Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LongTimeAnon ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 02:17PM

I've been out for a while, but I find myself missing so many of the good things about LDS practices. I loved seeing those families getting ready for the temple Sunday mornings. I loved how family-centered it all was. I loved family time together.

And then there are scriptures that lift my spirits now even as someone who has distance with the church.

“But the Lord knoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words. And thus it is. Amen.”

—1 Nephi 9:6

What do you miss about the church, in all seriousness? (No catty comments please.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 02:23PM

I don't understand the phrase, "getting ready for the temple Sunday mornings." Its church on Sunday.

In all seriousness I don't miss anything about the church. Families getting ready to go equals children being indoctrinated.

Family centered? Have you read the heartbreak here the church causes.

I am having a hard time buying the you are here to recover.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 04:52PM

Isn't it exciting to find out if apostates miss anything about the church you scarcely remember?

Kathleen Waters

Posted by: mags ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 02:48PM

The mormon church does not have a corner on goodness, moral integrity or clean living.

You can now choose the positive things that you know and incorporate them into your life.

I miss nothing. I have a gay son and there is no amount of good they could do that could offset the destructive behavior and attitudes that have been directed at me for supporting my son.

They are the meanest, self serving bunch of people I have ever
encountered. They are nothing short of bullies. "family centered?" You must be kidding. Everything is conditional.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 02:50PM

I miss the sense of community.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 02:50PM

Hmmmmm, good question. Let me think, what do I miss? Oh, yeah, NOTHING!

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 02:57PM

Mormons do not go to temple on sunday mornings. Temples are closed then.

The mormon religion is extremely anti families spending time together. If the father is in a leadership position the family can go almost the full day sunday NOT seeing him.

WHy not just try being honest if you have a question?

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 11:15PM

That's what I was thinking..."loved family time together"? Like normal people don't spend time with their families? I have just as much time for my family now, and we'd have far more quality time if my TBM wife would let it go.

Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 03:04PM

I miss some things about the Mormonism I grew up with. The great activities, the sense of community... and let's be honest, it was kind of fun getting into the deep (crazy) doctrine for hours on end with your (crazy) Mormon friends. Even when I had started to figure out the scam, those things kind of held on to me for a while. What would keep anyone there now is beyond me.

Posted by: sassenach ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 04:22PM

I don't miss anything about 'Mormonism'. What I do miss is my family, my clan, my tribe. We get along okay, but they are wary of me. I am no longer one of them although I still share the same core values of character and principles. I have not been able to find a clan outside of the Mormon construct that have these same core values. I am alone in the world, an outlander.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2014 04:25PM by sassenach.

Posted by: optional2 ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 04:42PM

I miss the time we could have spent with our sons instead of in separate meetings at church.

I miss their respecting my judgement since they woke up to what the "Mormon church is" before we did, also since I taught them the Mormon scriptures and rules and required they attend till they were old enough to stay home by themselves ... etc.

I miss the tithing funds that we could have saved for our son's college education instead of them needing to join the military and now be scattered to three different states.

I miss my extended family respecting me or talking to me (I still believe in integrity, kindness and truth)

Posted by: Zeniff ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 05:00PM

OP: Yeah, I have a hard time buying it as well. If you were "out," I think you would have realized that the LDS have no monopoly on "family time" or good deeds or general morality.

If you still have some vestiges of belief in you, then a more mainstream Christian church would have plenty of things to do on Sundays that really emphasize the importance of family. If you are TBM, then I am sure that you "know" all other churches are apostate and wrong, so therefore couldn't have any goodness to them.

If, indeed you are really an "ex-Mo," and you just don't believe at all anymore, then any state park should be a place where you see plenty of family time.

Posted by: unabashed ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 05:14PM

The gullibility of the members to accept incredible claims and demands from their leaders.

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 05:21PM

someone here once said:

what is good about mormonism is not unique

what is unique about mormonism is not good

anything you miss about mormonism can be found somewhere else (minus the mormon baggage)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 10:42PM

Could not be said any better than that thar!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 05:27PM

I guess I kind of miss belonging to a community or club. For the most part people were friendly and you had a lot of "friends" or a large "family" that you could meet up with two or three times a week.

Of course belonging to a club where everyone believes in something that is made up was the reason I left.

Why did you leave the church?

Posted by: mags ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 05:41PM

I had a lot of friends but they scattered like the wind and very few remain. When friendship is conditional, there is nothing you can count on when the chips are down. People who are really your friends stand by you during the hard times. They don't shun you because you have a gay child. They don't talk about you to church leaders. They don't just show up when they are assigned.
They don't stick their head in on the 31st of October to introduce themselves as your visiting teacher, most of all, however, You never have to wonder if they care about you. They show you is so many small and seemingly insignificant ways that they always watch your back and take care of you as you do them.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 06:05PM

There is not a thing, and certainly not "things", that I miss about the Church-cult. I was betrayed by this organization and betrayal smarts in a big way.

I was told that the church was the best thing that had happened to mankind. How can the best thing turn out to tell lies left and right, keep parents so busy they do not know where their kids are, and go behind apostate parents backs to steal their children?

No, betrayal is so hurtful and so evil, and that is what the Church-cult chooses to do.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 06:35PM

I had a fun time during my YW time I probably would have had just as much fun if not more if I would have been a Girl Scout.

Posted by: NeedToVent ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 07:22PM

I was a Girl Scout and in yw and even with more liberal, non-morridor leaders Girl Scouts was 1000x more fun. Girl Scouts get to actually have a real say in what you do for fun and what goals you have, plus we could fundraise so we could actually do those activities. In YW even if you were supposed to be planing the activities the leaders would constantly have to shut them down because they didn't have enough church stuff, or there was not enough money, or all activities had to be done at the same time on Wed night, or some other limitation. I had fun at girls camp but I also ignored all the churchy stuff and because I was a Girl Scout the camp environment we were in was like a hotel (cabins with cots compared to GS camping where we would bring and set up our own tents, cook all our own food outside, and plan our own activities all day). YW can't be more like Girl Scouts though because that would teach girls to think for themselves

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 06:49PM

I don't miss that nasty subculture. And that goes double for the liars who pimp it. They're not missed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2014 07:22PM by donbagley.

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 06:53PM

Don't miss one thing about it. Not one.

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 07:01PM

I miss the time and energy I could have spent somewhere else besides the LDS church.

I miss the love I gave to someone who would not return it, for the simple fact that I could never be a Molly Mormon.

When I think of him still in the LDS church, I feel like I'm watching him stand inside a burning building, refusing to be rescued.

Although I was only a member of the church for two years, I feel a sense of pain and loss when I read stories here about people who gave their whole lives to the church...only to be cast away like stones when they were no longer useful.

I love people too much to love anything about the LDS church.

I can only ask myself how I ever hated myself enough to join.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 10:48PM

"No catty comments please" = do not tell the truth.

Posted by: Searcher ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 10:49PM

I miss the awful food brought to pot lucks that gave me serious gastric disturbance.

(I heat a lot here about molly mormons, stay at home mothers, etc
but almost none of them seem to be able to cook! Am I missing something?)

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 10:50PM

Born in the COVENant reminds me of Halloween, one of my favorite holidays. I hope that wasn't catty, meow!

godtoldmetorun - "I feel like I'm watching him stand inside a burning building, refusing to be rescued" - this is exactly how I feel about my whole family. It is sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2014 10:52PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 10:59PM

At one point I might have said that I miss the community, but I have met enough wonderful people on the outside I can no longer honestly say that.

I don't miss scriptures; if I wanted to read them, I still have my quad, and the scrips are all online.

There really isn't anything I miss anymore. Life on the outside is really too satisfying to look back on Mormonism with longing.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 11:03PM

I miss my ward quilting guild. I tried going after I left the church, but it felt super awkward.

Other than that, I don't miss a thing.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 11:03PM

Swear to god, the only thing I miss is the feeling of euphoria, that feeling of pure joy when the BS of church was over, going home to the smell of roast cooking.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 11:08PM

The fun I had skipping SS with my pals so we could head for the Chinese confectionery for junk food....nothing else was memorable.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:03AM

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:08AM

Well, fuck. Now I HAVE to go back to church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.