Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 01:45PM

Mormons have four versions of the Ten Commandments, not counting those in the Joseph Smith Translation separately. I suspect that few Mormons can say where to find all four versions in the scriptures.

I suspect also that few Mormons (or even few Christians, who have only three versions) can say which version is actually labeled as "the ten commandments."

(Answer later)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Duke of Earl Grey ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 02:18PM

Without cheating, I can't name them all, so I'll have to do the best I can, and employ language stating my uncertainty.

The most well-known set of Ten Commandments would have to be Exodus 20, but the Biblical text doesn't actually call them that. There is another set actually referred to as the Ten Commandments, which I believe is found later on in Exodus somewhere, or possibly Deuteronomy? It consists of some of the same commandments from Exodus 20, but some different, I think. I have no idea where the third Biblical version would be.

As for a fourth version only Mormons have, Abinidi goes over them in Mosiah 12-13, but I think they're just the same items as the Exodus 20 version. I think D&C has a list of commandments somewhere, which may be the one you're referring to, in Section 42 maybe?

Well, now I have to go look...

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 09:49AM

Well here I am patiently waiting for sunday school to start.

Did HJ have a special 10 or what?

I'm all ears, Richard.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:38AM

Checking imdb.... easy to find there. And THAT'S the most reliable of all the versions.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 11:25AM

Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5 both have a listing of the commandments. They are mostly the same, except that the reason for the Sabbath commandment is different.

The Book of Mormon has a listing in Mosiah 12 and 13, somewhat scattered, but essentially the same as the Exodus 20 list.

Then there is a list at Exodus 34, where the commandments are:
1. No other god
2. No molten images
3. Keep the feast of unleavened bread
4. All firstlings are God's
5. Keep the Sabbath
6. Observe the feast of weeks, the feast of firstfruits of wheat, and feast of ingathering
7. All men appear three times a year at the temple
8. No blood sacrifices with leaven, no leaving the passover feast until the next morning
9. Firstfruits must be brought to the temple
10. Do not boil a kid in its mother's milk

These commandments are called (v. 28) "the ten commandments." This is the only list that is specifically called that.

Scholars attribute this list to the J source. The Exodus 20 list is attributed to the P source, and the Deut 5 list to the D source.

Note that the ban on boiling a kid in its mother's milk is the source for the strict Jewish custom of keeping dairy and meet products and utensils completely separate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.