Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 09:46AM

White has always been the only choice for garments except for the military and that only changed during the Vietnam war. What would be the church punishment for someone that dyed their garments a different colour? Maybe blue or green.

What if someone redesigned their garments to fit better? Perhaps for a woman to make hers sexy. If the local leaders found out is there something in the rule book or would it be made up on a case by case basis?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 09:56AM

Well I dunno about gammeroo colors but I see you have shown your colors by the way you spell 'colors'.

So we know you're a canuk, a limey, or an ozzie anyway.

Cheers mate!

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:13AM

Sorry to disappoint you. I come from the land of cowboy hats, boots, wranglers and big belt buckles. When I received my mission call I also received a letter from the mission home to not bring boots or my hat.

After I arrived, the mission wanted me to have them sent so I could be part of their singing group. We had a real American Indian with his costume and he would dance for the crowds. My companion went on to be a real cowboy. He actually spends his days out with cattle. Me - I still wear Wranglers because they make slims in fat boy sizes. But no garments.

Date: October 19, 2014 10:27AM

Never one to make assumptions, I stand corrected.

Would like to know what a bishop might say if he caught a glimpse of some sister's pink gammies.

Anyone?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:20AM

Shummy, the bish shouldn't be looking in that direction.

Date: October 19, 2014 11:24AM

All in the name of looking after the flock.

And them saycrud coven-ants, ya know?

:o)

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:26AM

I've never known anyone to dye or alter their Gs so I guess it would be on a case by case basis.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:37PM

I knew of a gal who dyed her garments back in the 60's. I did not know her personally. Only the rumors.
All I recall is that she was told not to do it anymore.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 04:50PM

I heard a roumor at one time that I believed at the time was true but was probably an untrue mormon urban legend at best. The roumor said that Alice Cooper's dad was a mormon bishop, that Alice stole a pair of his dad's garments, died them red, and wore them out on stage at one of his concerts. Anyone else ever hear this one?

Posted by: Airizona ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 05:22PM

Heard this too, but after spending 10 seconds asking Google, I learned that this was false- although his dad was a preacher.

Posted by: ipseego2 ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 12:44PM

Alice Cooper's dad was a preacher in the Church of Christ (Bickertonite) http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_(Bickertonite)&redirect=no . They use the Book of Mormon but not temples and garments. So if there is anything to the story it would have to be some other piece of clothing that Young Alice C used for his mischief.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 07:55PM

Once upon a time one could get just the markings which were then sewn into your uniform.

There was also a time many years ago when one bought the pattern for garments and could make their own.

Posted by: pineapple ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 08:38PM

Now days the church will screen print the markings on the inside of the t-shirt, regardless of what color shirt you're mandated to wear. So you can run around with your garment top as your outer layer of clothing, and nobody will know it's any different than a regular t-shirt.

Date: October 19, 2014 08:25PM

Well if you guys were as old as an old valley of the stunned fuq..... well you would go ask alice...

I think she'd know.

FWIW:

Vincent Fournier, aka alice cooper ...grew up in Phx amongst Mormies at good ole Cortez High.

As luck would have it, his pa was Ether Moroni Founier, from the Stragite branch of Josephism, IIRC.

No relation to the Brighamites nor the bishop's kid he hung out with.

Better believe Alice knew a'plenty about moism, but the FPRs aren't true about him being a lapsed mo or such.

Date: October 19, 2014 08:25PM

And how I would love to hear Tal Bachman's memories of Alice.

Once more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2014 08:35PM by Shummy.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 09:30PM

In order to appear more mainstream, LD$ leaders have decided to approve liturgical colors for garments. As we in the common time, green will be the color of choice. Dark blue for a Advent (wash garments with new jeans), purple for Lent, and white for Christmas and Easter. Boner.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 01:49AM

Alice here:)

If you have a serger sewing machine, it's easy to alter g's.

I would shorten mine, and put wide lace on the bottom of the leg. This made them smoother and kept them from riding up. You couldn't see them under lightweight slacks. My machine could also sew the marking on the knee.

I also would cut off the cap sleeve if needed. A serger puts on a nice finished edge. The lace on the neckline was itchy. I cut it off and put on a better edge.

I sent many suggestions to SLC to change the garments so women could stand to wear them. A nice lightweight biker short was one suggestion. They actually attempted that. They used crappy fabric and design though. Another suggestion was a panty with a high cut leg, then work in a garment leg. This would resolve the problem of double underwear for many women. Apparently that one cost too much money. A camisole top with built in bra would be a god send for many mormon women. They men in charge don't care if the women are chronically miserable in that crap they call underwear. No money allocated for redesign or upgrades.

I had some sewing skills and the right machinery to make changes, so I did. I didn't tell anyone about it. I'm pretty sure I could have had a major business venture going in rebuilding garments to make them into underwear instead of torture devices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 01:57AM by madalice.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 02:46AM

Madalice, you might be a member of my TBM family.

There was one style of garment that they stopped making, but I could get them on special order. It was called the "flare leg." the two legs flared out very wide, and it didn't have an open crotch. The woman was supposed to pee out of either one of the leg openings. My mother showed me how to cut out the divider between the legs, and sew them together like a short slip--are you with me? On the top, she would cut off the cap sleeve. Then, on the sleeve holes, neckline and the bottom, she would sew some pretty lace (real lace from Europe). I wore this nice slip OVER my pants and bra. My mother told me to never show or tell about these garments.

Well, long after my mother died, my female cousins were sitting in my aunt's bedroom, after my aunt's funeral. All of us had left the church, and I told them my garment story. They all burst out laughing, and opened my aunt's drawer, and my aunt had identical garments. I recognized my mother's lace. My cousins said they'd always wondered where-in-the-world my aunt had gotten them.

Evidently, others had a secret, underground garment-rebuilding venture going on, too.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 09:54AM

OMG!! I absolutely LOVE that idea. I had a sewing machine and would have SO done that. My (now-ex) SIL was short. She used to hike up the legs so they wouldn't go half-way to her ankles. Then she discovered they made G's in a petite size. She bought those but still hiked up the legs so she could wear short dresses and skirts.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 03:01AM

Unless the garments are made out of 100% cotton, it would be difficult to dye them any dark or fun colors because polyester doesn't take the types of dyes used for natural fibers.

Here are some basic instructions:
http://m.wikihow.com/Dye-Polyester

Date: October 20, 2014 03:32AM

Well that's the kind of relief to society more sisters need to share.

Especially the lacey parts!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 04:32AM

I think a nice tie dye would be nice....always thought that and my friend and I dyed her dad's garmies (tie dyed) them when we were about 12 years old as a joke. Got grounded.

Posted by: Searcher ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 08:47AM

My understanding is that garments are now available in multiple colors and styles by special order. This is to accomodate people in the fire, ems and law enforcement fields who would overheat if they had to wear "two t-shirts."

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 09:47AM

If it's the MARKS that are the important thing, why not cut & paste? Pasties - just glue them on in the 4 spots.

Or what about tats? No more embarrassing underwear lines or stories.

That way, we could all wear skimpier clothes, and be more mainstream, but still be temple-worthy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.