Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fully Disvested ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 09:07PM

I am a male.

Let's say that I am married and my spouse is a habitual liar. She never tells me the entire truth but constantly shades the truth and downright lies in order to protect her unsavory behavior and to exercise control over me. Furthermore, she regularly demands a good portion of my income but offers no accounting for how she spends it. She hurts me and others that I love in innumerable ways. Of course, she denies all wrongdoing and insists she is the perfect spouse and the only one who could make me happy.

Would you remain married to such a person?

Well, the church is an awful lot like the fictional spouse that I was referring to.

If I allow myself to be consistently lied to, robbed, and emotionally abused but do nothing about it, I lose all respect for myself as a human being.

And a healthy self-esteem is a critical component to happiness.

Do you understand why I can no longer participate in this church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 09:16PM

Nice metaphor there! Especially since at a temple wedding/sealing you make your vows to the mo-church and not your spouse!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 04:42PM

The church is sneakier than that. They claim that your covenants are with god. And who is the exclusive agent for god here on earth? Well of course they are. At least that's what they claim. But the abuse comes from them none the less.

Posted by: Lorenzo Snowjob ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 08:43AM

It is such a feeling of betrayal to be lied to at every turn by the very people that you trust the most -- people you have trusted your entire life.

Now, I am sick of the lies, lies, lies. And, of course, the never-ending PR spin in order to look good in the eyes of the world.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 08:52AM

Gee, that fictional spouse resembled someone I know. LOL

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:55AM

Good one. That really highlights that there are many more reasons to leave the church than just rocks in hat, BoA and Tapirs. There's plenty of reason to leave just to preserve your own self respect.

Posted by: Patacon ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:03PM

This is a perfect analogy. How could a fallen apostate be so "inspired"???? I felt the tingling feelings of the spearmint, so I know with every fiber of my being that this is true....or it might have just been gas?

In all seriousness I really like this.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:28PM

Sadly, your whole family thinks she's perfect too, and all those other women you've known are just sluts.

But if you'll just do everything on her extensive "honey-do" list, you're gonna get some tonight - well if by "tonight" I mean like 50 years from now.

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:49PM

There are many, many organizations in this world that rip people off. But only a few of them claim to be the kingdom of God on earth (D & C 65) and a source of faultless moral guidance.

This is why the LDS Church can count itself among the organizations in this world that do harm. It must be opposed.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 04:47PM

To sum up why I left is simple. The church is based on deception and takes advantage of it's members. Who would want to belong and sacrifice for such an organization knowing this.

Posted by: Sheri L Dewped ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:19AM

In light of the recent string of Morg lies regarding garments and Joseph Smith's polygamy/polyandry, I think this very relevant thread deserves to be pondered once again.

Clearly, a person who tolerates consistent lies loses a piece of their humanity.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:35AM

I was raised by two liars. Temple recommend holders, too.

Posted by: Dieter F Yuckdorf ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 07:52AM

I think every LDS member needs to come to terms with the realization that their parents, though sincere, might be wrong when it comes to religion.

Why I am a member of the Church? The truth is that my great-great grandparents were living in Wales and were very poor. They were also uneducated and somewhat superstitious -- something very common at the time. These distant relatives were sold a bill of goods by a fraudulent religion and emigrated to the U.S. Under the despotic rule of Brigham Young, these people raised their children to be Morgbots. The children, in turn, raised their children to be Morgbots, etc. In other words, the false religion simply gets passed down to children by well-intentioned, but ignorant, parents.

So, if anyone here BIC and is active LDS, please consider that your parents are capable of being victims of their upbringing, and then unintentionally perpetuating the fraud on you.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:46AM

You know, that's a really good way to put it. I've been struggling to put it into words without going into all the 'issues', which have been hashed and re-hashed with a particular family member and this sums it up really well.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 12:59AM

Good thread...Thank you!!!

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 02:37AM

Good analogy.

Next, have your children tell you that your spouse has been throwing them on the floor out of bed, and kicking them, and shoving them into a car and driving them to church, and forcing them to stay at church--partially dressed, unshowered, uncombed hair--while you are away doing something nice for your spouse. (I was rehearsing and playing the organ.) The priesthood leaders did this to my sons. Why did your spouse abuse your children, who are good kids? They were too sleepy from their early morning paper routes, and fell asleep. LDS is not a church that has a later meeting or an afternoon meeting, to give members a choice of time.

Could you love a spouse that punishes your children like they are hardened criminals, and threaten them to LIE to you and not tell you about the abuse?

What if your spouse molested your little girl?

Sometimes, I feel that just leaving--just divorcing the cult--isn't enough. I want to see the cult go under.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 02:39AM by forestpal.

Posted by: fluffinatorb ( )
Date: October 23, 2014 09:23AM

Perfect!...unlike your fictional spouse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.