get to cry persecution when other people call you on it.

From the article:

"Incredibly, the pair – who say homosexuality is “like a cancer” – claim that they are actually being persecuted by people who challenge them about the homophobic messages."

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/10/19/us-idaho-couple-who-cover-their-car-in-anti-gay-messages-claim-theyre-being-persecuted/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:37PM

She has a facebook page....looks like she's a recent newlywed...

Ron Burr

Date: October 19, 2014 11:00PM

Seems to me that if you are going to drive around intentionally trying to make people angry with you, you would want to make your Facebook page a little more private.

I feel sorry for her kids, especially if one turns out to be gay.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:09PM

This couple are heading in a very dark direction....

Ron Burr

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 10:26AM

Like I always say, "LONG LIVE FREE SPEECH!" If they have theirs taken away, yours/mine/ours will be next.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 03:06PM

I totally agree - but isn't it amazing that they don't realize the blow-back they are getting is others exercising their own free speech.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 03:10PM

I don't get why people equate "free speech" with the ability to say whatever you want and face absolutely zero consequences.

No one is going to get arrested for speaking publically about pretty much any topic. but you will face consequences. If I were to publically call for a return to slavery, I wouldn't get arrested, but people would call me an idiot and say that I'm a horrible person.

People have the right to say whatever they want, but people hearing also have the right to respond by saying whatever they want.

It's not persecution.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 03:26PM

Free speech often comes with free consequences and free rebuttals.

I don't think that's the issue here. They like saying what they are saying, they just want everyone not use their own right to free speech.

Posted by: NeverOne ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 02:19AM

They have every right to claim whatever they want... _however_, they cannot claim persecution when someone else exercises their self same right.

Date: October 20, 2014 11:08AM

Yep, that's how I see it too. Oh the hypocrisy!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 11:41AM

"He’s very clear in the Bible. The Bible says that when homosexuality is publicly accepted, basically it spreads like a cancer. This is kind our little way of protesting the homosexual extremist movement.”

Why is it that religious nuts always claim their holy book says things it doesn't say? Don't they ever *read* it? The bible says no such thing.

Yes, they have their free speech, and have the "right" to cover their car with their happy little sayings.
And the rest of us have the right to criticize them for it. Loudly and regularly.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 03:30PM

Fire in the theater, so to speak.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 03:36AM

People will slash your tires."

I don't know about the tire-slashing bit, but I've always limited my vehicular adornments to a few decals from environmental causes (now, really - who can get pissed off at the adorable panda logo for the World Wildlife Federation??) and one from my alma mater.

Never had a tire slashed. Geez, people, use some sense.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 03:48AM

This reminds me of that Top Gear episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jG0D2nRGrQ

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.