Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Deluded ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:05PM

I want to share my testimony that not paying tithing has been a blessing to my family. About 8 years ago my faith waivered and was quickly gone. I stopped paying tithing. This has resulted in numerous financial and psychological blessings. My guilt was gone. I did not have to wonder whether tithing on net income was enough for God and his alleged leaders. I had less stress about supporting my family on our single income. During these years my income has gone from 55 thousand to 120 thousand annually. I have bought a much nicer house, put away money for retirement and emergencies. I have good health and life insurance. Yes, I have even given money to real charities. I am happy to declare that few of my dollars have funded hotel and mall developments by the LDS church. When I look into the eyes of my children I can feel good that I chose them over the non-humble declarations of so-called church leaders who claim to speak for God and ask me to put their priorities before my family. I recognize that I am unusually fortunate or blessed.

I believe and know that their is no quid pro quo relationship between tithing the LDS church and blessings. Indeed, the evidence and my belief is the opposite. If you love God, take care of your family and tithe yourself 10 percent. If you see others in true need, help with love and compassion. Surely this would make God happy.

I leave this with you in Jesus' name, Amen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:18PM

Deluded Wrote:
"If you love God, take care of your family and tithe yourself 10 percent. If you see
others in true need, help with love and
compassion. Surely this would make God happy."

Well said, whether or not you love God.

Posted by: Deluded ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:25PM

For sure. Speaking from the perspective of one who wants to believe.

I cannot believe in a God who wants his 10 percent despite poverty and tragedy. Who loves Gold teeth fillings as payment for tithes. Who wants those in poverty to sacrifice medical care and food for a chandelier in a great and spaceous temple, mall, or hotel. I can't believe in a God who sacrifices the needs of those who faithfully pay tithes in the third world for towncars, jet-setting leaders, and investments.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:43PM

Would be so delightful to hear in a Church-cult testimony meeting. Now that one, even I would attend.

Good read.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.