Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:30PM

I am listening to an Alan Watts lecture series and he mentioned that the concept of a "serious god" is one ascribed to in Western traditions and that the playful god is an Eastern concept.

I think Mormonism's god derives from a god who isn't about playing and having fun. Meet The Mormons probably doesn't highlight this so maybe it isn't true?

Maybe with "Families are Forever" Mormonism's god is all about Family Game Nights and having fun now and forever?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:39PM

Murderously/genocidally serious.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 04:30PM

I need to meet my Blaspheme quota of five times a day.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:48PM

Caution swearing.

I have some friends that have a phrase they use a lot and I think it is especially appropriate for Mormon God:

He is all over the place like a mad man's s#!T

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:41PM

They are stuck when they try to describe god as Candy Nice Daddy.

A. The God of the OT is a total A hole.
B. God is unchanging.

Date: October 21, 2014 09:14AM

So could one infer that worshipers of The Mormon God like to be treated poorly by the representatives of their god?

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:54PM

"And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; they shall be drunken with their own blood as with sweet wine; and all flesh shall know that I, the Lord, am thy Savior and thy Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.” (1 Nephi 21:26)

Jesus and his father are one (Ether 3:14; Mosiah 15:1-4), so this gives you a pretty good sense of what a great guy "Heavenly Father" is.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 06:05PM

Damn right he's dead serious!

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 07:13PM

He's so busy making spirit babies with his wives that he has no time for anything else.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 09:33AM

The god of the Old Testament reminds me of Tom Arnold with a psychotic streak.

I just can't be bothered.

What kind of a thing/being creates billions of children with the sole directive to worship him, and if they don't worship him right, they are cast into darkness and hell forever and ever?

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 10:50AM

After almost two thousand years leaving people to fend for themselves without any guidance, God choses a compulsive liar, glass-looking, ladies loving, narcisistic dude to restore his one true Church throught which all humanity past and present must submit to find salvation. To make things a little more interesting, he causes his one true Church and his one true prophet to appear to be a fraud, but they actually aren't. He hides every evidence that would prove his prophet and creates many false evidences that makes him seem like a con-man.

How serious can he be? He's a trickster!

Date: October 22, 2014 06:39AM

TheOtherHeber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's a trickster!

God works in mysteriously tricky ways! He choose as his founding prophet in these the last days a reformed treasure seeker and selling of a psychic talent.

It is the equivalent of magician using deception to bring people to the truth kind of god.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:17PM

I suppose the mormon God is playful because he wants you to fuck forever and ever making spirit kids and creating mortal tabernacles in order to populate worlds. Well at least that's what they used to say. Now there are just eternal family units that sit in heaven....pondering about screwing their two + wives?? I don't know.

God is just whatever you want IT to be.

Date: October 22, 2014 06:42AM

Well he doesn't want you to have a threesome with your extra wife in your mortal life so may be is all about being "playful" in your afterlife. In the 80s he didn't endorse oral sex.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 21, 2014 12:28PM

He's a jerk. He creates all this great stuff like beer and coffee, and then tells people they're not allowed have any.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: October 22, 2014 07:46AM

Judging by the somber tone set in worship meetings and especially at Conference, they prefer a serious and stern character.

Date: October 22, 2014 03:33PM

The Spirit of God has to burn like a fire under your ass and into your bosom to keep you awake in Mormon meetings.

The scientific term is a bosom burner. Kinda like a Bunsen Burner except it is "spiritual."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.