Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bratschedan ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:27AM

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/temple-garments

All of my TBM friends are going crazy about this on Facebook.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:57AM

TBM friends are going crazy about this? Why?

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:01AM

Shouldn't the makers of this film be excommunicated just like any other memeber that would have put their G's on a youtube video?

Posted by: AnotherRunner ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:30PM

No excommunication for these guys because there aren't any symbols shown.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:39PM

No symbols shown or even referred to = disingenuous.

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 07:50AM

The weirdness trying so hard to look normal.

Think of the garment in these terms:

All of the apparel used by other religions are not subject to the wearer crapping and pissing all over the sacred clothing.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 08:03AM

That was a really good video. Thanks for posting.

Question: Why do LDS fold their arms when praying?

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 08:20AM

Really, was it necessary for the Church to show the world what kind of under wear I am wearing? Is nothing private or off limits to what the Church will do to gain a convert?

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:40AM

notamormon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That was a really good video. Thanks for posting.
>
> Question: Why do LDS fold their arms when praying?

It's a defensive move or "I'm closed" body language thing? "I'm not open to anybody elses opinion?" Closed mind?

Who the hell knows. It's very irritating; especially when you see grown men doing it! It looks stooped.

Posted by: smo ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:25AM

No video describing a cult's underwear would be complete without some 'Heart Sell' music cooked up in the background.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2014 10:33AM by smo.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:35AM

Cat's out of the bag. Might as well try making it sound "normal."

HA!

When I went to get my first garments at the "BEHAVE Clothing Mills" in SLC, a woman and her young child were there buying garments. The child asked "What are you getting, Mommie?"

The clerk, in a stern matronly voice, asnwered the child, "She's buying underwear. It's just underwear."

What a joke.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:55AM

WTH church? They're totally ruining the brand! What's the point of having "sacred not secret so we never talk about it" if you publish it on youtube?

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:58AM

It's a wise move from the church's perspective tbh. It's all over the Internet now, literally everybody vaguely interested in mormonism will find out about them, they may as well stop trying to hide it.

Posted by: zarahemlatowndrunk ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:08AM

IDK, for me it's kinda weird having the first ten posts in my newsfeed being from friends who want to show me an uplifting spiritual message about their underwear. Maybe letting the info out in a more subtle way would be smart, but handing it over to their zealous member missionaries to flood onto social media seems not well thought out

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 01:46PM

zarahemlatowndrunk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's kinda weird having the first ten
> posts in my newsfeed being from friends who want
> to show me an uplifting spiritual message about
> their underwear.

LOL

Posted by: Ausguy ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:01AM

Wow what's next???

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 01:44PM

An inoculation video on Joseph Smith translating with his magic rock & hat trick. The church essay uses biblical imagery to make Joseph Smith's stone appear spiritual, God-sanctioned and normal.

I guess a 4-5 minute video on this topic with some HeartSell® Music might be in the works?

Got to inoculate the rising generation that all the crazy in Moism is normal.

Posted by: cagirl not logged In ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:23AM

But what if you didn't know Mormons wore special underwear? Because even people who know Mormons don't know what undies they have on. Suddenly you see a video link on fb and think wtf? I have a friend who lived in Utah 15 years and had no idea her coworkers wore weird underwear til I told her. Getting hit with this information out of the blue is just going to up the weird factor a LOT.

Posted by: honest1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 01:23PM

I agree cagirl. totally.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:25AM

I agree with the others that this is damage control. With everything on the net these days (the temple ceremony), and everybody knowing about Gs whether mormon or not, the church is trying to spin it to look normal.

I think it's also to reduce the shock initiates feel when going through the temple for the first time. I was just as traumatized by those awful costumes, and the constant fiddling with them, as the creepy rituals.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:47AM

Ok I just logged onto FB. Wow, it's really weird that the TBMs are posting about their underwear!!

If I were still TBM I'd be really embarrassed about this, but then again I was embarrassed to be a mormon.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:55AM

This just goes to show what complete idiots the PR people are at LDS, Inc. Nothing screams cult quite like magic underpants. If you attract more flies with honey than vinegar, then they're putting out the nastiest vinegar they could find. Nobody, but nobody, reads that and has the response "I now have profound respect for Mormons and their magic underpants, yes, I would like to learn more."

I think they're still suffering from the delusion that their church is what it claims to be.

Posted by: tootsmcguire ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:56AM

The points made in the video are very valid BUT it shows a desperation to be considered mainstream. It is also a huge betrayal to members of tscc, who have been taught these are sacred garments and must not be shown. Money.

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:11PM

Deseret News just posted the video on Facebook. I am raising an eyebrow and temped to comment asking why their underwear is in the news?

Posted by: oldspeak ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 11:41PM

Already commented! And liked every comment that was like "why does the church need to prove itself to anyone?", "dislike" and people who were uncomfortable about their sacred garments being put on display.

I hope that for everyone who feels uncomfortable about the video may experience the first cracks in their TSCC helmet that it is not a church run by or inspired by God.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 01:01PM

The church is trying to evolve from being a cult to being a mainstream religion. They're changing their emphasis from saying that all other religions are an abomination, to using those other religions as an example of how mormonism is not strange or so different from those other religions that are acceptable to society. Any time the church itself (or through the businesses it owns), does something that would clearly have gotten an individual church member excommunicated at one time, all I see is that it is a cult, masquerading as the only true church. If I couldn't film the temple clothes and distribute those pictures to the world, why can the church do that now? Either that clothing is sacred and shouldn't be revealed, or not. There is no in-between there.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 01:53PM

Temple garments are just another example of how the church is like the ice bucket challenge. Get everyone to do something stupid because of mass peer pressure. If you don't wear this horrid underwear you are not part of the group who do it and you are less than we are.

Heck. If the prophet wanted to poisen the whole church he could do it. It would be easy. The masses are programmed.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 01:59PM

I think we are seeing the end of the "Peculiar People" era and a suttle morphing into the "We are crazy just like everyone else" era. The temple is such a money maker for the church and such an excellent mass brainwashing tool, they have to keep it. They will water the wierdness down some but they are going to keep the guilt trip and sky daddy promises.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:39PM

How many older TBMs are going to watch that video and be really shocked to hear that their garmies are NOT magic after all?

How many TBMs are going to notice that the cartoonish green apron and the silly baker's hat look better flattened in a photo that they look when actually worn?

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:42PM

Garmies are still ugly, no matter how you photograph them.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:47PM

I liked the end of the news release:

"Because of the personal and religious nature of the temple garment, the Church asks all media to report on the subject with respect, treating Latter-day Saint temple garments as they would religious vestments of other faiths. Ridiculing or making light of sacred clothing is highly offensive to Latter-day Saints."

In other words, please don't make fun of our magic underwear, no matter how ridiculous it is. It makes us feel silly.

And it should.

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:11PM

Sacred underwear? That you pooh, pee, and fart in? And it is in the news? How can you not make fun?!

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 05:37PM

They are right about other religions have silly vestments and religious clothing.

Don't they look just as stupid as the magic underwear? Does the pope wear a funny hat?

At least as a young, gullible, brainwashed cultist, the cult undies were worn under the outer clothing and I wasn't immediately identifiable as a superstitious human. I find prayer shawls and yarmulkes on god's chosen people irritating; not to mention the covering of women by Muslims. The nuns habits look dumb and only serve to make them look ugly. Not many hansom priest wearing vestments either. The liturgy robes of the Orthodox are just plain scary looking. They don't look holy or godly, just hot and creepy.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 06:38PM

Other religions got head gear, and the Mormons got butt gear. Not much risk of a yarmulke being soiled with bodily wastes.

Posted by: fj4017 ( )
Date: October 20, 2014 11:09PM

Why don't they show the garmies on somebody? Don't sugercoat it pr people, show how wierd it really looks when the cool-aide drinkers wear this stuff.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.