Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:34PM

Mormon Family inheritance picture of grapes:
Did you inherit any?

http://www.moderatebutpassionate.com/2011/08/mormon-plastic-grapes-inspired-by-mary.html

Pay Lay Alol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2014 12:35PM by Jerry the Aspousetate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:41PM

Oh man that is too funny. When dh's TBM grandparents passed away 10 years ago, I took the grape light. It's a large glass bunch of grapes you can hang from the ceiling as a light fixture. I had never seen one before and thought it was kitchy. Had no idea this was a mormon thing.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:55PM

It looks like the 2nd pic, except green grapes. Dang, maybe I should sell the sucker. It's been in our attic. Keep meaning to hang it somewhere but it weighs a ton. We tried hanging it once but we weren't confident the bolt would hold the weight.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 01:09PM

Mom had them. They were a standard RS project back when I was a kid. An adult sister spilled a can of fake-grape-making resin in the back of her car. It was a gummy mess. She should've spilled the hardener, too, so at least she wouldn't need to keep putting cardboard on the car floor. Good thing it was a beater car to begin with.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:19PM

My mom had a set of them. Our living room was all Scandinavian modern furniture from the early 60's. It would be back in style now.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:54PM

I did have a co-worker ask me if the grapes had a special significance in mormonism. I asked her why she might think that. She replied that she had been in several mormon homes and had seen them. This was in the 70's in CA.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 05:10PM

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 03:01PM

My mom made a set in RS in the early 60's, purple and green. I don't have a clue as to where the idea originated from.

At the time, my older brother (never TBM) and his VERY non TBM wife (full time smoker, never far from a beer but funny as hell and generous to a fault) came to visit us in Utah.

She was so taken with the grapes that when they went home to CA, she made some for their house, which I remember seeing when we visited once.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 07:58PM

Yikes those give me bad flashbacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Still Lurking ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:54PM

I have the orange/rust colored grapes that were made by my mother. I added some fresh, silk grape leaves, and still display them.

Does anyone remember the grape clusters made using marbles and 'Chore Girl' kitchen scrubbers? Mom made a group of three and hung them on the wall.

With all these grapes around, I can see how a person would wonder about their significance to Mormonism.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:11PM

My mom was RS president and very crafty so we had them. I went to DC a few years ago and took a side trip to visit my aunt in Virginia. She asked me if I wanted some of my mom's grapes. I was more than happy to take them home with me. Auntie was probably glad to get rid of them but she would never say that as she's a super sweet person. I'm guessing that my mom made a bunch and gave them to people. Nice to have a little momento of my mom.

Posted by: rogerv ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 05:39PM

I'm a Nevermo who grew up on the edge of the"corridor" and I sometimes drop into this forum. So those grapes were a Mormon thing?? We had a bunch of them on a bookshelf in our house for years! I do remember my mom learned to make them from a jack Mormon friend (jane Mormon?). Since I doubt the friend ever went to RS, I'm guessing she learned from her TBM DIL. To think we had them in our house all those years... what must people have though? Actually, probably nothing in view of the fact that both my parents were heavy smokers, but still...!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 05:45PM

Could be. Mormons had them,but that doesnt mean they invented them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 05:50PM by bona dea.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 05:52PM

They sat on top of the piano for at least 20 years. They arrived sometime in the mid 60's. Everyone in the ward had some. Ours were orange and gold.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.